USCF Rule on wheel size??

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pista-1, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Pista-1

    Pista-1 Guest

    Does the USCF have a rule against the use of a 700c rear wheel and a 650c front wheel on a TT bike?
    I understand this combination is outlawed for UCI-sanctioned races, but what about regular USCF club
    TT's? I searched the 2002 USCF rule book and couldn't find any such ruling. I'm dealing with an
    overzealous, dickhead USCF official that is telling me that my bike is illegal and he won't let me
    start with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. AlexiG.

    Tags:

  2. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    "pista-1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does the USCF have a rule against the use of a 700c rear wheel and a 650c front wheel on a TT
    > bike? I understand this combination is outlawed for UCI-sanctioned races, but what about regular
    > USCF club TT's? I searched the 2002 USCF rule book and couldn't find any such ruling. I'm dealing
    > with an overzealous, dickhead USCF official that is telling me that my bike is illegal and he
    > won't let me start with it. Any help would be appreciated.

    You're right, he's wrong - the hard part will be getting him to admit it.

    Andy Coggan

  3. Phil Holman

    Phil Holman Guest

    "pista-1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:3EEFC520.4[email protected]...
    > Does the USCF have a rule against the use of a 700c rear wheel and a 650c front wheel on a TT
    > bike? I understand this combination is outlawed for UCI-sanctioned races, but what about regular
    > USCF club TT's? I searched the 2002 USCF rule book and couldn't find any such ruling. I'm dealing
    > with an overzealous, dickhead USCF official that is
    telling
    > me that my bike is illegal and he won't let me start with it. Any help would be appreciated.
    > Thanks. AlexiG.

    http://www.awod.com/gallery/probono/ccycle/Racing_Team/2003_Rule_Changes _Summary.pdf

    He is wrong for a club TT. In the summary of rule changes for 2003, there is something about
    adopting UCI rules for national championships.

    Phil Holman

  4. "pista-1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Does the USCF have a rule against the use of a 700c rear wheel and a 650c front wheel on a TT
    > bike? I understand this combination is outlawed for UCI-sanctioned races, but what about regular
    > USCF club TT's? I searched the 2002 USCF rule book and couldn't find any such ruling. I'm dealing
    > with an overzealous, dickhead USCF official that is telling me that my bike is illegal and he
    > won't let me start with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. AlexiG.

    Who's the moron official? The same one who told you you couldn't ride it on the track?

  5. Pista-1

    Pista-1 Guest

    Yes. I need to find that section in the rule book. page#? Thanks Mi Negro.

    Carl Sundquist wrote:

    > "pista-1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Does the USCF have a rule against the use of a 700c rear wheel and a 650c front wheel on a TT
    > > bike? I understand this combination is outlawed for UCI-sanctioned races, but what about regular
    > > USCF club TT's? I searched the 2002 USCF rule book and couldn't find any such ruling. I'm
    > > dealing with an overzealous, dickhead USCF official that is telling me that my bike is illegal
    > > and he won't let me start with it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. AlexiG.
    > >

    > Who's the moron official? The same one who told you you couldn't ride it on the track?

  6. Pista-1

    Pista-1 Guest

    Yes, I know, but I need some proof. I will lose if I get into an argument with him at the start
    line, in front of people. He's the "all-powerful" official remember? I'm sure you probably have one
    like him in your area. Thanks.

  7. "pista-1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Yes, I know, but I need some proof. I will lose if I get into an argument with him at the start
    > line, in front of people.

    Get him to prove it. Bring a 2003 rulebook and ask him to show you the rule.

    JT

  8. Shultz

    Shultz Guest

    Just went thru the 2003 rulebook and found nothing about wheelsize. This was a big thing about
    15 years ago and everyone was doing it for tt's. I would contact my district/state rep and see
    what they say.

    Nothing at all about mixing wheelsize on a road bike either, just specifies brakes, ect.

    Bob

  9. In article <[email protected]>, pista-1 <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Yes, I know, but I need some proof. I will lose if I get into an argument with him at the start
    > line, in front of people. He's the "all-powerful" official remember? I'm sure you probably have
    > one like him in your area. Thanks.

    Mark the following sections in your USCF rulebook and have them in had when you talk to this
    official next time. If you haven't been sent a 2003 rule rulebook then download it off the USAC
    website and print up the following sestions.

    Under USCF rule 1J Bicycles ( starting on page 25) you want section (c) whch talkes about Wheels and
    what is and isn't allowed. Since there is no mention of restrictions on wheels of different size
    then such wheels are alowed.

    The next section you want is on page 140 UCI regulations. The first paragraph under the bold title
    of UCI Regulations clearly states that These regulations ( refering to UCI bike rules) do not apply
    to USCF domestic domestic races

    > Andy Coggan wrote:
    >
    > > "pista-1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > Does the USCF have a rule against the use of a 700c rear wheel and a 650c front wheel on a TT
    > > > bike? I understand this combination is outlawed for UCI-sanctioned races, but what about
    > > > regular USCF club TT's? I searched the 2002 USCF rule book and couldn't find any such ruling.
    > > > I'm dealing with an overzealous, dickhead USCF official that is telling me that my bike is
    > > > illegal and he won't let me start with it. Any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > You're right, he's wrong - the hard part will be getting him to admit it.
    > >
    > > Andy Coggan

  10. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >Does the USCF have a rule against the use of a 700c rear wheel and a 650c front wheel on a TT bike?
    >I understand this combination is outlawed for UCI-sanctioned races, but what about regular USCF
    >club TT's? I searched the 2002 USCF rule book and couldn't find any such ruling. I'm dealing with
    >an overzealous, dickhead USCF official that is telling me that my bike is illegal and he won't let
    >me start with it. Any help would be appreciated.

    If the official is right, he should be able to point you to the proper section of the rule book. If
    he can't, then he is obviously wrong.