Usefulness of bicycle maintainence books?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by TheDL, Jul 16, 2004.

1. TheDL

TheDL New Member

I'm going to be installing an, ISIS bottom bracket, crank, both derailluers, and SPD-SL pedals...I've never really installed anything before on a bike but I think I'm just as mechanically inclined as the next guy (I've done my own basic auto maintence for years). Do you guys think that I can tackle this myself with the mfg provided instuctions? Would a book be helpfull? or should I not kid myself and take it all in to an LBS to have it done?

of course I'll aquire the proper tools for all these jobs before attempting them.

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Instructions are usually good enough,especailly shimano's. www.parktool.com has lots of free how to in the repair section.

3. TheDL

TheDL New Member

Thanks. In the long run it would serve me best to learn all this myself I'm sure.

4. eric_the_red

eric_the_red New Member

If you do your own auto maintenance then you'll probably find working on a bike no problem. Usually the biggest problem is adjusting derailleurs. Like boudreaux said Shimano's instructions are pretty good. You might also check out Sheldon Brown's website, http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html.

5. starship

starship New Member

I have been to the listed web sites, and found them good. But my long-standing noise problem in my rear derailer was not solved until I bought " Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance”. My book from Bicycling is now a paper weight!

If you are going to wrench, Zinn’s book is tops :p