Use MTB shifters with road bike derailleurs

thomas_cho

Jan 4, 2005
I have a flat bar road bike with shimano SL-R220 shifter pod/brakes. My front deraileur is a Shimano C102, and rear derailleur is Sora. The brakes I have are Tektro mini-Vs.

I want to move to a 9spd setup, can I use the shimano MTB range shifters on my bike? Are they compatible with the brakes and derailleurs?

Thanks in advance

Yes. Shimano 9 speed drivetrain stuff is interchangable, even between mountain and road. You won't need a new rear derailleur* even though Sora is technically 8 speed, as all the gear indexing is done by the shifter.

* the only time you'd need a new one is if you are going to a much wider ratio cassette, or from a double crank to a triple crank. In those cases you need a longer-cage derailleur to take up the extra chain slack that can happen in the [now more] extreme [than before] differences in gear teeth.

A note on braking systems though: V-brakes and road bike caliper brakes require different cable leverage. The mountain bike STI levers are set up for V-brake cable leverage, and the road bike ones set up for road bike style dual-pivot caliper brake leverage.

As you have a flat-bar road bike with V-brakes, this most likely won't be a problem: you could just get any old mountain bike V-brake levers to use with what you have. (I'm guessing your current brake levers and shifters are one integrated unit)

Thanks for the quick reply. The reason why I am thinking of changing the parts, is not so much upgrading as in "un-integrating" the shifter and brake. With my current integrated pod, I cannot get a comfortable setup where I can reach the brake, and shift comfortably. I will try and get a cheap pair on Ebay and see how that works out.

Are there are differences between mini-V brakes, and "regular" v-brakes?

rek said:
Yes. Shimano 9 speed drivetrain stuff is interchangable, even between mountain and road. You won't need a new rear derailleur* even though Sora is technically 8 speed, as all the gear indexing is done by the shifter.

* the only time you'd need a new one is if you are going to a much wider ratio cassette, or from a double crank to a triple crank. In those cases you need a longer-cage derailleur to take up the extra chain slack that can happen in the [now more] extreme [than before] differences in gear teeth.

A note on braking systems though: V-brakes and road bike caliper brakes require different cable leverage. The mountain bike STI levers are set up for V-brake cable leverage, and the road bike ones set up for road bike style dual-pivot caliper brake leverage.

As you have a flat-bar road bike with V-brakes, this most likely won't be a problem: you could just get any old mountain bike V-brake levers to use with what you have. (I'm guessing your current brake levers and shifters are one integrated unit)

Thomas,
I just built a 9 speed flat bar bike for Tri use.

If you want to do it in Silver, you need:
Shimano BL-R440-S brake levers: $34
Shimano SL-R440-9S 9 speed shifters: $120

These work with the V-Brakes and Derailleurs you have on the Giant.

Hi George
The bike is not a giant, its a Apollo Swift:D

Would MTB dual control levers work with my existing gear?

Thanks

gclark8 said:
Thomas,
I just built a 9 speed flat bar bike for Tri use.

If you want to do it in Silver, you need:
Shimano BL-R440-S brake levers: $34
Shimano SL-R440-9S 9 speed shifters: $120

These work with the V-Brakes and Derailleurs you have on the Giant.

thomas_cho said:
I have a flat bar road bike with shimano SL-R220 shifter pod/brakes. My front deraileur is a Shimano C102, and rear derailleur is Sora. The brakes I have are Tektro mini-Vs.

I want to move to a 9spd setup, can I use the shimano MTB range shifters on my bike? Are they compatible with the brakes and derailleurs?

Thanks in advance

Look also into SRAM gripshift style systems that integrate well with separate brake levers. The brake levers can be positioned well within your reach without having to worry about the position of shift triggers cause there's none for the SRAM.

rek said:
My wife has a flat bar road style bike that has Shimano brake levers that have an adjustment on them marked "H" and "L". I haven't had a need to fiddle with it but I assume that's to make them compatable with canty or caliper type brakes as well as V brakes.

rek said:
My wife has a flat bar road style bike that has Shimano brake levers that have a two position adjustment on them marked "H" and "L". I haven't had a need to fiddle with it but I assume that's to make them compatable with canty or caliper type brakes as well as V brakes.