Use of in-line brake levers with centre-pull cantilevers

glennb

Dec 29, 2010
Hi all,

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how in-line "cross" levers function with centre-pull cantilever brakes.

With side-pull caliper brakes the mechanism seems to be to lengthen the cable housing relative to the cable, which is possible because the brake arm moves downward to accommodate the lengthened housing.

With cantis, where the cable hanger prevents housing lengthening, I'm assuming the mechanism is distension of the cable housing, much like when you rotate your handlebars 180 degrees.

Is this the mechanism by which in-line levers work with centre-pull canti brakes?.

Would it work properly with continuous housing across top tube to rear brake?

Would it require more applied force than with a side-pull brake where you're only pushing against the brake return spring?

Would it permanently stretch the housing to a degree that affects primary (cable yanking type) braking?

And would it work harden the housing's steel coil to the point of failure?

I use in-line levers on my road bike and am keen to stick them on my touring bike too, but reliability's paramount on this bike and I'm not so sure the in-line levers are a great idea if they work the way I think they do.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Regards Glenn

While the following installation isn't exactly what you are planning, I think that you can extrapolate that the inline brake levers should work just as well with cantilever brake calipers as with regular Road calipers based on my installation with a set of older, center-pull brakes (MAFAC) & the alternative equivalent to a straddle-cable-and-yoke that was often used with older cantilever brake calipers instead of a separate straddle cable & yoke:

It works fine. The cable housing is static between the brake lever & the cable hanger or frame stop -- there isn't any difference to how the housing is affected between the inline brake lever than with the installation of a regular Road brake calipers where the stop is on the caliper, itself. Of course, the inline brakes will not work with standard length V-brakes or, apparently, other mechanical brakes (e.g., disc brake calipers) ... they should be okay with mini-V-brakes.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

Of course, the inline brakes will not work with standard length V-brakes or, apparently, other mechanical brakes (e.g., disc brake calipers) ... they should be okay with mini-V-brakes.
I don't know much about bike mechanics, and most of this thread is beyond my understanding, but I think you're saying cross levers don't work with disc brakes. They do, or at least they work just fine with mine.

Originally Posted by lemarmot .

Quote: Originally Posted by alfeng .

Of course, the inline brakes will not work with standard length V-brakes or, apparently, other mechanical brakes (e.g., disc brake calipers) ... they should be okay with mini-V-brakes.
I don't know much about bike mechanics, and most of this thread is beyond my understanding, but I think you're saying cross levers don't work with disc brakes. They do, or at least they work just fine with mine.

If the inline brake levers work with your mechanical disc brake calipers then I stand corrected ... [COLOR= #0000ff]mea culpa[/COLOR].

Originally Posted by alfeng .

While the following installation isn't exactly what you are planning, I think that you can extrapolate that the inline brake levers should work just as well with cantilever brake calipers as with regular Road calipers based on my installation with a set of older, center-pull brakes (MAFAC) & the alternative equivalent to a straddle-cable-and-yoke that was often used with older cantilever brake calipers instead of a separate straddle cable & yoke:

It works fine. The cable housing is static between the brake lever & the cable hanger or frame stop -- there isn't any difference to how the housing is affected between the inline brake lever than with the installation of a regular Road brake calipers where the stop is on the caliper, itself. Of course, the inline brakes will not work with standard length V-brakes or, apparently, other mechanical brakes (e.g., disc brake calipers) ... they should be okay with mini-V-brakes.
It's all about the cable pull. Inline brake levers should work just fine with road-specific cable-actuated disc brakes, or regular (MTB) mechanical discs if used in association with a travel agent.
Opinions about using regular(MTB) cable-actuated disc brakes with road levers vary.
Some say it's entirely doable, as long as you don't mind using up more than usual of the lever's travel before the brake firms up and starts to bite.

Quote:Originally Posted by glennb .

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a better understanding of how in-line "cross" levers function with centre-pull cantilever brakes.

With side-pull caliper brakes the mechanism seems to be to lengthen the cable housing relative to the cable, which is possible because the brake arm moves downward to accommodate the lengthened housing.

With cantis, where the cable hanger prevents housing lengthening, I'm assuming the mechanism is distension of the cable housing, much like when you rotate your handlebars 180 degrees.

Is this the mechanism by which in-line levers work with centre-pull canti brakes?.

Would it work properly with continuous housing across top tube to rear brake?

Would it require more applied force than with a side-pull brake where you're only pushing against the brake return spring?

Would it permanently stretch the housing to a degree that affects primary (cable yanking type) braking?

And would it work harden the housing's steel coil to the point of failure?

I use in-line levers on my road bike and am keen to stick them on my touring bike too, but reliability's paramount on this bike and I'm not so sure the in-line levers are a great idea if they work the way I think they do.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Regards Glenn