Used road bike price advice....

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tdwfl, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Tdwfl

    Tdwfl Guest

    I've upgraded road bike so I'm selling my used Cannondale R900 with 2.8 frame. It has all 8-speed
    600/Ultegra (with STI) except for a 172.5 DA crank, trued Mavic Open 4CD wheels, new tires and bar
    tape, Profile bars, Look carbon/carbon threadless fork, SPD-R pedals, generic seat and post. No
    lights or computer. It comes with two extra cassettes, is in good condition and rides very nicely.
    Looking at what new entry level road bikes cost, would it be out of line to ask for $600.00 for this
    bike? TIA,

    tim

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    Well, my rule of thumb was always 1/2 the price of that bike when new. So try to find something
    comparable and figure half of that. That's a guideline I used to use and it was fairly true of the
    market here. Of course, there are exceptions.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --
    Scott Anderson

    "TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've upgraded road bike so I'm selling my used Cannondale R900 with 2.8
    frame.
    > It has all 8-speed 600/Ultegra (with STI) except for a 172.5 DA crank,
    trued
    > Mavic Open 4CD wheels, new tires and bar tape, Profile bars, Look
    carbon/carbon
    > threadless fork, SPD-R pedals, generic seat and post. No lights or
    computer. It
    > comes with two extra cassettes, is in good condition and rides very
    nicely.
    > Looking at what new entry level road bikes cost, would it be out of line
    to ask
    > for $600.00 for this bike? TIA,
    >
    > tim

  3. Bill Lloyd

    Bill Lloyd Guest

    You could always slap it on eBay and find some suckers. An ex gf of mine got a bike for $500 and
    sold it 4 years later to some poor sot for $650.

    -B

    "TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've upgraded road bike so I'm selling my used Cannondale R900 with 2.8
    frame.
    > It has all 8-speed 600/Ultegra (with STI) except for a 172.5 DA crank,
    trued
    > Mavic Open 4CD wheels, new tires and bar tape, Profile bars, Look
    carbon/carbon
    > threadless fork, SPD-R pedals, generic seat and post. No lights or
    computer. It
    > comes with two extra cassettes, is in good condition and rides very
    nicely.
    > Looking at what new entry level road bikes cost, would it be out of line
    to ask
    > for $600.00 for this bike? TIA,
    >
    > tim

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I've upgraded road bike so I'm selling my used Cannondale R900 with 2.8
    frame.
    > It has all 8-speed 600/Ultegra (with STI) except for a 172.5 DA crank,
    trued
    > Mavic Open 4CD wheels, new tires and bar tape, Profile bars, Look
    carbon/carbon
    > threadless fork, SPD-R pedals, generic seat and post. No lights or
    computer. It
    > comes with two extra cassettes, is in good condition and rides very
    nicely.
    > Looking at what new entry level road bikes cost, would it be out of line
    to ask
    > for $600.00 for this bike?

    Well, there's a pretty good way to find out -- search ebay for Cannondales and click on "completed
    items." This will give you the prices that similar bikes have sold for. Note that not all the
    auctions will have actually resulted in a sale -- just pay attention to the ones which have.

    In my experience, ebay is a seller's market. You'll probably do better there than anywhere else,
    especially if you don't live in a major population center (and with good weather this time of year).

    I've gotten good response from rec.bicycles.marketplace -- you might repost this there, as well as
    do a "FA" post if/when you list on ebay. Don't forget to put the frame size in your header.

    Matt O.

  5. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "TDWFL" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've upgraded road bike so I'm selling my used Cannondale R900 with 2.8
    frame.
    > It has all 8-speed 600/Ultegra (with STI) except for a 172.5 DA crank, trued Mavic Open 4CD
    > wheels, new tires and bar tape, Profile bars, Look
    carbon/carbon
    > threadless fork, SPD-R pedals, generic seat and post. No lights or computer.
    It
    > comes with two extra cassettes, is in good condition and rides very nicely. Looking at what new
    > entry level road bikes cost, would it be out of line to
    ask
    > for $600.00 for this bike?

    As I was reading your description, the figure $600 popped into my head. I think that sounds like a
    good ballpark price.

  6. Jplyons

    Jplyons Guest

    > Well, there's a pretty good way to find out -- search ebay for Cannondales and click on "completed
    > items." This will give you the prices that similar bikes have sold for. Note that not all the
    > auctions will have actually resulted in a sale -- just pay attention to the ones which have.

    How on ebay can you check for completed items, ie history? I've searched in vane for this feature
    with no clue.

    Jim Lyons

  7. Erik Brooks

    Erik Brooks Guest

    > How on ebay can you check for completed items, ie history? I've searched in vane for this feature
    > with no clue.
    >
    > Jim Lyons

    After you do any search there, you will see a link near the search box. This link is worded as
    'refine search'. Click there and see many new options, including a checkbox for 'search completed
    auctions only'.

  8. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > > Well, there's a pretty good way to find out -- search ebay for
    Cannondales
    > > and click on "completed items." This will give you the prices that
    similar
    > > bikes have sold for. Note that not all the auctions will have actually resulted in a sale --
    > > just pay attention to the ones which have.

    "jplyons" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How on ebay can you check for completed items, ie history? I've searched in vane for this feature
    > with no clue.

    In EBay's "refined search", check the box next to "completed items" and you'll search in
    vain no more.

  9. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Erik Brooks" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > How on ebay can you check for completed items, ie history? I've searched in vane for this
    > > feature with no clue.
    > >
    > > Jim Lyons
    >
    > After you do any search there, you will see a link near the search box. This link is worded as
    > 'refine search'. Click there and see many new options, including a checkbox for 'search completed
    > auctions only'.

    It's a couple of boxes below that -- in the box titled "Display." You'll see a link to "Completed
    items," but it only appears if you've done a search. If you don't see it, type something in the
    search box and try it. When you follow the link, it changes to "Active items" to get you back to
    where you were.

    This is such a powerful tool for finding out true market value that car dealers have been pressuring
    ebay to remove it. Pawn shops, etc. now just look on ebay to determine value, instead of thumbing
    through price guides.

    Matt O.

  10. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >Well, my rule of thumb was always 1/2 the price of that bike when new. So try to find something
    >comparable and figure half of that. That's a guideline I used to use and it was fairly true of the
    >market here. Of course, there are exceptions.
    >
    >Cheers,

    This does not take into account the age of the bike. This bike apparently has 8 speed stuff which is
    certainly less desireable for many and indicates it is age to some real extent. But condition is
    important too, is it a near new looking bike with only a couple of miles on it or does it look like
    it has been ridden 30,000 miles, these make a big difference.

    My notion is that bike prices vary greatly around the country, what might be reasonable in San
    Francisco might be outrageous in San Diego.

    jon isaacs

  11. Tdwfl

    Tdwfl Guest

    > "Peter Cole" [email protected] wrote: >As I was reading your
    description, the figure $600 popped into my head. I
    >think that sounds like a good ballpark price.

    That's about how I arrived at the price. Thanks to all for the feedback!

    tim

  12. Jplyons

    Jplyons Guest

    "

    > In EBay's "refined search", check the box next to "completed items" and you'll search in vain
    > no more.

    Forgot to thank one and all for the info on finding completed. Thanks!!!