Usefulness of bicycle maintainence books?

TheDL

Jul 1, 2004
I'm going to be installing an, ISIS bottom bracket, crank, both derailluers, and SPD-SL pedals...I've never really installed anything before on a bike but I think I'm just as mechanically inclined as the next guy (I've done my own basic auto maintence for years). Do you guys think that I can tackle this myself with the mfg provided instuctions? Would a book be helpfull? or should I not kid myself and take it all in to an LBS to have it done?

of course I'll aquire the proper tools for all these jobs before attempting them.

TheDL said:
I'm going to be installing an, ISIS bottom bracket, crank, both derailluers, and SPD-SL pedals...I've never really installed anything before on a bike but I think I'm just as mechanically inclined as the next guy (I've done my own basic auto maintence for years). Do you guys think that I can tackle this myself with the mfg provided instuctions? Would a book be helpfull? or should I not kid myself and take it all in to an LBS to have it done?

of course I'll aquire the proper tools for all these jobs before attempting them.
Instructions are usually good enough,especailly shimano's. www.parktool.com has lots of free how to in the repair section.

boudreaux said:
Instructions are usually good enough,especailly shimano's. www.parktool.com has lots of free how to in the repair section.

Thanks. In the long run it would serve me best to learn all this myself I'm sure.

If you do your own auto maintenance then you'll probably find working on a bike no problem. Usually the biggest problem is adjusting derailleurs. Like boudreaux said Shimano's instructions are pretty good. You might also check out Sheldon Brown's website, http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html.

I have been to the listed web sites, and found them good. But my long-standing noise problem in my rear derailer was not solved until I bought " Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance”. My book from Bicycling is now a paper weight!

If you are going to wrench, Zinn’s book is tops :p