Used road bikes 5'4 30-31" ish inseam

Drew Eckhardt

Guest
My girlfriend (5'4" and my 30" inseam jeans don't drag on
the ground when she wears them) would like to buy a bicycle
with gears for transportation arround town.

I'm a roadie and she'd like to have the same efficiency I do
if/when we start doing longer rides together - hence the
desire for a road bike instead of a hybrid. She doesn't know
if she'll get that far and doesn't want to worry about the
bike so we want a used one. Presta valves and 700c wheels
would be good.

The questions are 1) What sort of top tube + stem length are
we looking for (I'm 6" taller with the same inseam, so I'm
thinking the dimension up top is going to matter a lot more
than seat tube length) and 2) what price range are we
looking at (brifter or downtube shifter).

--

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Drew Eckhardt) wrote:

> My girlfriend (5'4" and my 30" inseam jeans don't
> drag on the ground when she wears them) would like to
> buy a bicycle

> I'm a roadie and she'd like to have the same
> efficiency I do

> The questions are 1) What sort of top tube + stem length
> are we looking for (I'm 6" taller with the same inseam, so
> I'm thinking the dimension up top is going to matter a lot
> more than seat tube length) and 2) what price range are we
> looking at (brifter or downtube shifter).

1) um, about a 48 cm frame, give or take a couple of cm?

2) $0-3000 for a decent bike with 700c (road) wheels and a
nice frame.

I know that second answer sounds like I'm joking, but I took
home a thrown-away bike that was an early-80s Nishiki with
downtube (non-indexed) shifters, good aluminum wheels, and
it was even about the right size for your wife. At the upper
end, well, you could buy a new machine with Dura-Ace or
Record and spend at least $3000.

Used index-shifting road bikes (typically early Shimano
6-speed; my friend Dave points out these frequently have
shifters on the verge of failure when they get dumped)
seem to go for $100-300. You can upgrade a nice old bike
for several hundred in parts and a bit of elbow grease to
new dt/barcon 9-speed; the difficulty is dependent on
whether you have to swap freehubs or get a freehub-hub or
wheel. Other parts necessary are shifters, derailleurs,
and a new cassette.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected]
http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/ President, Fabrizio

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:24:07 -0700, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>1) um, about a 48 cm frame, give or take a couple of cm?

I think that the 48 cm frame willl be too small. The 30"
pants inseam is equivalent to ~33" inseam to floor. That
would be a 54-56 cm bicycle.

In article <[email protected]>,
Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 00:24:07 -0700, Ryan Cousineau
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >1) um, about a 48 cm frame, give or take a couple of cm?
>
> I think that the 48 cm frame willl be too small. The 30"
> pants inseam is equivalent to ~33" inseam to floor. That
> would be a 54-56 cm bicycle.

Are you sure? The proof is in the fitting, but I have a 30"
pants inseam, and I tend to ride 52-54 cm frames.

One bit of confusion might be that there are two ways of
measuring frames (centre-of-BB to centre-of-top-tube, or centre-of-
BB to top-of seat-tube; these are abbreviated C-C and C-T,
and generally come out a few cm different). Another bit of
confusion is that this bike would be for a woman, and in
general (though not in all cases) women run to shorter
torsos (and longer legs) than men of the same height.

Thus, in a conventionally sized frame, a woman might expect
to need to get a bit smaller size (to get a shorter top
tube) and more exposed seatpost (see, compact design
benefits most women :). You can also change to a shorter
stem, but it's usually easier to raise a seat than to
shorten a stem.

Finally, small bikes tend towards women-specific geometry
anyway, so it may be moot in the end. Frames in this size
range tend to look a lot like compact-geometry frames, so
nowadays you could probably get a 48 cm frame to fit anybody
between 5'2" and 5'8".

--

Drew Eckhardt wrote:

> My girlfriend (5'4" and my 30" inseam jeans don't drag on
> the ground when she wears them) would like to buy a
> bicycle with gears for transportation arround town.
>
> I'm a roadie and she'd like to have the same efficiency I
> do if/when we start doing longer rides together - hence
> the desire for a road bike instead of a hybrid. She
> doesn't know if she'll get that far and doesn't want to
> worry about the bike so we want a used one. Presta valves
> and 700c wheels would be good.
>
> The questions are 1) What sort of top tube + stem length
> are we looking for (I'm 6" taller with the same inseam, so
> I'm thinking the dimension up top is going to matter a lot
> more than seat tube length) and 2) what price range are we
> looking at (brifter or downtube shifter).

I won't take up the challenge of suggesting a frame size
without seeing the person to be fitted. Then one will find
that the ideal frame size may vary depending on the
manufacturer, for the same person. Even period of
manufacture will affect things. Appears that top tubes have
gotten longer these past years.

My inseam (crotch bone to floor) is 85 cm (about 33 1/2 in)
and I am 178 cm (5 foot 10). The perfect frame for me, years
ago, was 56 cm, if it was an Alan. But I found myself
choosing a Colnago of size 54 cm (in fact 52,5 cm from
centre bb to top of top tube) a while back. Seat post sticks
a long way out. Not at all the same size as the Alan, but
this frame suits me much better, due to the correct length
of top tube and where I can put the stem (quite low).

Best advice is to get to a proper cycle shop whose
personnel are well-qualified to see what your girlfriend
needs and can recognise good fit vs. bad fit when she sits
on a candidate bike.

/Robert

... I think that the 48 cm frame willl be too small. The 30"
pants inseam
> is equivalent to ~33" inseam to floor. That would be a 54-
> 56 cm bicycle...

54-56cm is way too big for a 30" inseam. How do you get an
additional 3" to the floor?

I have a 29.5" inseam and I am 5'5". I have never been able
to ride a frame larger than a 50cm (and even that was too
large). My last road frame was a 46cm. It was the best
fitting frame I ever had. I finally had an inch or so of
clearance between the top tube and my crotch.

Women often ride a smaller frame than a guy, since they
often need a shorter top tube (as found on smaller frames).

I know you are looking for a complete bike, but I have my
Reynods 631 frame with carbon fork for sale cheap. It has
less than 30 miles on it (it's so nice, I could sell it as
new - I also have a set of brakes and other misc parts.)
Even though it is the nicest riding road frame I have owned,
I find I can no longer ride a standard bike. I am switching
back to a recumbent. Let me know if you are interested.

[email protected]

[email protected] (Drew Eckhardt) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My girlfriend (5'4" and my 30" inseam jeans don't drag on
> the ground when she wears them) would like to buy a
> bicycle with gears for transportation arround town.
>
> The questions are 1) What sort of top tube + stem length
> are we looking for (I'm 6" taller with the same inseam, so
> I'm thinking the dimension up top is going to matter a lot
> more than seat tube length) and 2) what price range are we
> looking at (brifter or downtube shifter).

I would agree with the other poster who recommended a
48/49cm frame size. I have 31" legs and find my 49cm Bianchi
Axis very comfortable. On the other hand my road bike is
54cm Habanero. The Axis is a much better around town bike
because I don't have issues at stop lights- it takes much
less coordination to get going and if I have to put down a
leg in a hurry it's just less intimidating. She's going to
have a fairly short torso so the smaller frame will mean
less stretching which new cyclists always seem to find very
uncomfortable.

Along those same lines I'd recommend looking at some of the
Specialized Sirrus and Seqouia models. They have flat bar
and road bar models all of which have rack and fender
mounts, 700c tires, good brakes and road tires. They are
also reasonably priced. My only objection to them is the
lack of choice in groups (Shimano only).

On 29 Apr 2004 11:30:32 -0700, [email protected]
(rocketman58) wrote:

>54-56cm is way too big for a 30" inseam. How do you get an
>additional 3" to the floor?
>
>I have a 29.5" inseam and I am 5'5". I have never been able
>to ride a frame larger than a 50cm (and even that was too
>large). My last road frame was a 46cm. It was the best
>fitting frame I ever had. I finally had an inch or so of
>clearance between the top tube and my crotch.

My trouser inseam is 30" and I ride a 55/56/57 cm frame
measured center to top. A 56 cm toptube with an 11 cm stem
or 55 with a 12. My height is 5' 9" and shrinking.

My wife is 5'5" tall. She can ride a 49 cm frame only but
needs a 12 cm stem. She has short legs and long torso. It's
usually opposite for ladies.