USADA charge Armstrong with doping

great respect for dave walsh. let's see how it plays out when it gets before the panel. armstrong is already trying to have this judged through the press and social media.

All Armstrong has to do is present his case to a Federal Judge and ask to declare USADA's process unconstitutional. Then USADA and Travis Tygart wont seem so confident if they have to play by rules that they did not write.

Then USADA and Travis Tygart wont seem so confident if they have to play by rules that they did not write.

Agreed.

The trouble with 'The Rules' is that they keep changing.

Lance went thru his career and didn't get busted.

Well...the magic TUE was weird, but it's all ancient history. Same with Jan.

All the he said/she said stuff is BS.

All Armstrong has to do is present his case to a Federal Judge and ask to declare USADA's process unconstitutional. Then USADA and Travis Tygart wont seem so confident if they have to play by rules that they did not write.
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

There's always one.

wonder why armstrong is afraid of what his teammates have to say? taking this to court really smacks of desperation, especially since he's never had a cross word to say about any sports doping agency when they've moved against his competitors.

Originally Posted by slovakguy .

wonder why armstrong is afraid of what his teammates have to say? taking this to court really smacks of desperation, especially since he's never had a cross word to say about any sports doping agency when they've moved against his competitors.
I haven't followed this story closely.

From what I understand a whole load of his team mates under questioning by the FBI say that he doped?
And there are discrepancies between his biological passport and dope test results from 2009/10?

This is the crux of the USADA case?

taking this to court really smacks of desperation

Not really. It's what he has done serveral times in the past.

His lawyers are top shelf.

But by late today, Judge Sam Sparks had already rejected the suit in a strongly worded order that said Armstrong appeared to be playing to the media more than to the legal system.
"This Court is not inclined to indulge Armstrong's desire for publicity, self-aggrandizement, or vilification of Defendants, by sifting through eighty mostly unnecessary pages in search of the few kernels of factual material relevant to his claims," Sparks wrote in the order.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/lance-armstrong-suit-dismiss-doping-case-thrown/story?id=16740965

Originally Posted by limerickman .

But by late today, Judge Sam Sparks had already rejected the suit in a strongly worded order that said Armstrong appeared to be playing to the media more than to the legal system.
"This Court is not inclined to indulge Armstrong's desire for publicity, self-aggrandizement, or vilification of Defendants, by sifting through eighty mostly unnecessary pages in search of the few kernels of factual material relevant to his claims," Sparks wrote in the order.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/lance-armstrong-suit-dismiss-doping-case-thrown/story?id=16740965

I reckon he's go an up hill battle ahead, either way it's not good for the sport.

Originally Posted by steve .

I reckon he's go an up hill battle ahead, either way it's not good for the sport.
I think you're right, Steve.

It has got to the stage, unfortunately, that people opinions have become so ingrained that no matter what the outcome is - he will remain the most divisive figure in our sport.

The verdict will not change peoples opinions.

From what I understand a whole load of his team mates under questioning by the FBI say that he doped?
And there are discrepancies between his biological passport and dope test results from 2009/10?

Even Hincapie, one who was described as his most loyal lieutenant is on the list. Those that believe his guilt will say "I told you so". Supporters will scream conspiracy.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Even Hincapie, one who was described as his most loyal lieutenant is on the list. Those that believe his guilt will say "I told you so". Supporters will scream conspiracy.
Agreed, JH.

Regardless of the outcome of any case, people's opinions are fixed at this point.
He's the most divisive figure in our sport.

in the main, you are correct. just the details a bit askew. the information was gathered by nowitzki and the testimony we believe usada refer to was given in the grand jury. smart money on blood manipulation angle is that blood information posted from the giro-tour from the time armstrong was running his own "bio-passport" with don catlin and the subsequent uci bio-passport samples.

since usada are being commendably tight-lipped about the case (and one can well imagine how armstrong's camp would spin that matter if even a hint of the evidence went to the press.) to limit any hint of impropriety, we are really only making educated guesses. like jh, i have to figure that the most damning bit armstrong faces is the cumulative weight of teammate testimony, even if they don't have photos of armstrong jabbing himself with a hypo. i, admittedly, can't wait for the details to come out, if only to see how close walsh came to the truth.

IMO, too much time has passed and LA has passed way too many drug tests for there to be any reasonable sort of conclusion to this matter. I think a bunch of those guys are just jealous that they had to ride second fiddle to someone who had a brain tumor, lost a testicle and darn near died, then won 7 TdFs.

They need to be looking forward at cleaning up all sports, not stuck in the past shuffling titles around.

past is prologue.

were they were only looking to shuffle titles or settle old scores, i might find myself in agreement with you. perhaps it is a declaration that the truth, regardless of timelines, has a higher priority than letting sleeping dogs lie. sometimes a society has to take its moral stance. i don't think less of thomas jefferson as an intellect or founding father because he was a slave holder and forced himself on sally hemmings.

Reactions: lance_armstrong
IMHO, this whole matter rests on the issue of whether or not to let what may be the most incredible lie in the history of cycling continue to exist. If the evidence is there, and the scope of Armstrong's unrivaled success is based on lies, there must be some kind of accountability, even if too many years have passed. If he is truly found to have cheated to win all of those TDFs, then he has set a new standard for the greedy pursuit of success, and it cannot be ignored or rationalized any longer. I love this sport, and more than anything, I just want the truth to come out.

Originally Posted by slovakguy .

past is prologue.

were they were only looking to shuffle titles or settle old scores, i might find myself in agreement with you. perhaps it is a declaration that the truth, regardless of timelines, has a higher priority than letting sleeping dogs lie. sometimes a society has to take its moral stance. i don't think less of thomas jefferson as an intellect or founding father because he was a slave holder and forced himself on sally hemmings.

Letting sleeping dogs lie is not guarantee that this issue will go away.
For what it's worth, I don't think an adverse finding against Armstrong will make the issue go away either.

But faced with these two outcomes I think there is a better chance of the sport moving on if the USADA case against him is upheld.

...then he has set a new standard for the greedy pursuit of success

Meh. Even Eddie doped.

I love this sport and could not possibly care less that Eddie doped.

But, since he was sanctioned back in 1970what?, let's just go back and take away all his wins. Screw Eddie. Dopage!!

And that Moser *******! Blood doping just to get the farking hour record? We need Congress to look into that!

Yeah...they cheated.

Evidently di Grigorio held up Eddie as his idol.

Pete Rose lost a bet and The Rocket won one. Life goes on.