Used or Not Trek 1.2

NavyFlyGuy

Feb 8, 2011
I am just getting into biking again after many years out. I found a Trek 1.2 (2010) model that is in great shape (He did put 4k miles on it in past 10 months but has changed chain and rear cassete). It's black... which I want. If I get the 2011 model it's white... don't like white. To get another black bike I would have to get a 1.5 for about 1k. I can get this bike for 500 bucks.
Would the 500 be worth it or do I pony up and get the 1.5 for double the price?

Appreciate any voices of experience.

Originally Posted by NavyFlyGuy .

I am just getting into biking again after many years out. I found a Trek 1.2 (2010) model that is in great shape (He did put 4k miles on it in past 10 months but has changed chain and rear cassete). It's black... which I want. If I get the 2011 model it's white... don't like white. To get another black bike I would have to get a 1.5 for about 1k. I can get this bike for 500 bucks.
Would the 500 be worth it or do I pony up and get the 1.5 for double the price?

Appreciate any voices of experience.
Does the 2010 fit? If it does, then great, if it doesn't, then you will never be happy with it. . . .almost fitting is not good enough :)

It's a good fit and a good bike. I just didn't know if the miles he put on was too much wear and tear and would hurt the bikes performance.

4k miles is nothing really, though certainly a good idea to replace chain & cassette. New tires (at least in the rear) may be in order as well. Bike should be fine if no obvious flaws. You may want to invest in a tune-up at your LBS after purchase (or even before, if you'd like to pay for their opinion as to condition.)

If it fits you well and you like the way it feels when you ride it, then I say grab that puppy.

4k miles with new chain and cassette is like brand new but for less than half the price. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

The group is separating which makes it insanely more difficult to draft. coming thought the final turn, I stood up and laid in the acceleration, sprinting. One guy next to me was doing the same, and he was just a hair faster than I, but he couldn't hold it for the duration and I edged out in front. I passed two other riders who had were not sprinting. It doesn't really mean anything since I am no where near the top 20 among this 105 riders present. Yeah, there was quite the turnout for the first race of the season. End result, I am happy with my performance today. And as I said earlier, I still have all my skin.