Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Used Bike Upgrade Priorities

Started by DruidsLaughter · · Last activity · 3 posts · 559 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
25 June 2011
Last activity
29 June 2011
Original author
DruidsLaughter
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
559
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello All,

    So this has turned into my summer of improving my fitness. I have been running regularly and recently purchased a used road bike so I can cross-train between cycling and running. I am riding a Trek 5500 that I think is the first year of production. I am very happy with the bike right now and everything works flawlessly. That said, I would like to draw on you collective experience as to where I can gain the most benefit in upgrades down the road.

    Most all of the components were swapped from original when I bought it, and currently the bike is equipped with the following:

    -Shimano 600 crank,
    -Shimano 600 front and rear deralleurs (8 speed STI),
    -Shimano 600 brakes with new brake levers/shifters,
    -King headset
    -Shimano 600 front and rear hubs with Mavic Open 4 CD rims.

    This bike has given me great fit and ride thus far and kept me firmly in the budget minded price category. My thought was an new wheel set may be good to plan for.

    Thanks in advance,
    john

  2. Upgradeitis can be a very costly affliction. From a strictly financial perspective you're better off dropping a few bills in a jar everytime the urge strikes you, then eventually you use that jar as a starting point for buying another bike instead.

    What you can do which isn't entirely stupid money-wise, is to switch to nicer parts when an item needs replacing for other reasons. But yeah, many riders keep a 2nd wheelset at hand. Don't expect any overwhelming improvements though.

  3. i have been moving Shimano 600 brakes for the last 15 years over different levers and frames and they still work great !
    also Shimano 600 hubs are right now on my spare wheels working great too,
    i did upgrade the old Shimano 600 crank and Bottom Bracket into Ultegra say in year 2004 more or less, when the new design and standard came in, then finally moved into 9 speed when a friend of mine bought my 8 speed levers, derrailleur and cassette,

    spare wheels are handy, they will keep you at all times on the road (when you need to service or maintain a wheel), give you for example the flexibility to choose and swap from training tires into competitive tires forth and back, like the guys in F1 do, or install two different cassettes, one for climbing and one for flats,

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.