Use aircraft cable tensiometer for spoke tension measurements?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Perkins, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. MikeYankee

    MikeYankee Guest

    I doubt it would meet your needs because the aircraft-cable tensions are a lot lower than anything
    you'd need for spoking a bicycle wheel..

    But, hey, I'm not an aircraft mechanic -- just a pilot who also builds bike wheels -- so see what
    others say.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  3. I use one like this where I work. It has Three riser blocks. that allow you
    to change, depending on cable diameter. If you can, you would want to kind
    of calibrate it for a known tension, say on a set of wheels built by someone
    who used a known good tensiometer. When they are calibrated they come back
    with a correction table that corresponds to temp and cable size not really
    designed for spokes. I believe you could use it.
    "robert perkins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know if a cable tensiometer for aircraft cables can be used to measure spoke tension?

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2383372016&category=42291

  4. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    Michael P. Bassler writes:

    > I use one like this where I work. It has Three riser blocks. that allow you to change, depending
    > on cable diameter. If you can, you would want to kind of calibrate it for a known tension, say on
    > a set of wheels built by someone who used a known good tensiometer. When they are calibrated they
    > come back with a correction table that corresponds to temp and cable size not really designed for
    > spokes. I believe you could use it.

    When I first looked for a tensiometer, I came across this kind of instrument and wondered why they
    chose to measure across the wire. The ones I found were too complicated to put on a spoke, the lever
    being on the far side of the gauge with respect to the wire (spoke), sort of inside the wheel.

    That's why I designed a one sided tensiometer that measures from the same side as the spoke support
    and can be zeroed on the fly. 100 of these instruments were sold through DT a few years ago but it
    seems that the features of the instrument, low test load and high precision gauge, zero-on-the-
    spoke, and one sided measurement were not understood. Today there are only spoke tensiometers that
    use a high test load, measuring across the spoke. None can be zeroed.

    "I taught him everything I know and he still knows nothing!"

    Jobst Brandt [email protected]