Uscf Refuses To Uphold Hamilton Ban!

Scotty_Dog said:
But, but, but..............

He shouldn't even be near a bicycle, much less be allowed to sit on one and race it in his own fundraiser! The nerve of some Americans - when will we learn to play by the rules? :rolleyes:

And Floyd just won Paris-Nice. Uh oh....

I still don't like Tyler. He is a doper, a whiner, and cannot handle a bike for his life (didn't they used to say that the entire CSC staff would tremble in terror on each TdF downhill?).

But please understand: nothing against Americans in general. I am married to one after all! :D

Not going to ban, they already have if I read the current regulation correctly.

"No License holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental, or world calendar or that has not been recognized by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI."

Which would include most charity rides, including THF rides, unless the charity seeks the approval of the UCI or another cycling federation.

So the UCI has probably been giving that rule 'a wink and a nod' until now - how could a charity ride cause problems? TH's name so prominently mentioned with the charity ride might cause consternation as he is still serving his ban, and is widely regarded to be an unrepentant doper.

Still, for the governing body of cycling to be leaving a rule like this open to arbitrary judgment does not speak well for them. Major money is involved with cycling, has been for a number of years. Time to stop running the UCI like a private club, circumventing laws as it suits their purposes. Either enforce the rules, or change them. Arbitrarily applying one rule makes me wonder how many other rules they are enforcing in a similar fashion.

The weather in PA isn't that bad, mid 40's... but the wind is incredible. It's going to be blustry for the next week, and I can't think of a week that hasn't had more 20+mph wind days than not.

JohnO said:
Not going to ban, they already have if I read the current regulation correctly.

"No License holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental, or world calendar or that has not been recognized by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI."

Which would include most charity rides, including THF rides, unless the charity seeks the approval of the UCI or another cycling federation.

So the UCI has probably been giving that rule 'a wink and a nod' until now - how could a charity ride cause problems? TH's name so prominently mentioned with the charity ride might cause consternation as he is still serving his ban, and is widely regarded to be an unrepentant doper.

Still, for the governing body of cycling to be leaving a rule like this open to arbitrary judgment does not speak well for them. Major money is involved with cycling, has been for a number of years. Time to stop running the UCI like a private club, circumventing laws as it suits their purposes. Either enforce the rules, or change them. Arbitrarily applying one rule makes me wonder how many other rules they are enforcing in a similar fashion.

This is clearly an attempt by the Nazis at UCI to shut down a clear nice guy fundraiser event. The other part of it is that it certainly could be construed as Tyler trying to "race" without a license or in spite of a ban. But what the UCI is doing is putting pressure on other PROS to not break ranks and side with "convicted cheats" to quote our immoderate moderator by doing charity races.

This would prevent Lance from having done his last 8 Ride for the Roses in Austin as well as any of the pros who went. Pros add lots of attraction to an event by being there--LAF, Davis Phinney's org, Tyler's org...and also the UCI knows that Tyler has a number of events planned around cycling
like the Jester Hill Climb in Austin TX.

bobke said:
This is clearly an attempt by the Nazis at UCI to shut down a clear nice guy fundraiser event. The other part of it is that it certainly could be construed as Tyler trying to "race" without a license or in spite of a ban. But what the UCI is doing is putting pressure on other PROS to not break ranks and side with "convicted cheats" to quote our immoderate moderator by doing charity races.

This would prevent Lance from having done his last 8 Ride for the Roses in Austin as well as any of the pros who went. Pros add lots of attraction to an event by being there--LAF, Davis Phinney's org, Tyler's org...and also the UCI knows that Tyler has a number of events planned around cycling
like the Jester Hill Climb in Austin TX.

Hmm.

You miss the point.
Hamilton is a convicted doper who has been banned by the UCI.
While the fundraiser events are not UCI-National Federation sanctioned events : the fact that pros within the ambit of the UCI are participating alongside someone who is banned does send out the wrong signal.

I've been speaking with a contact at the UCI - and I can tell you that their attitude is that the doping scandal and the entire doping issue and their consequences, have started to radicalise the UCI in to taking action.
Can't go in to too many details I'm afraid but there you go.

My own suggestion to the UCI was to legislate to prevent UCI riders participating in events with riders who are currently banned.
In that way, the events can go ahead as normal but without UCI-sanctioned
participants.

limerickman said:
Hmm.

You miss the point.
Hamilton is a convicted doper who has been banned by the UCI.
While the fundraiser events are not UCI-National Federation sanctioned events : the fact that pros within the ambit of the UCI are participating alongside someone who is banned does send out the wrong signal.

I've been speaking with a contact at the UCI - and I can tell you that their attitude is that the doping scandal and the entire doping issue and their consequences, have started to radicalise the UCI in to taking action.
Can't go in to too many details I'm afraid but there you go.

My own suggestion to the UCI was to legislate to prevent UCI riders participating in events with riders who are currently banned.
In that way, the events can go ahead as normal but without UCI-sanctioned
participants.
This is sounding a bit McCarthy-esque to me...secret contacts nudge nudge wink wink.

but I should note a civil court has thrown out Hondo's ban from competing, and this turns WADA and its nonsense where it belongs, with a real court with real rules of evidence and procedures pointing it WADA's head is up its ****.

bobke said:
This is sounding a bit McCarthy-esque to me...secret contacts nudge nudge wink wink.

but I should note a civil court has thrown out Hondo's ban from competing, and this turns WADA and its nonsense where it belongs, with a real court with real rules of evidence and procedures pointing it WADA's head is up its ****.

Not McCarthyesque at all in fact.

If the contact was secret - I wouldn't have written about it here.
Fact is that the UCI imposed a ban on a rider.
That ban should be enforced.

my suggestion that instead of banning the event - and depriving a charity of hardsought funds - the UCI should prohibit any rider from participating at an event with a banned rider.
Kills two birds with the one stone.

limerickman said:
Not McCarthyesque at all in fact.

If the contact was secret - I wouldn't have written about it here.
Fact is that the UCI imposed a ban on a rider.
That ban should be enforced.

my suggestion that instead of banning the event - and depriving a charity of hardsought funds - the UCI should prohibit any rider from participating at an event with a banned rider.
Kills two birds with the one stone.
That actually makes more sense and accomplishes what the UCI wants which I would gather is no Tyler in big bike races (any if they can help it)
and letting the charity bike rides which are all the rage go on.

Happy St Patty's Day

hombredesubaru said:
That actually makes more sense and accomplishes what the UCI wants which I would gather is no Tyler in big bike races (any if they can help it)
and letting the charity bike rides which are all the rage go on.

Happy St Patty's Day

I've no doubt that Hamilton will be back competing once his ban finishes : then the UCI won't have any axe to grind.

limerickman said:
I've no doubt that Hamilton will be back competing once his ban finishes : then the UCI won't have any axe to grind.
Seems that Tyler has stepped aside so his races and buddies can compete according to velonews.com
Only makes sense...I mean I'm a fan but it could appear that he was sidestepping the rules.

I wonder if this means he WON"T do Mount Washington Hillclimb?

HenryLaRoy said:
The weather in PA isn't that bad, mid 40's... but the wind is incredible. It's going to be blustry for the next week, and I can't think of a week that hasn't had more 20+mph wind days than not.
the other day i was riding up a hill in east falls, PA. the headwind was so rough, that combined with the hill i couldn't go faster than like 5 miles an hour. Never rode in such strong winds before.

and in regards to the actual topic....

hamilton has no place riding in a race with health net, toyota united, etc. if he actually cared about his foundation, then he would put on the events but not use them as an excuse to circumvent his suspension. makes you wonder if the guy actually cares about the sport.