Use DuraAce Triple shifters with Ultegra front and rear der??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Thompson, Apr 13, 2003.

  1. Can Dura-Ace triple shifters be used with Ultegra triple running gear, specifically with an Ultegra
    triple front derailluer?

    TIA Dave Thompson Spokane, WA

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Dave Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Can Dura-Ace triple shifters be used with Ultegra triple running gear, specifically with an Ultegra
    >triple front derailluer?

    Yes, all compatible. Same for 105, etc. as well - all the 9s stuff is completely interchangeable.

    --Paul

  3. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    Agree. Further, if you plan on getting Dura Ace triple, skip the crank and get an ultegra or TA
    Zehpyr (if you want something fancy), Ritchey or Sugino. Dura Ace triple crank is terrible (mickey
    mouse triplizer conversion, "unique" 92mm bcd - NO other chainring available) and Shimano should be
    ashamed of themselves as Dura Ace is suppose to be its "flagship" group.... "Paul Southworth"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:G3ima.34446$A%[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Dave Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Can Dura-Ace triple shifters be used with Ultegra triple running gear, specifically with an
    > >Ultegra triple front derailluer?
    >
    > Yes, all compatible. Same for 105, etc. as well - all the 9s stuff is completely interchangeable.
    >
    > --Paul

  4. The DuraAce triple lever isn't compatible with Ultegra, or any other front derailleur... just the
    DuraAce triple. It's not even compatible with a DuraAce double.

    The mechanics of the lever are quite different from the Ultegra, with the DuraAce version of both
    derailleur & shifter designed to "trim" in all three positions, not just the smaller two chainrings
    (as done on Ultegra).

    I haven't actually tried that combo to see what happens, but compatibility problems are likely, due
    primarily to differences in the cage design of the front derailleur (since the Ultegra assumes no
    trim capability in the large chainring, while the DuraAce does).

    "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Can Dura-Ace triple shifters be used with Ultegra triple running gear, specifically with an
    > Ultegra triple front derailluer?
    >
    > TIA Dave Thompson Spokane, WA

  5. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "Paul Southworth" wrote;
    > Dave Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Can Dura-Ace triple shifters be used with Ultegra triple running gear, specifically with an
    > >Ultegra triple front derailluer?
    >
    > Yes, all compatible. Same for 105, etc. as well - all the 9s stuff is completely interchangeable.

    I seem to recall some discussions here that the DA triple was the exception to the compatibility
    rule. There were problems using a DA triple crankset with an Ultegra FD or vice versa. Dave, you
    might want to try a Google Groups search of rbt using "Dura Ace Triple"

    Art Harris

  6. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Paul Southworth" wrote;
    > > Dave Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > >Can Dura-Ace triple shifters be used with Ultegra triple running gear, specifically with an
    > > >Ultegra triple front derailluer?
    > >
    > > Yes, all compatible. Same for 105, etc. as well - all the 9s stuff is completely
    > > interchangeable.
    >
    > I seem to recall some discussions here that the DA triple was the
    exception
    > to the compatibility rule. There were problems using a DA triple crankset with an Ultegra FD or
    > vice versa. Dave, you might want to try a Google Groups search of rbt using "Dura Ace Triple"
    >
    > Art Harris

    Well, that DA triple front derailleur won't work on, say, a 30-40-50 setup. I found out the hard way
    that you can't get it properly setup as the inner cage profile is much deeper than, say, the
    Ultegra, which shifts a 30-40-50 just fine.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

  7. Paul-<< Yes, all compatible. Same for 105, etc. as well - all the 9s stuff is completely
    interchangeable.

    Not really, you can't use an ultegra or any other shimano triple fder with DA triple crank
    and shifters.

    DA triple shifters may work with ultegra triple stuff, altho shimano say it won't..May have to use a
    DA triple fder tho-something about the arm length of the fder..

  8. Mike-<< The DuraAce triple lever isn't compatible with Ultegra, or any other front derailleur...
    just the DuraAce triple. It's not even compatible with a DuraAce double.

    But I think you can use the DA triple left shifter with a DA double is you use the DA triple
    fder(?)...

    Really piss poor design, akin to SPD-R, if ya ask me...

  9. > But I think you can use the DA triple left shifter with a DA double is you
    use
    > the DA triple fder(?)...

    When we asked if we couldn't simply carry DA triple lever sets and use them for doubles as well, we
    were told by the powers-that-be that they would not work properly. It does seem logical that, if
    they could work on both, Shimano would begin to phase out the double-only version.