USDA National Nutrient Database, Release 16 (12/05/03)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mark Thorson, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    I knew USDA kept a database of the nutritional value of foods, but I didn't know what it was called.
    Their incompetently designed website certainly did not direct me toward this body of information --
    arguably the most important database they have. After much searching, finally Google gave me the
    name of the database, and with that the USDA search tool reluctantly coughed it up.

    Here is a link to the main database web page:
    http://warp.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR16/sr16.html

    And here is a link to page for searching the database: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-
    bin/nut_search.pl

    From there, I finally found what I wanted, the nutritional value of lotus root. It's almost
    identical to a potato, in terms of water content, carbohydrate, and calories. About triple the
    amount of fiber, but that's the only good thing you can say about it. That, and the holes.

    Tags:

  2. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Mark Thorson wrote:

    > I knew USDA kept a database of the nutritional value of foods, but I didn't know what it was
    > called. Their incompetently designed website certainly did not direct me toward this body of
    > information -- arguably the most important database they have. After much searching, finally
    > Google gave me the name of the database, and with that the USDA search tool reluctantly
    > coughed it up.

    The site doesn't have the world's best design, but it's certainly not hard either. In that sense
    it's good web IQ test.

    Anyone who has any trouble finding things on that site is lacking in search skills, IMO.
    You flunked.

  3. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 02:15:08 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mark Thorson wrote:
    >
    >> I knew USDA kept a database of the nutritional value of foods, but I didn't know what it was
    >> called. Their incompetently designed website certainly did not direct me toward this body of
    >> information -- arguably the most important database they have. After much searching, finally
    >> Google gave me the name of the database, and with that the USDA search tool reluctantly
    >> coughed it up.

    You can also download the whole database as Access or flat text delimited file for importation into
    other databases. I don't believe there's any sort of copyright restrictions.

    >The site doesn't have the world's best design, but it's certainly not hard either. In that sense
    >it's good web IQ test.
    >
    >Anyone who has any trouble finding things on that site is lacking in search skills, IMO.
    >You flunked.

    Using Google, search for "nutritional database usda" and it's the first hit.

    -sw

  4. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:

    > Using Google, search for "nutritional database usda" and it's the first hit.

    BOING!

  5. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:

    > Using Google, search for "nutritional database usda" and it's the first hit.

    You didn't understand my posting. The problem was finding the database on the USDA website. I found
    the name of it right away on Google, and once I had the actual name of it, I could find it on the
    USDA website. But I should not have had to leave the USDA website to find it. On their home page, or
    the homepage of one of their subsidiary organizations like the FNS, there should have been a button
    to get there.

    If you go to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office homepage, you can get right to the patent database
    in a few clicks. USDA isn't like that, or close to like that. I'm sorry you didn't understand that
    was the nature of my complaint.

  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 02:15:08 GMT, Reg <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Mark Thorson wrote:
    >>
    >>>I knew USDA kept a database of the nutritional value of foods, but I didn't know what it was
    >>>called. Their incompetently designed website certainly did not direct me toward this body of
    >>>information -- arguably the most important database they have. After much searching, finally
    >>>Google gave me the name of the database, and with that the USDA search tool reluctantly
    >>>coughed it up.
    >
    > You can also download the whole database as Access or flat text delimited file for importation
    > into other databases. I don't believe there's any sort of copyright restrictions.

    No federal government publications are copyrighted.

    >>The site doesn't have the world's best design, but it's certainly not hard either. In that sense
    >>it's good web IQ test.
    >>
    >>Anyone who has any trouble finding things on that site is lacking in search skills, IMO. You
    >>flunked.
    >
    > Using Google, search for "nutritional database usda" and it's the first hit.

    How unfair of you to notice <g>

    Pastorio

  7. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 03:04:45 GMT, Mark Thorson <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking Followup-To: alt.test

    Nothing worse than a sore loser.

    -sw

  8. <Rj>

    <Rj> Guest

    Thanks for the info !

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 02:08:46 GMT, Mark Thorson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I knew USDA kept a database of the nutritional value of foods, but I didn't know what it was
    >called. Their incompetently designed website certainly did not direct me toward this body of
    >information -- arguably the most important database they have. After much searching, finally Google
    >gave me the name of the database, and with that the USDA search tool reluctantly coughed it up.
    >
    >Here is a link to the main database web page:
    >http://warp.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR16/sr16.html
    >
    >And here is a link to page for searching the database: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-
    >bin/nut_search.pl
    >
    >From there, I finally found what I wanted, the nutritional value of lotus root. It's almost
    >identical to a potato, in terms of water content, carbohydrate, and calories. About triple the
    >amount of fiber, but that's the only good thing you can say about it. That, and the holes.

    <rj

  9. Curt Nelson

    Curt Nelson Guest

    > I knew USDA kept a database of the nutritional value of foods, but I didn't know what it
    > was called.

    They also have their entire database available for handheld devices. It's about 5 meg. I keep one in
    my Palm PDA and find it very handy.

    Hasta, Curt Nelson