USDA vets question agency's mad cow lab

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Pearl, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Pearl

    Pearl Guest

    USDA vets question agency's mad cow lab By Steve Mitchell United Press International 2-16-4

    WASHINGTON, Feb. 9 (UPI) -- The federal laboratory in Ames, Iowa, that conducts all of the nation's
    tests for mad cow disease has a history of producing ambiguous and conflicting results -- to the
    point where many federal meat inspectors have lost confidence in it, Department of Agriculture
    veterinarians and a deer rancher told United Press International.

    The veterinarians also claim the facility -- part of the USDA and known as the National Veterinary
    Services Laboratories -- has refused to release testing results to them and has been so secretive
    some suspect it is covering up additional mad cow cases.

    Distrust of the NVSL is so widespread among USDA veterinarians and meat inspectors it limits mad cow
    disease surveillance "tremendously," said a veterinarian with more than 25 years of experience with
    the agency.

    The veterinarian, who requested anonymity because he feared repercussions, said many agency
    inspectors do not consider it worth the trouble to inspect cows closely for signs of mad cow disease
    or to send brain samples to the NVSL because there is little chance the lab will issue a positive
    result, even if the cow is infected.

    In some instances, when USDA veterinarian inspectors have sent brains from cows they suspected of
    having mad cow disease, NVSL staff members have said they did not receive enough brain tissue or
    that they received the wrong part of the brain, the veterinarian explained.

    The inspectors insisted they sent in the entire brain, "but that is the end of the story," he added.

    The USDA's official stance is that the U.S. beef supply is free of mad cow disease, or bovine
    spongiform encephlopathy, but the veterinarian said, "Most agency veterinarians know mad cow is
    prevalent and epidemic (in U.S. herds). We're not talking about one or two cases."

    An international panel of mad cow experts, commissioned by the USDA to review the agency's response
    to the animal that tested positive for mad cow in Washington state in December, reached a similar
    conclusion in a report they issued last week.

    The panel said it was "probable" additional infected cows had been imported from Canada and Europe,
    some of which had been turned into cow feed and indigenously infected U.S. herds.

    The concern is humans can contract a fatal brain disease known as variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
    from eating meat contaminated with the agent that causes mad cow disease.

    "The USDA has such a cohesive relationship with industry" that it wants to protect the $70 billion
    beef industry more than consumers, the veterinarian said, and noted colleagues with whom he is in
    close contact think the agency's mad cow surveillance program "is a laughing matter."

    When asked to comment for this story, USDA spokesman Jim Rogers requested UPI forward its questions
    about NVSL via e-mail. Although UPI complied with this request, the agency did not respond.

    ..................' http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040209-061848-3665r

    Tags:

  2. John Gaquin

    John Gaquin Guest

    Wouldn't it seem that any concerned vets could send samples to an independent lab for confirmation?
    That would effectively squelch speculation.

  3. Pearl

    Pearl Guest

    "John Gaquin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Wouldn't it seem that any concerned vets could send samples to an independent lab for
    > confirmation? That would effectively squelch speculation.

    'Without an outside lab also conducting tests, "we are not going to have a very independent
    analysis. It's very easy to control the results," .. The international panel's report advised the
    USDA to decentralize its mad cow testing program and permit other labs around the country to conduct
    tests and help facilitate the rapid testing of suspect animals.

    Friedlander said decentralizing the testing would be a good start toward restoring confidence in the
    results. Right now, he added, "Nobody is actually questioning the lab" or conducting confirmation
    tests of the results. ..' http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20040209-061848-3665r

  4. Jon Leipzig

    Jon Leipzig Guest

    "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > USDA vets question agency's mad cow lab By Steve Mitchell United Press International

    > "The USDA has such a cohesive relationship with industry" that it wants to protect the $70 billion
    > beef industry more than consumers, the veterinarian said, and noted colleagues with whom he is in
    > close contact think the agency's mad cow surveillance program "is a laughing matter."

    "cohesive relationship" lol Actually the USDA (Inc) is the industry. The head PR wench, and the No.2
    guy both came to the agency from the Cattleman's Ass'n.

    Think it was this same wire service, upi, that's been trying for many months to get documentation to
    verify the USDA claim that they tested 20k cows.

    Imo, it's much ado about nothing. Recalling the major outbreak in the UK, about a dozen yrs ago (?),
    you'd think by now there's scientific proof that humans can catch it from cows. (the 140 or so,
    deaths in UK were not randomly distributed, they tended to occur in clusters). I suspect there's
    some other culprit than those prions, but all the research funding is limited to prions.

  5. Pearl

    Pearl Guest

    "Jon Leipzig" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "pearl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > USDA vets question agency's mad cow lab By Steve Mitchell United Press International
    >

    > > "The USDA has such a cohesive relationship with industry" that it wants to protect the $70
    > > billion beef industry more than consumers, the veterinarian said, and noted colleagues with whom
    > > he is in close contact think the agency's mad cow surveillance program "is a laughing matter."
    > >
    > "cohesive relationship" lol Actually the USDA (Inc) is the industry. The head PR wench, and the
    > No.2 guy both came to the agency from the Cattleman's Ass'n.
    >
    > Think it was this same wire service, upi, that's been trying for many months to get documentation
    > to verify the USDA claim that they tested 20k cows.
    >
    > Imo, it's much ado about nothing. Recalling the major outbreak in the UK, about a dozen yrs ago
    > (?), you'd think by now there's scientific proof that humans can catch it from cows. (the 140 or
    > so, deaths in UK were not randomly distributed, they tended to occur in clusters). I suspect
    > there's some other culprit than those prions, but all the research funding is limited to prions.

    <repost>

    Could Mad Cow Disease Already be Killing Thousands of Americans Every Year? by Michael Greger, M.D.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2004 by CommonDreams.org

    October 2001, 34-year-old Washington State native Peter Putnam started losing his mind. One month he
    was delivering a keynote business address, the next he couldn't form a complete sentence. Once
    athletic, soon he couldn't walk. Then he couldn't eat. After a brain biopsy showed it was Creutzfeldt-
    Jakob disease, his doctor could no longer offer any hope. "Just take him home and love him," the
    doctor counseled his family.[1,2,3] Peter's tragic death, October 2002, may have been caused by Mad
    Cow disease.

    Seven years earlier and 5000 miles away, Stephen Churchill was the first in England to die. His
    first symptoms of depression and dizziness gave way to a living nightmare of terrifying
    hallucinations; he was dead in 12 months at age 19.[4] Next was Peter Hall, 20, who showed the first
    signs of depression around Christmas, 1994. By the next Christmas, he couldn't walk, talk, or do
    anything for himself.[5] Then it was Anna's turn, then Michelle's. Michelle Bowen, age 29, died in a
    coma three weeks after giving birth to her son via emergency cesarean section. Then it was Alison's
    turn. These were the first five named victims of Britain's Mad Cow epidemic. They died from what the
    British Secretary of Health called the worst form of death imaginable, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, a
    relentlessly progressive and invariably fatal human dementia.[6] The announcement of their deaths,
    released on March 20, 1996 (ironically, Meatout Day[7]), reversed the British government's decade-
    old stance that British beef was safe to eat.[8]

    It is now considered an "incontestable fact" that these human deaths in Britain were caused by
    Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE), or Mad Cow disease.[9] Bovine means "cow or cattle,"
    spongiform means "sponge-like," and encephalopathy means "brain disease." Mad Cow disease is caused
    by unconventional pathogens called prions--literally infectious proteins--which, because of their
    unique structure, are practically invulnerable, surviving even incineration[10] at temperatures hot
    enough to melt lead.[11] The leading theory as to how cows got Mad Cow disease in the first place is
    by eating diseased sheep infected with a sheep spongiform encephalopathy called scrapie.[12]

    In humans, prions can cause Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), a human spongiform encephalopathy whose
    clinical picture can involve weekly deterioration into blindness and epilepsy as one's brain becomes
    riddled with tiny holes.

    We've known about Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease for decades, since well before the first mad cow was
    discovered in 1985. Some cases of CJD seemed to run in families; other cases seemed to just arise
    spontaneously in about one in a million people every year, and were hence dubbed "sporadic." The new
    form of CJD caused by eating beef from cows infected with Mad Cow disease, though, seemed to differ
    from the classic sporadic CJD.

    The CJD caused by infected meat has tended to strike younger people, has produced more psychotic
    symptoms, and has often dragged on for a year or more. The most defining characteristic, though, was
    found when their brains were sampled. The brain pathology was vividly reminiscent of Kuru, a disease
    once found in a New Guinea tribe of cannibals who ate the brains of their dead.[13] Scientists
    called this new form of the disease "variant" CJD.

    Other than Charlene, a 24 year old woman now so tragically dying in Florida, who was probably
    infected in Britain, there have been no reported cases of variant CJD in the U.S.[14] Hundreds of
    confirmed cases of the sporadic form of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, however, arise in the United
    States every year,[15] but the beef industry is quick to point out these are cases of sporadic CJD,
    not the new variant known to be caused by Mad Cow disease.[16] Of course, no one knows what causes
    sporadic CJD. New research, discussed below, suggests that not hundreds but thousands of Americans
    die of sporadic CJD every year, and that some of these CJD deaths may be caused by eating infected
    meat after all.

    Although the fact that Mad Cow disease causes variant CJD had already been strongly established,
    researchers at the University College of London nevertheless created transgenic mice complete with
    "humanized" brains genetically engineered with human genes to try to prove the link once and for
    all. When the researchers injected one strain of the "humanized" mice with infected cow brains, they
    came down with the same brain damage seen in human variant CJD, as expected. But when they tried
    this in a different strain of transgenic "humanized" mice, those mice got sick too, but most got
    sick from what looked exactly like sporadic CJD! The Mad Cow prions caused a disease that had a
    molecular signature indistinguishable from sporadic CJD. To the extent that animal experiments can
    simulate human results, their shocking conclusion was that eating infected meat might be responsible
    for some cases of sporadic CJD in addition to the expected variant CJD. The researchers concluded
    that "it is therefore possible that some patients with [what looks like] ... sporadic CJD may have a
    disease arising from BSE exposure."[17] Laura Manuelidis, section chief of surgery in the
    neuropathology department at Yale University comments, "Now people are beginning to realize that
    because something looks like sporadic CJD they can't necessarily conclude that it's not linked to
    [Mad Cow disease]..."[18]

    This is not the first time meat was linked to sporadic CJD. In 2001, a team of French researchers
    found, to their complete surprise, a strain of scrapie--"mad sheep" disease--that caused the same
    brain damage in mice as sporadic CJD.[19] "This means we cannot rule out that at least some sporadic
    CJD may be caused by some strains of scrapie," says team member Jean-Philippe Deslys of the French
    Atomic Energy Commission's medical research laboratory.[20]

    Population studies had failed to show a link between CJD and lamb chops, but this French research
    provided an explanation why. There seem to be six types of sporadic CJD and there are more than 20
    strains of scrapie. If only some sheep strains affect only some people, studies of entire
    populations may not clearly show the relationship. Monkeys fed infected sheep brains certainly come
    down with the disease.[21] Hundreds of "mad sheep" were found in the U.S. in 2003.[22] Scrapie
    remains such a problem in the United States that the USDA has issued a scrapie "declaration of
    emergency."[23] Maybe some cases of sporadic CJD in the U.S. are caused by sheep meat as well.[24]

    Pork is also a potential source of infection. Cattle remains are still boiled down and legally
    fed to pigs (as well as chickens) in this country. The FDA allows this exemption because no
    "naturally occurring" porcine (pig) spongiform encephalopathy has ever been found. But American
    farmers typically kill pigs at just five months of age, long before the disease is expected to
    show symptoms. And, because pigs are packed so tightly together, it would be difficult to spot
    neurological conditions like spongiform encephalopathies, whose most obvious symptoms are
    movement and gait disturbances. We do know, however, that pigs are susceptible to the disease--
    laboratory experiments show that pigs can indeed be infected by Mad Cow brains[25]--and hundreds
    of thousands of downer pigs, too sick or crippled by injury to even walk, arrive at U.S.
    slaughterhouses every year.[26]

    A number of epidemiological studies have suggested a link between pork consumption and sporadic CJD.
    Analyzing peoples' diet histories, the development of CJD was associated with eating roast pork,
    ham, hot dogs, pork chops, smoked pork, and scrapple (a kind of pork pudding made from various hog
    carcass scraps). The researchers concluded, "The present study indicated that consumption of pork as
    well as its processed products (e.g., ham, scrapple) may be considered as risk factors in the
    development of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease." Compared to people that didn't eat ham, for example,
    those who included ham in their diet seemed ten times more likely to develop CJD.[27] In fact, the
    USDA may have actually recorded an outbreak of "mad pig" disease in New York 25 years ago, but still
    refuses to reopen the investigation despite petitions from the Consumer's Union (the publishers of
    Consumer Reports magazine).[28]

    Sporadic CJD has also been associated with weekly beef consumption,[29] as well as the consumption
    of roast lamb,[30] veal, venison, brains in general,[31] and, in North America, seafood.[32,33] The
    development of CJD has also, surprisingly, been significantly linked to exposure to animal products
    in fertilizer,[34] sport fishing and deer hunting in the U.S.,[35] and frequent exposure to leather
    products.[36]

    We do not know at this time whether chicken meat poses a risk. There was a preliminary report of
    ostriches allegedly fed risky feed in German zoos who seemed to come down with a spongiform
    encephalopathy.[37] Even if chickens and turkeys themselves are not susceptible, though, they may
    become so-called "silent carriers" of Mad Cow prions and pass them on to human consumers.[38]
    Dateline NBC quoted D. Carleton Gajdusek, the first to be awarded a Nobel Prize in Medicine for his
    work on prion diseases,[39] as saying, "it's got to be in the pigs as well as the cattle. It's got
    to be passing through the chickens."[40] Dr. Paul Brown, medical director for the US Public Health
    Service, believes that pigs and poultry could indeed be harboring Mad Cow disease and passing it on
    to humans, adding that pigs are especially sensitive to the disease. "It's speculation," he says,
    "but I am perfectly serious."[41]

    The recent exclusion of most cow brains, eyes, spinal cords, and intestines from the human food
    supply may make beef safer, but where are those tissues going? These potentially infectious tissues
    continue to go into animal feed for chickens, other poultry, pigs, and pets (as well as being
    rendered into products like tallow for use in cosmetics, the safety of which is currently under
    review[42]). Until the federal government stops the feeding of slaughterhouse waste, manure, and
    blood to all farm animals, the safety of meat in America cannot be guaranteed.

    The hundreds of American families stricken by sporadic CJD every year have been told that it just
    occurs by random chance. Professor Collinge, the head of the University College of London lab, noted
    "When you counsel those who have the classical sporadic disease, you tell them that it arises
    spontaneously out of the blue. I guess we can no longer say that."

    "We are not saying that all or even most cases of sporadic CJD are as a result of BSE exposure,"
    Professor Collinge continued, "but some more recent cases may be-- the incidence of sporadic CJD has
    shown an upward trend in the UK over the last decade... serious consideration should be given to a
    proportion of this rise being BSE-related. Switzerland, which has had a substantial BSE epidemic,
    has noted a sharp recent increase in sporadic CJD."[43] In the Nineties, Switzerland had the highest
    rate of Mad Cow disease in continental Europe, and their rate of sporadic CJD doubled.[44]

    We don't know exactly what's happening to the rate of CJD in this country, in part because CJD is
    not an officially notifiable illness.[45] Currently only a few states have such a requirement.
    Because the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) does not actively monitor the disease on a national
    level,[46] a rise similar to the one in Europe could be missed.[47] In spite of this, a number of
    U.S. CJD clusters have already been found. In the largest known U.S. outbreak of sporadic cases to
    date,[48] five times the expected rate was found to be associated with cheese consumption in
    Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley.[49] A striking increase in CJD over expected levels was also reported
    in Florida[50] and New York (Nassau County)[51] with anecdotal reports of clusters of deaths in
    Oregon[52] and New Jersey.[53]

    Perhaps particularly worrisome is the seeming increase in CJD deaths among young people in this
    country. In the 18 years between 1979 and 1996, only a single case of sporadic CJD was found in
    someone under 30. Whereas between 1997 and 2001, five people under 30 died of sporadic CJD. So five
    young Americans dying in five years, as opposed to one young case in the previous 18 years. The true
    prevalence of CJD among any age group in this country remains a mystery, though, in part because it
    is so commonly misdiagnosed.[54]

    The most frequent misdiagnosis of CJD among the elderly is Alzheimer's disease.[55] Neither CJD nor
    Alzheimer's can be conclusively diagnosed without a brain biopsy,[56] and the symptoms and pathology
    of both diseases overlap. There can be spongy changes in Alzheimer's, for example, and senile
    Alzheimer's plaques in CJD.[57] Stanley Prusiner, the scientist who won the Nobel Prize for his
    discovery of prions, speculates that Alzheimer's may even turn out to be a prion disease as
    well.[58] In younger victims, CJD is more often misdiagnosed as multiple sclerosis or as a severe
    viral infection.[59]

    Over the last 20 years the rates of Alzheimer's disease in the United States have skyrocketed.[60]
    According to the CDC, Alzheimer's Disease is now the eighth leading cause of death in the United
    States,[61] afflicting an estimated 4 million Americans.[62] Twenty percent or more of people
    clinically diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, though, are found at autopsy not to have had
    Alzheimer's at all.[63] A number of autopsy studies have shown that a few percent of Alzheimer's
    deaths may in fact be CJD. Given the new research showing that infected beef may be responsible
    for some sporadic CJD, thousands of Americans may already be dying because of Mad Cow disease
    every year.[64]

    Nobel Laureate Gajdusek, for example, estimates that 1% of people showing up in Alzheimer clinics
    actually have CJD.[65] At Yale, out of a series of 46 patients clinically diagnosed with
    Alzheimer's, six were proven to have CJD at autopsy.[66] In another study of brain biopsies, out of
    a dozen patients diagnosed with Alzheimer's according to established criteria, three of them were
    actually dying from CJD.[67] An informal survey of neuropathologists registered a suspicion that CJD
    accounts for 2-12% of all dementias in general.[68] Two autopsy studies showed a CJD rate among
    dementia deaths of about 3%.[69,70] A third study, at the University of Pennsylvania, showed that 5%
    of patients diagnosed with dementia had CJD.[71] Although only a few hundred cases of sporadic CJD
    are officially reported in the U.S. annually,[72] hundreds of thousands of Americans die with
    dementia every year.[73] Thousands of these deaths may actually be from CJD caused by eating
    infected meat.

    The incubation period for human spongiform encephalopathies such as CJD can be decades.[74] This
    means it can be years between eating infected meat and getting diagnosed with the death sentence of
    CJD. Although only about 150 people have so far been diagnosed with variant CJD worldwide, it will
    be many years before the final death toll is known. In the United States, an unknown number of
    animals are infected with Mad Cow disease, causing an unknown number of human deaths from CJD. The
    U.S. should immediately begin testing all cows destined for human consumption, as is done in Japan,
    should stop feeding slaughterhouse waste to all farm animals (see
    http://organicconsumers.org/madcow/GregerBSE.cfm), and should immediately enact an active national
    surveillance program for CJD.[75]

    Five years ago this week, the Center for Food Safety, the Humane Farming Association, the Center for
    Media & Democracy, and ten families of CJD victims petitioned the FDA and the CDC to immediately
    enact a national CJD monitoring system, including the mandatory reporting of CJD in all 50
    states.[76] The petition was denied.[77] The CDC argued that their passive surveillance system
    tracking death certificate diagnoses was adequate. Their analysis of death certificates in three
    states and two cities, for example, showed an overall stable and typical one in a million CJD
    incidence rate from 1979 to
    1993.[78] But CJD is so often misdiagnosed, and autopsies are so infrequently done, that this system
    may not provide an accurate assessment.[79]

    In 1997, the CDC set up the National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center at Case Western
    Reserve University to analyze brain tissue from CJD victims in the U.S. in hopes of tracking any new
    developments. In Europe, surveillance centers have been seeing most, if not all, cases of CJD. The
    U.S. center sees less than half. "I'm very unhappy with the numbers," laments Pierluigi Gambetti ,
    the director of the Center. "The British and Germans politely smile when they see we examine 30% or
    40% of the cases," he says. "They know unless you examine 80% or more, you are not in touch."[80]
    "The chance of losing an important case is high."[81]

    One problem is that many doctors don't even know the Center exists. And neither the CDC nor the
    Center are evidently authorized to reach out to them directly to bolster surveillance efforts,
    because it's currently up to each state individually to determine how--or even whether--they will
    track the disease. In Europe, in contrast, the national centers work directly with each affected
    family and their physicians.[82] In the U.S., most CJD cases--even the confirmed ones--seem to just
    fall through the cracks. In fact, based on the autopsy studies at Yale and elsewhere, it seems most
    CJD cases in the U.S. aren't even picked up in the first place.

    Autopsy rates have dropped in the U.S. from 50% in the Sixties to less than 10% at present.[83]
    Although one reason autopsies are rarely performed on atypical dementia cases is that medical
    professionals are afraid of catching the disease,[84] the primary reason for the decline in autopsy
    rates in general appears to be financial. There is currently no direct reimbursement to doctors or
    hospitals for doing autopsies, which often forces the family to absorb the cost of transporting the
    body to an autopsy center and having the brain samples taken, a tab that can run upwards of
    $1500.[85]

    Another problem is that the National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center itself remains
    underfunded. Paul Brown, medical director for the National Institutes of Health, has described the
    Center's budget as "pitiful," complaining that "there isn't any budget for CJD surveillance."[86] To
    adequately survey America's 290 million residents, "you need a lot of money." UK CJD expert Robert
    Will explains, "There was a CJD meeting of families in America in which... [the CDC] got attacked
    fairly vigorously because there wasn't proper surveillance. You could only do proper surveillance if
    you have adequate resources."[87] "I compare this to the early days of AIDS," says protein chemist
    Shu Chen, who directs the Center's lab, "when no one wanted to deal with the crisis."[88]

    Andrew Kimbrell, the director of the Center for Food Safety, a D.C.-based public interest group,
    writes, "Given what we know now, it is unconscionable that the CDC is not strictly monitoring these
    diseases."[89] Given the presence of Mad Cow disease in the U.S., we need to immediately enact
    uniform active CJD surveillance on a national level, provide adequate funding not only for autopsies
    but also for the shipment of bodies, and require mandatory reporting of the disease in all 50
    states. In Britain, even feline spongiform encephalopathy, the cat version of Mad Cow disease, is an
    officially notifiable illness. "No one has looked for CJD systematically in the U.S.," notes NIH
    medical director Paul Brown. "Ever."[90]

    The animal agriculture industries continue to risk public safety, and the government seems to
    protect the industries' narrow business interests more than it protects its own citizens. Internal
    USDA documents retrieved through the Freedom of Information Act show that our government did indeed
    consider a number of precautionary measures as far back as 1991 to protect the American public from
    Mad Cow disease. According to one such document, however, the USDA explained that the "disadvantage"
    of these measures was that "the cost to the livestock and rendering industries would be
    substantial."[91]

    Plant sources of protein for farm animals can cost up to 30% more than cattle remains.[92] The
    Cattlemen's Association admitted a decade ago that animal agribusiness could indeed find
    economically feasible alternatives to feeding slaughterhouse waste to other animals, but that the
    they did not want to set a precedent of being ruled by "activists."[93]

    Is it a coincidence that USDA Secretary Veneman chose Dale Moore, former chief lobbyist for the
    National Cattlemen's Beef Association, as her chief of staff?[94] Or Alison Harrison, former
    director of public relations for the Cattlemen's Association, as her official spokeswoman?[95] Or
    that one of the new Mad Cow committee appointees is William Hueston, who was paid by the beef
    industry to testify against Oprah Winfrey in hopes of convicting her of beef "disparagement"?[96]
    After a similar conflict of interest unfolded in Britain, their entire Ministry of Agriculture was
    dissolved and an independent Food Safety Agency was created, whose sole responsibility is to protect
    the public's health. Until we learn from Britain's lesson, and until the USDA stops treating this as
    a PR problem to be managed instead of a serious global threat,
    [1994] millions of Americans will remain at risk.

    Michael Greger, M.D., has been the Chief BSE Investigator for Farm Sanctuary since 1993 and the Mad
    Cow Coordinator for the Organic Consumers Association since 2001.

    For periodic updates on the Mad Cow crisis send a blank email to DrGregerMadCowUpdates-
    [email protected]