Use MTB tires on indoor trainer?

Dean Fikar

Guest
Hi All,

I have a mountain bike (Diamondback Sorrento) and now that the weather is really cold I'm in the
market for an indoor trainer. I am considering getting a rear-wheel mag or fluid unit, maybe
Cycleops. I don't want rollers. My question is can these units be used with regular knobby MTB tires
or will I need to get smoother tires?

--
Dean Fikar

> Hi All,
>
> I have a mountain bike (Diamondback Sorrento) and now that the weather is really cold I'm in the
> market for an indoor trainer. I am considering getting a rear-wheel mag or fluid unit, maybe
> Cycleops. I don't want rollers. My question is can these units be used with regular knobby MTB
> tires or will I need to get smoother tires?

Only if you enjoy full body numbness. You can probably pick up a smooth tire for $5, changing it is
a hassle but if you aren't riding outside you only have to do it twice.

Yes they can be used with knobby tires. After a few hours the knobs will be gone, your wife will
have left you because she couldn't take the noise, and you will be deaf and impotent from the
vibration.

I've seen OK slicks for $10.

Jens

"Dean Fikar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> I have a mountain bike (Diamondback Sorrento) and now that the weather is really cold I'm in the
> market for an indoor trainer. I am considering getting a rear-wheel mag or fluid unit, maybe
> Cycleops. I don't want rollers. My question is can these units be used with regular knobby MTB
> tires or will I need to get smoother tires?
>
> --
> Dean Fikar

>Hi All,
>
>I have a mountain bike (Diamondback Sorrento) and now that the weather is really cold I'm in the
>market for an indoor trainer. I am considering getting a rear-wheel mag or fluid unit, maybe
>Cycleops. I don't want rollers. My question is can these units be used with regular knobby MTB
>tires or will I need to get smoother tires?
>
>--
>Dean Fikar

A Smooth rear tire is a good idea. If you use the knobby tire it will be noisy, you will end up with
a nice pile of powered rubber on the carpet and the tire may slip.

Jon Isaacs

You can get a trainer that contacs the rim so doesn't matter what tire you run. I have a Minoura
Inter-rim and like it fine. "Dean Fikar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All,
>
> I have a mountain bike (Diamondback Sorrento) and now that the weather is really cold I'm in the
> market for an indoor trainer. I am considering getting a rear-wheel mag or fluid unit, maybe
> Cycleops. I don't want rollers. My question is can these units be used with regular knobby MTB
> tires or will I need to get smoother tires?
>
> --
> Dean Fikar

>You can get a trainer that contacs the rim so doesn't matter what tire you run. I have a Minoura
>Inter-rim and like it fine.

A smooth tire is quite a bit cheaper.

jon isaacs

In article <[email protected]>, luigi12081 @cox.net says...
> [email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > >You can get a trainer that contacs the rim so doesn't matter what tire you run. I have a
> > >Minoura Inter-rim and like it fine.
> >
> > A smooth tire is quite a bit cheaper.
>
> 'sides, won't a rim-drive wear down your breaking surface and ultimately hasten the failure
> of a rim?

It's rim drive, not rim drag or scrape.

[email protected] (Jon Isaacs) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >You can get a trainer that contacs the rim so doesn't matter what tire you run. I have a Minoura
> >Inter-rim and like it fine.
>
> A smooth tire is quite a bit cheaper.

'sides, won't a rim-drive wear down your breaking surface and ultimately hasten the
failure of a rim?

Tires are cheaper than rims and less fuss than wheel rebuilding!

-Luigi