Used trek 7.2 or new cannondale?

mohaviwinter

May 29, 2016
Hi guys!

I haven't ridden a bike since I was a little girl and have recently decided to take up cycling again in order to improve my fitness and lose weight. I've done a fair bit of research, but I have no actual experience with serious cycling. I am planning on riding mostly on pavement or on biking trails in local parks, and figured for this purpose a hybrid would be best for me. I would like to spend more, but for now my budget is under $500. I can upgrade to a nicer bike later, when I have a better idea of what I really want in a bike, and then maybe I can hand my starter bike down to one of my daughters.

Currently, I am trying to choose between a brand new Cannondale Quick 8 (Not sure, but I think it was a 2016: I believe it was the most recent model in the line) and a used 2012 Trek 7.2 WSD in the size XS. I test rode the Quick 8 in a size small and I liked it. Its the only bike I've test ridden so far: I was waiting to have actual money in my pocket to start really test riding more.

Is one of these a significantly better bike than the other? There is a $150 price difference between the two (the used Trek is obviously cheaper), but I suspect if it needs any repairs or maintenance I might easily end up spending about the same. On the other hand, buying the Cannondale from our LBS would establish a relationship with that shop and provide me with an in store warranty and a year of free adjustments. I'm actually really leaning in this direction over the used bike, but was hoping to hear some opinions as well. If the Trek is a better bike for me, I don't especially care if its used.

Alternatively, if there are other bikes that I should be looking at that offer a better value in my price range I would love to hear those recommendations too.

Thanks for any feedback you might have!