Use MTB tires on indoor trainer?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dean Fikar, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Dean Fikar

    Dean Fikar Guest

    Hi All,

    I have a mountain bike (Diamondback Sorrento) and now that the weather is really cold I'm in the
    market for an indoor trainer. I am considering getting a rear-wheel mag or fluid unit, maybe
    Cycleops. I don't want rollers. My question is can these units be used with regular knobby MTB tires
    or will I need to get smoother tires?

    --
    Dean Fikar

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a mountain bike (Diamondback Sorrento) and now that the weather is really cold I'm in the
    > market for an indoor trainer. I am considering getting a rear-wheel mag or fluid unit, maybe
    > Cycleops. I don't want rollers. My question is can these units be used with regular knobby MTB
    > tires or will I need to get smoother tires?

    Only if you enjoy full body numbness. You can probably pick up a smooth tire for $5, changing it is
    a hassle but if you aren't riding outside you only have to do it twice.

  3. Yes they can be used with knobby tires. After a few hours the knobs will be gone, your wife will
    have left you because she couldn't take the noise, and you will be deaf and impotent from the
    vibration.

    I've seen OK slicks for $10.

    Jens

    "Dean Fikar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a mountain bike (Diamondback Sorrento) and now that the weather is really cold I'm in the
    > market for an indoor trainer. I am considering getting a rear-wheel mag or fluid unit, maybe
    > Cycleops. I don't want rollers. My question is can these units be used with regular knobby MTB
    > tires or will I need to get smoother tires?
    >
    > --
    > Dean Fikar

  4. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I have a mountain bike (Diamondback Sorrento) and now that the weather is really cold I'm in the
    >market for an indoor trainer. I am considering getting a rear-wheel mag or fluid unit, maybe
    >Cycleops. I don't want rollers. My question is can these units be used with regular knobby MTB
    >tires or will I need to get smoother tires?
    >
    >--
    >Dean Fikar

    A Smooth rear tire is a good idea. If you use the knobby tire it will be noisy, you will end up with
    a nice pile of powered rubber on the carpet and the tire may slip.

    Jon Isaacs

  5. Scott Lee

    Scott Lee Guest

    You can get a trainer that contacs the rim so doesn't matter what tire you run. I have a Minoura
    Inter-rim and like it fine. "Dean Fikar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a mountain bike (Diamondback Sorrento) and now that the weather is really cold I'm in the
    > market for an indoor trainer. I am considering getting a rear-wheel mag or fluid unit, maybe
    > Cycleops. I don't want rollers. My question is can these units be used with regular knobby MTB
    > tires or will I need to get smoother tires?
    >
    > --
    > Dean Fikar

  6. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >You can get a trainer that contacs the rim so doesn't matter what tire you run. I have a Minoura
    >Inter-rim and like it fine.

    A smooth tire is quite a bit cheaper.

    jon isaacs

  7. In article <[email protected]>, luigi12081 @cox.net says...
    > [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > >You can get a trainer that contacs the rim so doesn't matter what tire you run. I have a
    > > >Minoura Inter-rim and like it fine.
    > >
    > > A smooth tire is quite a bit cheaper.
    >
    > 'sides, won't a rim-drive wear down your breaking surface and ultimately hasten the failure
    > of a rim?

    It's rim drive, not rim drag or scrape.

  8. [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >You can get a trainer that contacs the rim so doesn't matter what tire you run. I have a Minoura
    > >Inter-rim and like it fine.
    >
    > A smooth tire is quite a bit cheaper.

    'sides, won't a rim-drive wear down your breaking surface and ultimately hasten the
    failure of a rim?

    Tires are cheaper than rims and less fuss than wheel rebuilding!

    -Luigi