Use Alien seat post with Selle Italia SLR...help...

encomium

Dec 23, 2006
hi again.....i've just gone out and bought myself a nice new Selle Italia (SI) Gel Flow saddle and got home only to read in the SI manual that they do not recommend seat posts with an alternate style clamping method (if that's how you describe it, it kind of looks like this _-_ ) and I have a Use Alien that is like that!

What should I do? is this bad? will it break the rails of my nice new saddle?

I had not idea that they were so sensitive....anyway, anyone who has seen the SI manual would have seen the recommed the conventional style seat brackets (like campy === )

Please help me....do i need a new post? or should it be fine....i was so looking forward to going for a ride on my new saddle...

:( :( :( :( :(

encomium said:
hi again.....i've just gone out and bought myself a nice new Selle Italia (SI) Gel Flow saddle and got home only to read in the SI manual that they do not recommend seat posts with an alternate style clamping method (if that's how you describe it, it kind of looks like this _-_ ) and I have a Use Alien that is like that!

What should I do? is this bad? will it break the rails of my nice new saddle?

I had not idea that they were so sensitive....anyway, anyone who has seen the SI manual would have seen the recommed the conventional style seat brackets (like campy === )

Please help me....do i need a new post? or should it be fine....i was so looking forward to going for a ride on my new saddle...

:( :( :( :( :(
I have an Alien seatpost and use it with my Specialized Toupe - so far with no ill effects. If I look very closely, I can see the rails bending a little bit, but not much at all. I imagine they bend substantially more when I'm actually seated on it. As long as you don't over-crank on the seatpost bolt, I imagine you'll be just fine.

My bike had an Alien Carbon seat post. I purchased a Selle Italia SLR Technologika Flow and found that the thicker carbon rails would not allow the clamps to seat properly.

Rather than take a chance, I bought and Easton 90 Zero and all was well in bike land.

As a side note, after removing the Alien, I found that whoever originally built the bike cut the Alien too short and was an accident waiting to happen. Glad I upgraded.

9202 said:
As a side note, after removing the Alien, I found that whoever originally built the bike cut the Alien too short and was an accident waiting to happen. Glad I upgraded.
This is the reason that I disassemble any bike that I purchase and reassemble it the way that I like it. Also I just like to work on bikes almost as much as riding them.

I have about 3000 km on my USE Alien with a SI SLR and have not had any problems. Many riders use this combination and I have not heard of anyone having problems.

Good luck with the set up, as I am sure you are aware the Alien can be a little finicky during initial adjustment. I found the the bolts needed to be tightened after the first few rides once you have it dialed in.