user error.

Marx SS

New Member
Jun 8, 2004
Can a cropper this morning on the way into work.
Commuting on my old Apollo MTB with a Single speed convert (DMR chain tensioner) I was heading east up at the top end of Flinders St towards the corner of Spring st (Melb CBD) where I jumped up onto the footpath (from the road) as the cars weren’t giving any room between them & the gutter. I hopped up & then threw my chain as I’m outa the saddle grinding my ridulous ratio for commuting (44/18). With my blunted un-co reflex reaction & not considering my SPDs recalistrant behaviour I went over the ‘bars & with the rear siding out to the left handside I then lowsided coming down on my right side. In front of a bloke waiting for a taxi I was just laying there kakking myself, what else is there to do when you fall off your bike all on your lonesome?
The concrete pavement didn’t offer much of a cusioning so I was there checking the bark off my elbo & knee. My hip hurt heaps but under the lycra looked fine, didn’t even tear it. Bloody bike - well there was no one else to blame.

That’s 3 strikes with this bloody tensioner throwing my chain (other 2x times didn’t cause any falls etc). Yeah sure, I know it’s all my fault. When I originally installed it the new chain it would not make the cogs by only a fraction, so I added an extra link & expected the DMR chain tentioner to take up what was now considerable slack. :rolleyes:
I should have redid the chain (dropping that extra link) after the chain settled in a little giving me that length I needed, but nah I thought, that was getting too logical.

Not good, not good, hope you recover well!
Read here for mixed product review:
DCD Chain Tensioner
You're gear ratio is a tad high but understandable if commuting on a SS, other suggestion, how about a (Brian) Eno hub? Sorry, several of us sitting around yesterday at the SS Nats were kicking back, drinking beer & thought up a new name for these hubs. BTW, where were you? :D

Got my multi-speed for singletrack, maybe come winter I might swap roles between the 2 (32/16?).
Out sunday on something less environmentally friendly.

Marx SS wrote:
> Can a cropper this morning on the way into work.
> Commuting on my old Apollo MTB with a Single speed convert (DMR chain
> tensioner) I was heading east up at the top end of Flinders St towards

Arh thats some bad luck... two Apollo MTB stack stories within one week
in here!.. I'm removing the Apollo decals from my MTB tonight, the
bike has had so many things break/replaced that its time to stop the
free advertising they get.

Anyone else riding an Apollo MTB, be warned. things happen in threes!
And stay away from trees just in case fate decides to play an evil
spelling trick.. ;)

cheers,
GPL