Use campagnolo ergo shifters with Shimano grouppo ?

cvone

Guest
Can I replace my Shimano STI shifters with Campagnolo ergo shifters?

The brake cables run out the side of my shimano shifters. I park my bike at
an extremely crowded bike rack at work and at home and the cables are
constantly getting snagged on handlebars, seats etc.

It's a real PITA, I'm willing to fork out $x00 for the equivalent Campy
units (with brake and shift cables running under the handlebar tape) if
they'll work - same index etc.

Thanks in advance,

cvone says...

> Can I replace my Shimano STI shifters with Campagnolo ergo shifters?
>
> The brake cables run out the side of my shimano shifters. I park my bike at
> an extremely crowded bike rack at work and at home and the cables are
> constantly getting snagged on handlebars, seats etc.
>
> It's a real PITA, I'm willing to fork out $x00 for the equivalent Campy
> units (with brake and shift cables running under the handlebar tape) if
> they'll work - same index etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,

I'm contemplating doing this too, probably next year. It isn't quite as
simple as just buying Campy shifters. From what I've gleaned your
choices are:

1. Get a Campy derailleur. This is supposed to work since the spacing
on Campy and Shimano cassettes is "close enough". You can get the Campy
derailleur with a Shift mate #1 if you aren't convinced that "close
enough" is good enough.

2. Get a Shift Mate #3 and keep your Shimano derailleur.

Web site for the Shift Mate:
http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

cvone wrote:
> Can I replace my Shimano STI shifters with Campagnolo ergo shifters?
>
> The brake cables run out the side of my shimano shifters. I park my bike at
> an extremely crowded bike rack at work and at home and the cables are
> constantly getting snagged on handlebars, seats etc.
>
> It's a real PITA, I'm willing to fork out $x00 for the equivalent Campy
> units (with brake and shift cables running under the handlebar tape) if
> they'll work - same index etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Get any 10s ERGO and any Campag RD...it is compatible with shimano 9s
cogset and chain...

Great replies so far, thanks.

My bike has 9s ..

news:[email protected]...

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:02:33 GMT, "cvone" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Great replies so far, thanks.
>
>My bike has 9s ..

Get Campy 10 speed shifters and hubbub connect to the existing rear der. Or get
Campy 9 shifters and rear der and just hook it up and ride. Peter reports even
better results using Campy 10 with shimano 9 but I haven't tried that one yet
myself.

Ron

>"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> cvone wrote:
>>> Can I replace my Shimano STI shifters with Campagnolo ergo shifters?
>>>
>>> It's a real PITA, I'm willing to fork out $x00 for the equivalent Campy
>>> units (with brake and shift cables running under the handlebar tape) if
>>> they'll work - same index etc.

>> The optimal strategy depends on whether you have 8s, 9s, or 10s. Which
>> do you have?

cvone says...

> Great replies so far, thanks.
>
> My bike has 9s ..

1. Do what Peter suggests and get a Campy derailleur with 10sp Ergo
shifters. The Shift Mate #1 is also listed as going with this combo,
but Peter says it is unnecessary, and he would know if anyone does.

2. Keep your Shimano derailleur and get a Shift Mate #2 along with 10sp
Ergo.

3. Keep your Shimano derailleur and get a Shift Mate #3 along with 9sp
Ergo.

Looks like the easiest (and cheapest) option is the ShiftMate#3 with 9sp
shifters.

Has anyone tried the ShiftMate unit?
Any issues with different indexing between the Campy shifter and a Shimano
front derailleur?

Thanks again,

news:[email protected]...

cvone wrote:
> Can I replace my Shimano STI shifters with Campagnolo ergo shifters?
>
> The brake cables run out the side of my shimano shifters. I park my bike at
> an extremely crowded bike rack at work and at home and the cables are
> constantly getting snagged on handlebars, seats etc.
>
> It's a real PITA, I'm willing to fork out $x00 for the equivalent Campy
> units (with brake and shift cables running under the handlebar tape) if
> they'll work - same index etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Have you considered the idea of Shimano 8/9/10SP barend shifters and a
pair of aero brake levers? Probably the least expensive solution and
barend shifters are absent the reliability issues surrounding both
Shimano (non-serviceable) and Campy (rebuild periodically) brifters.

"cvone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Looks like the easiest (and cheapest) option is the ShiftMate#3 with 9sp
> shifters.
>
> Has anyone tried the ShiftMate unit?
> Any issues with different indexing between the Campy shifter and a Shimano
> front derailleur?
>
> Thanks again,

I use Campy 10speed Ergo levers with a Shimano 9 speed Dura-Ace front and
rear derailleur. They shift as well as they did with the old Shimano
brifters, maybe better. I could have just bought a Campagnolo rear shifter
instead of the ShiftMate but I already had the DA one. It's really nice to
be able to trim the front derailleur as the old Shimano lever only allowed
one trim click. To my hands the Campy shifters are MUCH more comfortable.
The Dura-Ace units would always make my hands go numb. Plus, I love the
clean look without having to look at those dangling shift cables all the
time.

Tim McTeague

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 20:13:05 GMT, "cvone" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Looks like the easiest (and cheapest) option is the ShiftMate#3 with 9sp
>shifters.

Hubbub is cheaper than Shiftmate.

>Has anyone tried the ShiftMate unit?
>Any issues with different indexing between the Campy shifter and a Shimano
>front derailleur?

None at all. The Campy shifter has a large number of small ratchety clicks so it
doesn't need a perfect match. Works fine with any front der. The Shimano front
shifter OTOH is downright fussy.

Ron

>Thanks again,
>

>"Barnard Frederick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> cvone says...
>>
>>> Great replies so far, thanks.
>>>
>>> My bike has 9s ..

>> 1. Do what Peter suggests and get a Campy derailleur with 10sp Ergo
>> shifters. The Shift Mate #1 is also listed as going with this combo,
>> but Peter says it is unnecessary, and he would know if anyone does.
>>
>> 2. Keep your Shimano derailleur and get a Shift Mate #2 along with 10sp
>> Ergo.
>>
>> 3. Keep your Shimano derailleur and get a Shift Mate #3 along with 9sp
>> Ergo.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tim McTeague" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "cvone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Looks like the easiest (and cheapest) option is the ShiftMate#3 with 9sp
> > shifters.
> >
> > Has anyone tried the ShiftMate unit?
> > Any issues with different indexing between the Campy shifter and a Shimano
> > front derailleur?
> >
> > Thanks again,
> >

> I use Campy 10speed Ergo levers with a Shimano 9 speed Dura-Ace front and
> rear derailleur. They shift as well as they did with the old Shimano
> brifters, maybe better. I could have just bought a Campagnolo rear shifter
> instead of the ShiftMate but I already had the DA one. It's really nice to
> be able to trim the front derailleur as the old Shimano lever only allowed
> one trim click. To my hands the Campy shifters are MUCH more comfortable.
> The Dura-Ace units would always make my hands go numb. Plus, I love the
> clean look without having to look at those dangling shift cables all the
> time.
>
> Tim McTeague

I use Campy (new) 9 shifters, a Campy (old) 9 rder, and Shimano
cassettes. On the front I have an Ultegra derailer. The whole setup
works as well as any stock setup, and Shimano 9 cassettes are cheap as
chips and common as dirt; same goes for Shimano wheels.

Here's the best online shifting compatibility resource I know.
Amazingly, it's not a Sheldon Brown page:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

> cvone wrote:
>> Can I replace my Shimano STI shifters with Campagnolo ergo shifters?
>>
>> The brake cables run out the side of my shimano shifters. I park my bike at
>> an extremely crowded bike rack at work and at home and the cables are
>> constantly getting snagged on handlebars, seats etc.
>>
>> It's a real PITA, I'm willing to fork out $x00 for the equivalent Campy
>> units (with brake and shift cables running under the handlebar tape) if
>> they'll work - same index etc.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,

> Have you considered the idea of Shimano 8/9/10SP barend shifters and a
> pair of aero brake levers? Probably the least expensive solution and
> barend shifters are absent the reliability issues surrounding both
> Shimano (non-serviceable) and Campy (rebuild periodically) brifters.

I think he'd still have the cables sticking out in directions he doesn't
want. He could wrap the cables under the bar tape completely, but that
carries its own set of problems.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:13:44 -0400, dvt <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> cvone wrote:
>>> Can I replace my Shimano STI shifters with Campagnolo ergo shifters?
>>>
>>> The brake cables run out the side of my shimano shifters. I park my bike at
>>> an extremely crowded bike rack at work and at home and the cables are
>>> constantly getting snagged on handlebars, seats etc.
>>>
>>> It's a real PITA, I'm willing to fork out $x00 for the equivalent Campy
>>> units (with brake and shift cables running under the handlebar tape) if
>>> they'll work - same index etc.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,

>> Have you considered the idea of Shimano 8/9/10SP barend shifters and a
>> pair of aero brake levers? Probably the least expensive solution and
>> barend shifters are absent the reliability issues surrounding both
>> Shimano (non-serviceable) and Campy (rebuild periodically) brifters.

>I think he'd still have the cables sticking out in directions he doesn't
>want. He could wrap the cables under the bar tape completely, but that
>carries its own set of problems.

I've seen STI's with a noodle coming off the lever and the cable brought back to
the bar and under the tape. It apparently worked, but I wouldn't want to live
with it.

Ron

dvt wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > cvone wrote:
> >> Can I replace my Shimano STI shifters with Campagnolo ergo shifters?
> >>
> >> The brake cables run out the side of my shimano shifters. I park my bike at
> >> an extremely crowded bike rack at work and at home and the cables are
> >> constantly getting snagged on handlebars, seats etc.
> >>
> >> It's a real PITA, I'm willing to fork out $x00 for the equivalent Campy
> >> units (with brake and shift cables running under the handlebar tape) if
> >> they'll work - same index etc.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,

> > Have you considered the idea of Shimano 8/9/10SP barend shifters and a
> > pair of aero brake levers? Probably the least expensive solution and
> > barend shifters are absent the reliability issues surrounding both
> > Shimano (non-serviceable) and Campy (rebuild periodically) brifters.

> I think he'd still have the cables sticking out in directions he doesn't
> want.

IME, the cables can be routed in a way so as to be much less "in the
way" than with STI without compromising shifting performance. And,
barends are supremely reliable and long-lived. Inexpensive, too.

[email protected] wrote:
> IME, the cables can be routed in a way so as to be much less "in the
> way" than with STI without compromising shifting performance.

What routing is this?

I'm due to replace the cables and handlebar tape on my bike with bar-end
shifters, and I'm not completely satisfied with the "standard" method of
wrapping the cable for a few inches, then exiting in front of the bars.
I've not seen any alternative methods that I liked. I do have bars with
dual grooves, if that helps.

--

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:32:54 -0400, dvt <[email protected]> wrote:

>What routing is this?
>
>I'm due to replace the cables and handlebar tape on my bike with bar-end
>shifters, and I'm not completely satisfied with the "standard" method of
>wrapping the cable for a few inches, then exiting in front of the bars.
>I've not seen any alternative methods that I liked. I do have bars with
>dual grooves, if that helps.

You can route cables under the tape and exit like Ergo shifters. I
find it best to route the right shifter to the left cable stop and
then recross on the downtube. You will need a pretty long rear
derailleur cable.

RonSonic wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:13:44 -0400, dvt <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >[email protected] wrote:

> >> Have you considered the idea of Shimano 8/9/10SP barend shifters and a
> >> pair of aero brake levers? Probably the least expensive solution and
> >> barend shifters are absent the reliability issues surrounding both
> >> Shimano (non-serviceable) and Campy (rebuild periodically) brifters.

> >I think he'd still have the cables sticking out in directions he doesn't
> >want. He could wrap the cables under the bar tape completely, but that
> >carries its own set of problems.

> I've seen STI's with a noodle coming off the lever and the cable brought back to
> the bar and under the tape. It apparently worked, but I wouldn't want to live
> with it.
>
> Ron

Nokon cables and their corresponding segmented aluminum housing. Erik
Zabel had it on his bike when Telekom switched to Giant/Shimano several
years ago. Cycling News had a picture and description of it on their
website.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2004/tour04/tech/?id=jul13-1
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/tour04/tech/?id=jul13/18
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2004/tour04/tech/?id=jul13/zabel_bars

Paul Kopit wrote:
> You can route cables under the tape and exit like Ergo shifters. I
> find it best to route the right shifter to the left cable stop and
> then recross on the downtube. You will need a pretty long rear
> derailleur cable.

I've seen that idea, and I don't like it. Too much curvy cable housing.
I'm afraid that it will make my shifting too "fragile;" that is, any
other weaknesses in the cable run (i.e. goop under the bottom bracket)
will more readily manifest themselves in ways I don't like.