Used Rock Shox

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dinsdale, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Dinsdale

    Dinsdale Guest

    I'm considering installing a pair of used Rock Shox on an older Rockhoper, compliments of Recycled
    Cycles in Seattle.

    Is there anything to be aware of when buying a used suspension fork, such as these? Do they require
    maintenance, replacement parts, or do they just plain wear out?

    No sense in installing something that's already worn out.

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Dinsdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm considering installing a pair of used Rock Shox on an older Rockhoper, compliments of Recycled
    > Cycles in Seattle.
    >
    > Is there anything to be aware of when buying a used suspension fork, such
    as
    > these? Do they require maintenance, replacement parts, or do they just plain wear out?
    >
    > No sense in installing something that's already worn out.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Well, not to worry....Rock Slops come worn out right out of the box.
    --
    Slacker

  3. Voodoo

    Voodoo Guest

    > "Dinsdale" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm considering installing a pair of used Rock Shox on an older
    Rockhoper,
    > > compliments of Recycled Cycles in Seattle.
    > >
    > > Is there anything to be aware of when buying a used suspension fork,
    such
    > as
    > > these? Do they require maintenance, replacement parts, or do they just plain wear out?
    > >
    > > No sense in installing something that's already worn out.
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    >

    > Well, not to worry....Rock Slops come worn out right out of the box.

    Does this mean there's no break-in period?

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > > I'm considering installing a pair of used Rock Shox on an older
    > Rockhoper,
    > > > compliments of Recycled Cycles in Seattle.
    > > >
    > > > Is there anything to be aware of when buying a used suspension fork,
    > such
    > > as
    > > > these? Do they require maintenance, replacement parts, or do they
    just
    > > > plain wear out?
    > > >
    > > > No sense in installing something that's already worn out.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks!
    > >

    > > Well, not to worry....Rock Slops come worn out right out of the box.

    > Does this mean there's no break-in period?

    Oh, I can insure you, there most certainly will be a *brake in period. Usually followed by catching
    some mean air!
    --
    Slacker

  5. Voodoo

    Voodoo Guest

    > > Rockhoper,

    > > such
    > > > as
    > just

    > > > Well, not to worry....Rock Slops come worn out right out of the box.
    >

    > > Does this mean there's no break-in period?
    >

    > Oh, I can insure you, there most certainly will be a *brake in period. Usually followed by
    > catching some mean air!

    But I bought a new SID Team a couple weeks ago. I don't ride off cliffs or anything. I'm not a
    hammer either. It will hold up for cross country riding, right?

  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > > Does this mean there's no break-in period?
    > >

    > > Oh, I can insure you, there most certainly will be a *brake in period. Usually followed by
    > > catching some mean air!
    > >
    > But I bought a new SID Team a couple weeks ago. I don't ride off cliffs or anything. I'm not a
    > hammer either. It will hold up for cross country
    riding,
    > right?

    You have health insurance, right?
    --
    Slacker

  7. Voodoo

    Voodoo Guest

    > > > Oh, I can insure you, there most certainly will be a *brake in period. Usually followed by
    > > > catching some mean air!
    > > >
    > > But I bought a new SID Team a couple weeks ago. I don't ride off cliffs
    or
    > > anything. I'm not a hammer either. It will hold up for cross country
    > riding,
    > > right?
    >

    > You have health insurance, right?

    Not at the moment, why?!

  8. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > > But I bought a new SID Team a couple weeks ago. I don't ride off
    cliffs
    > or
    > > > anything. I'm not a hammer either. It will hold up for cross country
    > > riding,
    > > > right?
    > >

    > > You have health insurance, right?
    > >
    > Not at the moment, why?!

    That's a pity. Oh well, hopefully you ride/live near one of those teaching hospitals.
    --
    Slacker

  9. i have been running rock shox indy xc's on my hammer race for a long time now..the only problem that
    i have had was i cracked my arch about a year after getting them but i just had them warrenty
    it.....i ride them pretty hard --- 3-4' drops on them

    but thats just my opinion

    mark

    ---ride on---ride hard---

  10. Mjm

    Mjm Guest

    "voodoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...

    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > box.

    > > > But I bought a new SID Team a couple weeks ago. I don't ride off
    cliffs
    > or
    > > > anything. I'm not a hammer either. It will hold up for cross country
    > > riding,
    > > > right?
    > >

    > > You have health insurance, right?
    > >
    > Not at the moment, why?!

    I;ve had a set of Mag21's for 6 years now, and it took a Toyota minivan to finally break them. I put
    them through quite a bit with 2-3' drops and other punishment.. never had anything break on them.

  11. Voodoo

    Voodoo Guest

    > cliffs
    > > or
    > > > riding,
    > > >

    > > > You have health insurance, right?
    > > >
    > > Not at the moment, why?!
    >

    > That's a pity. Oh well, hopefully you ride/live near one of those
    teaching
    > hospitals.

    The trail is in fact very close to one, but what do you suggest I do to avoid their services?

  12. Voodoo

    Voodoo Guest

    "Mark Hainsworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i have been running rock shox indy xc's on my hammer race for a long time now..the only problem
    > that i have had was i cracked my arch about a year after getting them but i just had them warrenty
    > it.....i ride them pretty hard --- 3-4' drops on them
    >
    > but thats just my opinion

    I ran a Judy XC for three years, and never had a problem. Of course it was well maintained. Not sure
    about this new fork though. Does not look as easy to work on.

  13. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > > > Not at the moment, why?!
    > >

    > > That's a pity. Oh well, hopefully you ride/live near one of those
    > teaching
    > > hospitals.
    > >
    > The trail is in fact very close to one, but what do you suggest I do to avoid their services?

    Not a damn thing; you need to get out and meet some new friends anyway.
    --
    Slacker

  14. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    voodoo wrote:

    >>Oh, I can insure you, there most certainly will be a *brake in period. Usually followed by
    >>catching some mean air!
    >>

    > But I bought a new SID Team a couple weeks ago. I don't ride off cliffs or anything. I'm not a
    > hammer either. It will hold up for cross country riding, right?

    The phrase 'handles like a wet noodle' is often associated with SIDs...

  15. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  16. whats' that suposed to mean? i ride a '97 rocky mountain hammer race..not exactly a drop bike....

  17. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  18. Voodoo

    Voodoo Guest

    > voodoo wrote:
    >
    > >>Oh, I can insure you, there most certainly will be a *brake in period. Usually followed by
    > >>catching some mean air!
    > >>

    > > But I bought a new SID Team a couple weeks ago. I don't ride off cliffs
    or
    > > anything. I'm not a hammer either. It will hold up for cross country
    riding,
    > > right?
    >
    > The phrase 'handles like a wet noodle' is often associated with SIDs...

    I kind of ride like a wet noodle....

  19. Voodoo

    Voodoo Guest

    "mjm" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "voodoo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:D[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > box.

    > period.

    > cliffs
    > > or
    > > > riding,
    > > >

    > > > You have health insurance, right?
    > > >
    > > Not at the moment, why?!
    > >

    > I;ve had a set of Mag21's for 6 years now, and it took a Toyota minivan to finally break them.
    > I put them through quite a bit with 2-3' drops and other punishment.. never had anything break
    > on them.

    Just like anything else, people have their favorites. I had good luck with RS, which is why I bought
    another one.