Used Merlin or new Habanero frame?

chrome frame

Jan 9, 2004
Well,
It is now time for me to turn in my chrome plated steel frame for Ti.
I have the opportunity to get a used Merlin frame from 2000 for about $500 but some people have said that older Ti frames are sometimes too flexy.
The other option would be to get a new Habanero for about $750.
I would appreciate any help on this decision.
Thanks!

chrome frame said:
Well,
It is now time for me to turn in my chrome plated steel frame for Ti.
I have the opportunity to get a used Merlin frame from 2000 for about $500 but some people have said that older Ti frames are sometimes too flexy.
The other option would be to get a new Habanero for about $750.
I would appreciate any help on this decision.
Thanks!
I always hate to hear the old rumor that Ti frames are flexy. When Ti frames first came out there was not a lot of tube diameters and wall thickness' available so if you where a big person on a big frame the frame was soft. Today there are all sizes of diameters and wall thickness' and we have 3-2.5 alloys and even 6-4 alloys. The alloyed tubing is not really stiffer but stronger. I am sure that you know by increasing the diameter of a tube it increases the stiffness a whole bunch. I would bet that the Merlin runs larger diameter tubes than the Habanero. I know the Habanero's run 1.25" and 1.125" diameter tubes which are small and I would assume the frame would be flexy if you were a bigger guy. I also think they also run 1" steers which is probably okay if you want it to be light but not if you are going to be keeping the frame for many years. I think that we could all agree that 1.125 steers are hear to stay and 1" are maybe on there way out. I hope this helps you in your decision. But you should also get other opinions, this is just my opinion. See if you can get tube diameters for the Merlin and if they have a 1.5" down tube and you are a big guy I would probably go for the Merlin. If you are a light weight and on a small frame the Habanero would probably be great too.