Used a Brompton?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc archive' started by Jr, Jun 12, 2003.

  1. Jr

    Jr Guest

    I'm thinking of using a brompton to commute - though I need it to do 20 miles perday, everyday. Does
    anyone have any experience of these fold-up bikes and are they ok to ride?

    Thanks

    jr
    ---
    If you need to reply personally, append "text" to the domain name in my email adr. Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Alan

    Alan Guest

    I know someone who commutes on Brompton. She loves it. But she did replace the standard casters on
    the rear rack with skateboard wheels. Much easier to roll when folded.

    This week she's riding it across Oklahoma on Freewheel, a week-long cross state ride. She prefered
    the Brompton to her Fuji Team bike.

    --

    alan

    Anyone who believes in a liberal media has never read the "Daily Oklahoman."

    "jr" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm thinking of using a brompton to commute - though I need it to do 20 miles perday, everyday.
    > Does anyone have any experience of these fold-up bikes and are they ok to ride?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > jr
    > ---
    > If you need to reply personally, append "text" to the domain name in my email adr. Thanks

  3. Jym Dyer

    Jym Dyer Guest

    =v= I prefer bikes with bigger wheels (the "20-inch" size), but of the bikes with smaller wheels,
    the Brompton rides the best. (I can't figure out how they pulled it off.)

    =v= Brompton is by far the best for folding. You can push it down into a small bundle in no time at
    all. <_Jym_>

    P.S.: But I still prefer my Bike Friday. <_Jym_>

    other car is :: ==`\(x :: http://www.things.org/~jym/ :::: also a bicycle." :: O-/ `O ::

    I relax by taking my bicycle apart and putting it back together again. --
    Michelle Pfeiffer

  4. A good friend had a Brompie for several months, but I found him a Birdy and he now uses that
    extensively. He says the Brompie folds far better, but the Birdy rides much better. Neither rides as
    well as my rocket-ship Friday; but it doesn't fold well at all compared to the other two (many
    exposed damageable corners).

    You can't always get what you want.