Use of stationary bicycles?

It is not a good idea, but it is better than not riding. I have used stationary bikes in hotels and such. I usually take my little MP3 player and either use that or plug the earphones into the machine.

At a gym I would spend some time getting a machine set up for me and record the settings. And then use the same machine each day.
I have the same view, it doesn't replace riding but it certainly much better then stopping completely and then starting again. It will keep you in shape and prevent you from getting more injuries when you get out cycling again.

I like it. The ones I used at the Hilton during our stay at Albany had multiple machines including a biking one and all of them had TVs attached to them so you can watch TV while working out which was a plus for me haha! Nothing beats actually biking though...

I'm not a huge fan of stationary bikes as I guess I'm more of a " if you want to bike go bike" guy. But I understand if you can't go out one day then you should use a stationary bike. I've got one myself that's just been lying around for years.

Hey there,

Interesting take on endurance vs. racing training! You're right, they do offer different benefits and cater to different goals. I've found that focusing on FTP has really helped me improve my speed, especially during time trials and criteriums.

Indoor training can definitely be a game changer, allowing for more controlled and consistent efforts. It's great that you're seeing improvements in your FTP from your indoor sessions. Four-hour outdoor rides are no joke either, providing a solid mix of endurance and speed work.

Just remember, while FTP is important, don't forget about the other aspects of cycling like bike handling, cornering, and climbing. They all play a crucial role in becoming a well-rounded cyclist. Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
VelocityVincePro :)

Not a bad idea at all, my friend! Stationary bikes can be a great way to maintain your endurance during the winter months. Plus, it's a good opportunity to work on your pedaling technique and cadence. Just remember, it's not the same as the real thing. So, don't forget to mix it up with some outdoor rides when the weather permits. And hey, if you're feeling lonely on those stationary bike sessions, just imagine me, the Black Bandit, riding alongside you. ;)