Use DuraAce Triple shifters with Ultegra front and rear der??

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Thompson

Can Dura-Ace triple shifters be used with Ultegra triple running gear, specifically with an Ultegra
triple front derailluer?

TIA Dave Thompson Spokane, WA

In article <SUhma.442753$L1.126242@sccrnsc02>, Dave Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
>Can Dura-Ace triple shifters be used with Ultegra triple running gear, specifically with an Ultegra
>triple front derailluer?

Yes, all compatible. Same for 105, etc. as well - all the 9s stuff is completely interchangeable.

--Paul

Agree. Further, if you plan on getting Dura Ace triple, skip the crank and get an ultegra or TA
Zehpyr (if you want something fancy), Ritchey or Sugino. Dura Ace triple crank is terrible (mickey
mouse triplizer conversion, "unique" 92mm bcd - NO other chainring available) and Shimano should be
ashamed of themselves as Dura Ace is suppose to be its "flagship" group.... "Paul Southworth"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:G3ima.34446$A%[email protected]...
> In article <SUhma.442753$L1.126242@sccrnsc02>, Dave Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Can Dura-Ace triple shifters be used with Ultegra triple running gear, specifically with an
> >Ultegra triple front derailluer?
>
> Yes, all compatible. Same for 105, etc. as well - all the 9s stuff is completely interchangeable.
>
> --Paul

The DuraAce triple lever isn't compatible with Ultegra, or any other front derailleur... just the
DuraAce triple. It's not even compatible with a DuraAce double.

The mechanics of the lever are quite different from the Ultegra, with the DuraAce version of both
derailleur & shifter designed to "trim" in all three positions, not just the smaller two chainrings
(as done on Ultegra).

I haven't actually tried that combo to see what happens, but compatibility problems are likely, due
primarily to differences in the cage design of the front derailleur (since the Ultegra assumes no
trim capability in the large chainring, while the DuraAce does).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:SUhma.442753$L1.126242@sccrnsc02...
> Can Dura-Ace triple shifters be used with Ultegra triple running gear, specifically with an
> Ultegra triple front derailluer?
>
> TIA Dave Thompson Spokane, WA

"Paul Southworth" wrote;
> Dave Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Can Dura-Ace triple shifters be used with Ultegra triple running gear, specifically with an
> >Ultegra triple front derailluer?
>
> Yes, all compatible. Same for 105, etc. as well - all the 9s stuff is completely interchangeable.

I seem to recall some discussions here that the DA triple was the exception to the compatibility
rule. There were problems using a DA triple crankset with an Ultegra FD or vice versa. Dave, you
might want to try a Google Groups search of rbt using "Dura Ace Triple"

Art Harris

"Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Paul Southworth" wrote;
> > Dave Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >Can Dura-Ace triple shifters be used with Ultegra triple running gear, specifically with an
> > >Ultegra triple front derailluer?
> >
> > Yes, all compatible. Same for 105, etc. as well - all the 9s stuff is completely
> > interchangeable.
>
> I seem to recall some discussions here that the DA triple was the
exception
> to the compatibility rule. There were problems using a DA triple crankset with an Ultegra FD or
> vice versa. Dave, you might want to try a Google Groups search of rbt using "Dura Ace Triple"
>
> Art Harris
>
>

Well, that DA triple front derailleur won't work on, say, a 30-40-50 setup. I found out the hard way
that you can't get it properly setup as the inner cage profile is much deeper than, say, the
Ultegra, which shifts a 30-40-50 just fine.

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

Paul-<< Yes, all compatible. Same for 105, etc. as well - all the 9s stuff is completely
interchangeable.

Not really, you can't use an ultegra or any other shimano triple fder with DA triple crank
and shifters.

DA triple shifters may work with ultegra triple stuff, altho shimano say it won't..May have to use a
DA triple fder tho-something about the arm length of the fder..

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Mike-<< The DuraAce triple lever isn't compatible with Ultegra, or any other front derailleur...
just the DuraAce triple. It's not even compatible with a DuraAce double.

But I think you can use the DA triple left shifter with a DA double is you use the DA triple
fder(?)...

Really **** poor design, akin to SPD-R, if ya ask me...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

> But I think you can use the DA triple left shifter with a DA double is you
use
> the DA triple fder(?)...

When we asked if we couldn't simply carry DA triple lever sets and use them for doubles as well, we
were told by the powers-that-be that they would not work properly. It does seem logical that, if
they could work on both, Shimano would begin to phase out the double-only version.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike-<< The DuraAce triple lever isn't compatible with Ultegra, or any
other
> front derailleur... just the DuraAce triple. It's not even compatible with a DuraAce double.
>
> But I think you can use the DA triple left shifter with a DA double is you
use
> the DA triple fder(?)...
>
> Really **** poor design, akin to SPD-R, if ya ask me...
>
>
> Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Status
Not open for further replies.