Useless Products

I use "helium" in my tires instead of plain air, it makes my bike lighter so I can go a lot faster, especially up hills...:cool:

bigpedaler said:
be sure to use shoe polish as a primer, it adds depth to the colors.
And make sure you paint the chain, chainrings, crank, pedals, handlebars, deraileurs, rear cassette, rims, spokes the same color or at least one that blends with the frame. I don't know why bikes have developed a custom of leaving these areas as bare metal or carbon... it looks terrible.

I've been looking at all the online parts outlets, and I can't find what I'm looking for -- maybe you all can help me. I want to replace all my quick-releases with matching slow-releases.

bigpedaler said:
I've been looking at all the online parts outlets, and I can't find what I'm looking for -- maybe you all can help me. I want to replace all my quick-releases with matching slow-releases.
Careful, the nice ones are really expensive...

bigpedaler said:
Do they come in transparent anodized colors?
Only a limited number of colors. The transparent anodization can damage the uberunobtanium material used in producing the slow releases. I think you can only get pink, yellow and magenta...

I shouldn't be making this public before the patent comes through, but I have designed a small electric motor that can fit into only a slightly larger than normal rear hub. The motor can add 2 Watts of power to help hill climbing. It is powered by six car batteries which are held in place by steel rigging attached to the seat stays.

Crankyfeet said:
I shouldn't be making this public before the patent comes through, but I have designed a small electric motor that can fit into only a slightly larger than normal rear hub. The motor can add 2 Watts of power to help hill climbing. It is powered by six car batteries which are held in place by steel rigging attached to the seat stays.
Your secret is safe with me....

bigpedaler said:
Your secret is safe with me....
Thanks... I'm very excited. I am doing the first field test this Saturday evening. I'm going to do it in the dark to maintain secrecy.

I'm a little concerned about the batteries though. I'm not sure that the battery fluid won't spill out on the 24% grade hill climb I am going to test on.

The 2 watts of extra power though should have the same effect as spending an extra $1000 on super light wheels. I should also be able to stay in the big chainring as a result of the power boost.

Well, I've got a design for a conversion kit to plant a Hayabusa motor to your bike for the same purpose of aiding hill climbs. Its amazing how a 160hp motor aids in those steep hills, There have been a couple of drawbacks, it adds 432lbs to the bike, the crank has to be widdened to clear the motor, for some reason the bikes stock chain won't hold up, gas mileage is only in the upper 30mpg range, BUT it will do 194mph.....of course finding 700C tires that are speed rated has proven to be a challenge.

Rather than carry those heavy batteries, use a front hub generator to power the motor.

scuppy said:
Rather than carry those heavy batteries, use a front hub generator to power the motor.
OMG that's brilliant. I hadn't considered the weight of the batteries as having much effect. I think it will be a negligible negative drag on the climbs compared to the 2W power boost though.

The front hub dynamo is a great idea however. In fact I will probably add that to the set-up in any case to recharge the batteries while riding. It could be a perpetual motion system, requiring little, if any pedalling on the flats...

stlblues said:
Well, I've got a design for a conversion kit to plant a Hayabusa motor to your bike for the same purpose of aiding hill climbs. Its amazing how a 160hp motor aids in those steep hills, There have been a couple of drawbacks, it adds 432lbs to the bike, the crank has to be widdened to clear the motor, for some reason the bikes stock chain won't hold up, gas mileage is only in the upper 30mpg range, BUT it will do 194mph.....of course finding 700C tires that are speed rated has proven to be a challenge.
Forget it. Just ride Cheng Shins, they will hold up fine at those speeds. May I suggest that you use wheels with at least 32 spokes? :D

Powerful Pete said:
Forget it. Just ride Cheng Shins, they will hold up fine at those speeds. May I suggest that you use wheels with at least 32 spokes? :D
Cool, I didn't realize they were rated for 200+mph and I hope the 32 spokers handle the 170hp, of course the NOS will kick it up to 240hp.:rolleyes:

stlblues said:
Cool, I didn't realize they were rated for 200+mph and I hope the 32 spokers handle the 170hp, of course the NOS will kick it up to 240hp.:rolleyes:
There ya go. Mod it with NOS. That will set you apart! :D