Use PT for an Ironman?

samtheclip

Sep 22, 2003
OK, I am new to all of this. I was just wondering if I should consider my PT for an Ironman event? I have 2 sets of rims race/training. My training rims are Mavic Kyserium Elites. I race with Zip 909's (disc) or a 404 rear. I wasn't sure which to mount the PT too. I was conidering the 404 and was thinking maybe I should use it for training as well. Then, come race day if I dont use the disc I could use the 404? Sound silly? OR should I put it on the Mavic and don't worry about using it in the Ironman? Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

samtheclip said:
OK, I am new to all of this. I was just wondering if I should consider my PT for an Ironman event? I have 2 sets of rims race/training. My training rims are Mavic Kyserium Elites. I race with Zip 909's (disc) or a 404 rear. I wasn't sure which to mount the PT too. I was conidering the 404 and was thinking maybe I should use it for training as well. Then, come race day if I dont use the disc I could use the 404? Sound silly? OR should I put it on the Mavic and don't worry about using it in the Ironman? Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!
Well, the PT can be usefull during the race. More or less depending on the course type, and on your experience doing this type of event.

Yesterday I was riding with a pal of mine. He went to do an IM race. Was happy about his bike split, but walked half of the marathon for a total time over 11hr. Problem? Pacing during the bike leg.

If you don't have a lot of experience doing >10hr events, big chances are that you might push too hard on the bike. Then a PT can be a very usefull tool. Also, if the course is difficult (such as Lake placid for instance), then you'll have more ease riding at a constant power (which should definitely be the best strategy) with a power meter.

As for which rim to use, until you get a second powermeter, I'd choose a rim that you can use during both training and racing. I'd use the disk only during shorter races (Sprint and Oly distances), when there is not too much latteral wind.

A SECOND Power Tap? LOL! You @#! Just kid'n. Thanks for the reply. Well, off to look for another PT.

Thanks for the info.

PS. You don't recomment a disc for an Ironman? Y? (except placid)

samtheclip said:
A SECOND Power Tap? LOL! You @#! Just kid'n.
:eek: euh well. I forgot that triathletes usually have more than one piece of equipment on their wish list.
samtheclip said:
Thanks for the reply. Well, off to look for another PT.
Thanks for the info.
PS. You don't recomment a disc for an Ironman? Y? (except placid)
The decision of using a disc or not depends on how hilly (because of the accute weight), and also on how windy (because of the stability). For instance strong lateral wind isn't good during a 180k TT event. The riding just feels a bit weird.

Cheers

samtheclip said:
Thanks!
I just raced Ironman Lake Placid this past weekend and I raced better than I had expected. I used my power tap to regulate my effort on the bike and had a strong run.

I HIGHLY recommend using your PT for the race. Do you know fairly accurately what your FT power is? The advice I was given (by a pro) was to use 70% of your FT as a target for your average watts over the course. Like I said, it worked like a charm for me!

Having said that, Lake Placid is somewhat hilly and I was rarely riding at exactly 70% of my FT. It helped that I had ridden the course in advance with my PT and analyzed the data. That way I knew from the variance in the course what my average watts should be at different points along the way to hit 70% at the end of the bike.

Regarding your wheel choice, I'd say the time a good pacing strategy will save you is far more than what a little better aerodynamics will save you. If you're OK with doing all your training on the 404's build the PT into that rim. If not, I'd say race on your Mavic and use the PT rather than the 404's without the PT. I had my PT built into a Mavic CXP33 because I wanted a bullet proof training rim. Not the lightest or the most aerodynamic but until I can afford to train on 404's all the time (or 2 PTs as Solar suggested) I'm going to continue to race on my Mavic so I can race by Power. :D

Congratulations.

Lake Placid is a difficult course to master.

At times, 70% probably felt like a walk in a park. When properly tapered, it's near impossible for those with less experience to distinguish High L2 and L3 from Low L4 on the bike (without a power meter). That's why so many have to walk the marathon.

Good advice, good strategy lead to good results.

SolarEnergy said:
Congratulations.

Lake Placid is a difficult course to master.

At times, 70% probably felt like a walk in a park. When properly tapered, it's near impossible for those with less experience to distinguish High L2 and L3 from Low L4 on the bike (without a power meter). That's why so many have to walk the marathon.

Good advice, good strategy lead to good results.
Interesting thread on Topica...

http://lists.topica.com/lists/wattage/read/message.html?mid=913159613&sort=d&start=42769

Jim

I'm not a triathlete, but a number of posts on similar question suggested a "normal" PT wheel (typically Mavic OP) which will stand up to training, and using a wheelcover for the aero benefit during tris. Anyone with experience want to help our Original Poster along these lines?

Wheelbuilders has a cover for Zipp wheels http://www.wheelbuilder.com/index.asp. There is another cover (CH Aero), but I don't know if it will fit on Zipp 404s. If I were racing Ironman TTs, I would put my PT hub on Zipp 404s and get a wheel cover to convert it to a disc if conditions permit.

RapDaddyo said:
Wheelbuilders has a cover for Zipp wheels http://www.wheelbuilder.com/index.asp. There is another cover (CH Aero), but I don't know if it will fit on Zipp 404s. If I were racing Ironman TTs, I would put my PT hub on Zipp 404s and get a wheel cover to convert it to a disc if conditions permit.

I think using a PT for an Ironman is one of the clearest racing uses where it would be of significant benefit.

Wheelbuilder's cover is the CHAero cover with his (Rich Sawiris') graphics. Rich trims the covers to fit whatever rim you're using. You can send your wheel to him and he will rebuild it with the PT hub and cut the cover to fit your 404 if you are willing to use that as a training wheel.

Otherwise, the second PT option is worth considering. It sounds expensive (and it is) but I just found a used Powertap standard for $350 that Rich had just rebuilt to use for my second wheel. PT Standards and Pros are relatively affordable used if you look around, and even the SLs are available for a good price now and then. More good deals will no doubt be appearing on used wheels once the wireless 2.4 and the carbonified 2.4 come out.

Once you're used to using power, you will not want to race without it. I predict you will end up selling your disk and using the cover.

FYI, I have a PT Pro built up on an Open Pro rim, and the used Standard I just got was rebuilt on the DT Swiss RR 1.1 rim. Rich trimmed my cover and it fits both wheels. He usually answers the phone himself and his service has been outstanding.

RapDaddyo said:
I wouldn't want to be training on 404's

Build up an aero wheel that u can use for training and racing. Like a velocity deep V rim with 24 spokes sapim c-xray spokes

by the way elite's wont work because you need a minimum 24 spokes. your 404's will prolly have too many spokes aswell.

Here is what I am thinking of doing, keeping my 32 hole and having a 650c Mavic open pro built with it. Then, looking for a 24 hole sl hub only and having a 404 made up for it. Then I will have 2 pt setups. My next question is does each hub have to be reset or something for the computer to work or can I just swap wheel/hubs and they will work?

Thanks

I've got a PT SL/Open Pro disc cover from wheelbuilder.com and love it. I haven't done IM events (can't swim worth a darn), but I have used the disc cover in TT and duathlons. Using the PT in a race is well worth the data. I know aero covers aren't as good as disc wheels, but I'd rather have a cover and PT than no PT at all. Again, I'd highly recommend the cover from wheelbuilder.com. I couldn't tell they trimmed it and instructions were bombproof. Good luck!

samtheclip said:
Here is what I am thinking of doing, keeping my 32 hole and having a 650c Mavic open pro built with it. Then, looking for a 24 hole sl hub only and having a 404 made up for it. Then I will have 2 pt setups. My next question is does each hub have to be reset or something for the computer to work or can I just swap wheel/hubs and they will work?

Thanks
Good idea. why are you using 650c?

I am riding a 51.5 frame. I spent a good nickle on a custom litespeed blade and I am happy with bike but, can't afford to switch frames either. I do wish it has 700's. There is just that much more out there.