Used bike tuning

crocobar

Jul 8, 2007
Hi!

I've just purchased a used bike, Spaulding Blade 12 speed, and I need some advice on tuning and basic tools. There is nothing fancy about this bike but it seems like a sturdy one, reasonably light for an older model, brakes and gear shifters work, nothing rattles or falls off.

I am wondering what kind of service I can do myself that would benefit the bike. I can think of several things like lubricating axles, pedal crank and chain, perhaps, brake tuning or something else. I have no idea what makes sense. I intend to use the bike for commuting to work, 5 miles one way, paved bike roads.

What kind of tools and spares would be reasonable to get and carry along?

Any advice is welcome!

crocobar said:
Hi!

I've just purchased a used bike, Spaulding Blade 12 speed, and I need some advice on tuning and basic tools. There is nothing fancy about this bike but it seems like a sturdy one, reasonably light for an older model, brakes and gear shifters work, nothing rattles or falls off.

I am wondering what kind of service I can do myself that would benefit the bike. I can think of several things like lubricating axles, pedal crank and chain, perhaps, brake tuning or something else. I have no idea what makes sense. I intend to use the bike for commuting to work, 5 miles one way, paved bike roads.

What kind of tools and spares would be reasonable to get and carry along?

Any advice is welcome!
parktool.com will have the answers to all of your questions.

Retro Grouch said:
parktool.com will have the answers to all of your questions.
Seems to be a useful site. However, here's a question. I have two cans of lubricant that I used on the car. One is regular all-purpose grease, the other - high-temperature grease. Can I use them on some bike parts? I don't so much try to save on grease that I imagine to be cheap, as I try not to clutter my closet with extra cans with grease, and I also try to save myself a trip to the store.

Bike products are better matched to bikes, Phil Wood sells the best bicycle grease imo. For the hubs and BB I use auto products myself, so the is no problem. Consider buying a sealed BB.

As to the chain, for a commuter you might consider using wax products purchased at the bike shop. Wax is less messy, and less effective. You might also want to use a stainless steel chain.

Forester's book "effective cycling" has many safety and maintenance tips.

crocobar said:
Seems to be a useful site. However, here's a question. I have two cans of lubricant that I used on the car. One is regular all-purpose grease, the other - high-temperature grease. Can I use them on some bike parts? I don't so much try to save on grease that I imagine to be cheap, as I try not to clutter my closet with extra cans with grease, and I also try to save myself a trip to the store.
Try something thinner. A few members here use cooking oil.