Used road bike price advice....

Tdwfl

Guest
I've upgraded road bike so I'm selling my used Cannondale R900 with 2.8 frame. It has all 8-speed
600/Ultegra (with STI) except for a 172.5 DA crank, trued Mavic Open 4CD wheels, new tires and bar
tape, Profile bars, Look carbon/carbon threadless fork, SPD-R pedals, generic seat and post. No
lights or computer. It comes with two extra cassettes, is in good condition and rides very nicely.
Looking at what new entry level road bikes cost, would it be out of line to ask for $600.00 for this
bike? TIA,

tim

Well, my rule of thumb was always 1/2 the price of that bike when new. So try to find something
comparable and figure half of that. That's a guideline I used to use and it was fairly true of the
market here. Of course, there are exceptions.

Cheers,

Scott..
--
Scott Anderson

"TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've upgraded road bike so I'm selling my used Cannondale R900 with 2.8
frame.
> It has all 8-speed 600/Ultegra (with STI) except for a 172.5 DA crank,
trued
> Mavic Open 4CD wheels, new tires and bar tape, Profile bars, Look
carbon/carbon
> threadless fork, SPD-R pedals, generic seat and post. No lights or
computer. It
> comes with two extra cassettes, is in good condition and rides very
nicely.
> Looking at what new entry level road bikes cost, would it be out of line
to ask
> for $600.00 for this bike? TIA,
>
> tim

You could always slap it on eBay and find some suckers. An ex gf of mine got a bike for $500 and
sold it 4 years later to some poor sot for $650.

-B

"TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've upgraded road bike so I'm selling my used Cannondale R900 with 2.8
frame.
> It has all 8-speed 600/Ultegra (with STI) except for a 172.5 DA crank,
trued
> Mavic Open 4CD wheels, new tires and bar tape, Profile bars, Look
carbon/carbon
> threadless fork, SPD-R pedals, generic seat and post. No lights or
computer. It
> comes with two extra cassettes, is in good condition and rides very
nicely.
> Looking at what new entry level road bikes cost, would it be out of line
to ask
> for $600.00 for this bike? TIA,
>
> tim

"TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I've upgraded road bike so I'm selling my used Cannondale R900 with 2.8
frame.
> It has all 8-speed 600/Ultegra (with STI) except for a 172.5 DA crank,
trued
> Mavic Open 4CD wheels, new tires and bar tape, Profile bars, Look
carbon/carbon
> threadless fork, SPD-R pedals, generic seat and post. No lights or
computer. It
> comes with two extra cassettes, is in good condition and rides very
nicely.
> Looking at what new entry level road bikes cost, would it be out of line
to ask
> for $600.00 for this bike?

Well, there's a pretty good way to find out -- search ebay for Cannondales and click on "completed
items." This will give you the prices that similar bikes have sold for. Note that not all the
auctions will have actually resulted in a sale -- just pay attention to the ones which have.

In my experience, ebay is a seller's market. You'll probably do better there than anywhere else,
especially if you don't live in a major population center (and with good weather this time of year).

I've gotten good response from rec.bicycles.marketplace -- you might repost this there, as well as
do a "FA" post if/when you list on ebay. Don't forget to put the frame size in your header.

Matt O.

"TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I've upgraded road bike so I'm selling my used Cannondale R900 with 2.8
frame.
> It has all 8-speed 600/Ultegra (with STI) except for a 172.5 DA crank, trued Mavic Open 4CD
> wheels, new tires and bar tape, Profile bars, Look
carbon/carbon
> threadless fork, SPD-R pedals, generic seat and post. No lights or computer.
It
> comes with two extra cassettes, is in good condition and rides very nicely. Looking at what new
> entry level road bikes cost, would it be out of line to
ask
> for $600.00 for this bike?

As I was reading your description, the figure $600 popped into my head. I think that sounds like a
good ballpark price.

> Well, there's a pretty good way to find out -- search ebay for Cannondales and click on "completed
> items." This will give you the prices that similar bikes have sold for. Note that not all the
> auctions will have actually resulted in a sale -- just pay attention to the ones which have.

How on ebay can you check for completed items, ie history? I've searched in vane for this feature
with no clue.

Jim Lyons

> How on ebay can you check for completed items, ie history? I've searched in vane for this feature
> with no clue.
>
> Jim Lyons

After you do any search there, you will see a link near the search box. This link is worded as
'refine search'. Click there and see many new options, including a checkbox for 'search completed
auctions only'.

> > Well, there's a pretty good way to find out -- search ebay for
Cannondales
> > and click on "completed items." This will give you the prices that
similar
> > bikes have sold for. Note that not all the auctions will have actually resulted in a sale --
> > just pay attention to the ones which have.

"jplyons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How on ebay can you check for completed items, ie history? I've searched in vane for this feature
> with no clue.

In EBay's "refined search", check the box next to "completed items" and you'll search in
vain no more.

"Erik Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > How on ebay can you check for completed items, ie history? I've searched in vane for this
> > feature with no clue.
> >
> > Jim Lyons
>
> After you do any search there, you will see a link near the search box. This link is worded as
> 'refine search'. Click there and see many new options, including a checkbox for 'search completed
> auctions only'.

It's a couple of boxes below that -- in the box titled "Display." You'll see a link to "Completed
items," but it only appears if you've done a search. If you don't see it, type something in the
search box and try it. When you follow the link, it changes to "Active items" to get you back to
where you were.

This is such a powerful tool for finding out true market value that car dealers have been pressuring
ebay to remove it. Pawn shops, etc. now just look on ebay to determine value, instead of thumbing
through price guides.

Matt O.

>Well, my rule of thumb was always 1/2 the price of that bike when new. So try to find something
>comparable and figure half of that. That's a guideline I used to use and it was fairly true of the
>market here. Of course, there are exceptions.
>
>Cheers,

This does not take into account the age of the bike. This bike apparently has 8 speed stuff which is
certainly less desireable for many and indicates it is age to some real extent. But condition is
important too, is it a near new looking bike with only a couple of miles on it or does it look like
it has been ridden 30,000 miles, these make a big difference.

My notion is that bike prices vary greatly around the country, what might be reasonable in San
Francisco might be outrageous in San Diego.

jon isaacs

> "Peter Cole" [email protected] wrote: >As I was reading your
description, the figure $600 popped into my head. I
>think that sounds like a good ballpark price.

That's about how I arrived at the price. Thanks to all for the feedback!

tim

"

> In EBay's "refined search", check the box next to "completed items" and you'll search in vain
> no more.

Forgot to thank one and all for the info on finding completed. Thanks!!!