Usefull Tool for average speed after a ride.

Originally posted by Squint
A useful tool for a useless measure.

So "useless" that I wrote my own a long time ago. What's useless to one may be golden to another. What do you use to gauge one ride against another, number of bugs swallowed?

:)

I use kJ or average power. Sometimes, normalized power or TSS.

Average speed is less useful than time which is less useful than HR which is far less objective than kJ or power.

I use kJ or average power. Sometimes, normalized power or TSS.

Average speed is less useful than time which is less useful than HR which is far less objective than kJ or power.

Interesting that you see time as more useful than average speed since one is obviously a function of the other. As for power, great if you happen to have the equipment required. Most of us don't. Of course no measure works equally well over diverse terrain but average speed is about the best thing you can use if you don't have the necessary items to measure direct power output. Perhaps that's why it's included on almost every cyclocomputer?

;)

Well, how would you compare a 2 hr ride in the mountains with a half hour ride on flat terrain?

Using HR and time in combination is adequate and better than average speed. Average speed is not going to account for wind, terrain, riding solo vs. in a group, etc. In training logs, HR and time will most definitely be recorded with no one really caring about average speed.

The reason average speed is included is not because it's useful but because it's easily calculated from distance and time and it can be included at no extra cost.

I find it amusing when recreational riders blow through stop lights and otherwise ride recklessly trying to set a new personal best average speed. Just wait for a windless day, geez.

i do an 8mile TT every few weeks and since january, my times have been about the same. the difference is, my average power has increased by 20watts. wind plays a big factor. if it weren't for my power meter, i would assume i haven't progressed at all.

Well, how would you compare a 2 hr ride in the mountains with a half hour ride on flat terrain?

Using HR and time in combination is adequate and better than average speed. Average speed is not going to account for wind, terrain, riding solo vs. in a group, etc. In training logs, HR and time will most definitely be recorded with no one really caring about average speed.

The reason average speed is included is not because it's useful but because it's easily calculated from distance and time and it can be included at no extra cost.

I find it amusing when recreational riders blow through stop lights and otherwise ride recklessly trying to set a new personal best average speed. Just wait for a windless day, geez.

There is no comparison. Heart rates, speeds, cadence, average speed, even power output will vary on vastly different terrain.

Originally posted by velomanct
i do an 8mile TT every few weeks and since january, my times have been about the same. the difference is, my average power has increased by 20watts. wind plays a big factor. if it weren't for my power meter, i would assume i haven't progressed at all.

I also had trouble quantifying improvement several years ago. I would ride the same route at around the same HR and note the speed but I live in a very windy area. The wind is quite variable, too. It was frustrating enough that I went and bought a powermeter.

Originally posted by Beastt
There is no comparison. Heart rates, speeds, cadence, average speed, even power output will vary on vastly different terrain.

Power will reflect changes in terrain. With average speed you can't tell between a headwind, a climb, or simply riding easy.

I don't believe avg speed is a good way to measure better performance because of wind, traffic, ect. my best measure 4 months ago i strated riding with a b+ group about 40 of us would start the ride then like 6 of us finish together leaving the rest, now i leave them 6 behind and finish 1st, now im ready for the A rides.