Use aircraft cable tensiometer for spoke tension measurements?

I doubt it would meet your needs because the aircraft-cable tensions are a lot lower than anything
you'd need for spoking a bicycle wheel..

But, hey, I'm not an aircraft mechanic -- just a pilot who also builds bike wheels -- so see what
others say.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

I use one like this where I work. It has Three riser blocks. that allow you
to change, depending on cable diameter. If you can, you would want to kind
of calibrate it for a known tension, say on a set of wheels built by someone
who used a known good tensiometer. When they are calibrated they come back
with a correction table that corresponds to temp and cable size not really
designed for spokes. I believe you could use it.
news:[email protected]...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2383372016&category=42291

Michael P. Bassler writes:

> I use one like this where I work. It has Three riser blocks. that allow you to change, depending
> on cable diameter. If you can, you would want to kind of calibrate it for a known tension, say on
> a set of wheels built by someone who used a known good tensiometer. When they are calibrated they
> come back with a correction table that corresponds to temp and cable size not really designed for
> spokes. I believe you could use it.

When I first looked for a tensiometer, I came across this kind of instrument and wondered why they
chose to measure across the wire. The ones I found were too complicated to put on a spoke, the lever
being on the far side of the gauge with respect to the wire (spoke), sort of inside the wheel.

That's why I designed a one sided tensiometer that measures from the same side as the spoke support
and can be zeroed on the fly. 100 of these instruments were sold through DT a few years ago but it
seems that the features of the instrument, low test load and high precision gauge, zero-on-the-
spoke, and one sided measurement were not understood. Today there are only spoke tensiometers that
use a high test load, measuring across the spoke. None can be zeroed.

"I taught him everything I know and he still knows nothing!"

Jobst Brandt [email protected]