USian's: don't forget to set your clocks ahead!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Apr 1, 2006.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM tomorrow
    morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!

    I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate; starting
    next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an additional 4 weeks
    (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By that I assume they mean it
    won't get dark as early as it does in the winter.

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. aem

    aem Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM tomorrow
    > morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!

    Except in one state (Pennsylvania?) where the governor has granted an
    hour's dispensation to bars that want to stay open for that hour that
    would be taken away from them by the change. In case the NCAA
    basketball fans are still partying. -aem

  3. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    aem wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM
    >> tomorrow morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!
    >>

    > Except in one state (Pennsylvania?) where the governor has granted an
    > hour's dispensation to bars that want to stay open for that hour that
    > would be taken away from them by the change. In case the NCAA
    > basketball fans are still partying. -aem

    LOL I remember one year (a long time ago!) being at a Halloween party on
    the night when Daylight Savings Time ended. At 2:00, hey! It's only 1:00!
    Party On!! (Those days are long gone for me.)

    Jill

  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM
    > tomorrow morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!
    >
    > I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate;
    > starting next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an
    > additional 4 weeks (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By
    > that I assume they mean it won't get dark as early as it does in the
    > winter.
    >
    > Jill

    Jill,

    So tomorrow is Monday??? Dammit!

    :D

    Andy

  5. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM tomorrow
    > morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!
    >
    > I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate; starting
    > next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an additional 4 weeks
    > (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By that I assume they mean it
    > won't get dark as early as it does in the winter.

    As anyone told those rocket scientists that if they extend daylight savings
    time so that we use less energy in the evening we will be waking up in the
    dark and using it then instead?

  6. On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 13:53:11 -0600, "jmcquown" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM tomorrow
    >morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!

    I'm an American, but I will set my clocks forward an hour tonight
    anyway.

    Peace,
    Carol

  7. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > jmcquown wrote:

    > > I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate;
    > > starting next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an
    > > additional 4 weeks (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By
    > > that I assume they mean it won't get dark as early as it does in
    > > the winter.

    > As anyone told those rocket scientists that if they extend daylight
    > savings time so that we use less energy in the evening we will be
    > waking up in the dark and using it then instead?

    You might be. I don't get up that early, it's always light when I roll
    in. The annoying thing will be the built-in DST adjustment in my VCR
    and such won't work. I don't know if there's a patch for the computer,
    probably.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  8. Arri London

    Arri London Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    > > Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM tomorrow
    > > morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!
    > >
    > > I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate; starting
    > > next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an additional 4 weeks
    > > (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By that I assume they mean it
    > > won't get dark as early as it does in the winter.

    > As anyone told those rocket scientists that if they extend daylight savings
    > time so that we use less energy in the evening we will be waking up in the
    > dark and using it then instead?

    Don't blame scientists!! Anyway it's very much a case of cutting off the
    board at one end and nailing the piece to the other end.

  9. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Arri London wrote:
    > Dave Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> jmcquown wrote:
    >>
    >>> Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM
    >>> tomorrow morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!
    >>>
    >>> I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate;
    >>> starting next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an
    >>> additional 4 weeks (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By
    >>> that I assume they mean it won't get dark as early as it does in
    >>> the winter.

    >> As anyone told those rocket scientists that if they extend daylight
    >> savings time so that we use less energy in the evening we will be
    >> waking up in the dark and using it then instead?

    > Don't blame scientists!! Anyway it's very much a case of cutting off
    > the
    > board at one end and nailing the piece to the other end.

    I think the whole thing is silly. Pick a time and stick with it!

  10. On Sat 01 Apr 2006 12:53:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

    > Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM tomorrow
    > morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!
    >
    > I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate; starting
    > next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an additional 4 weeks
    > (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By that I assume they mean it
    > won't get dark as early as it does in the winter.

    Until this year, the holdouts on Dalight Savings Time were Hawaii, Indiana,
    and Arizona. Indiana finally caved this year, so it only leave the other
    two. I, for one, am glad that we don't observe it in Arizona.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  11. "jmcquown" <[email protected]> writes:

    >I think the whole thing is silly. Pick a time and stick with it!

    Amen, sister. I hate Daylight Savings Time with a passion. Some of
    my crazier neighbors in the western part of the state refuse to partake
    in DST, and I'm in agreement with him.

    Stacia

  12. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM tomorrow
    > morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!

    These days I have very few clocks to reset, most are radio controlled.
    I think I have just two to reset, my microwave oven and my stove... I
    would need to set the clock on my coffee maker too but since I retired
    I no longer need to use that timer, so I don't set that one anymore,
    and for the same reason I don't wear a wrist watch anymore either. The
    other dozen or so all reset themselves. I wouldn't buy another clock
    that doesn't reset itself. Radio controlled clocks are dead accurate,
    it's nice to look around and every clock reads the same to the split
    second. The really nice thing is that whenever there's a power outage
    (and there are lots of mini outages here) and the power comes back on a
    few seconds minutes later I no longer need to go around setting each
    clock.

    Sheldon

  13. Lefty

    Lefty Guest

    > I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate; starting
    > next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an additional 4

    weeks
    > (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By that I assume they mean

    it
    > won't get dark as early as it does in the winter.
    >
    > Jill

    They tried it in 1972 during the "energy crisis". It was dark at 8 A.M.in
    winter in Michigan. There were some kids standing out in the cold and dark
    waiting for school buses, or walking along icy roads in the dark.

    As for saving energy, more parents drove their kids to school so there were
    bigger traffic jams. I drove past a school on the way to college each day,
    and there were lines of traffic idling while waiting to get in the school
    driveway along with buses, added to what was normally rush hour for
    commuters going to work.

    There was one related death, a college student was hit by a van as he rode
    his bike on a hilly two-lane road around a lake -- a dark road with no
    lights.

    When the government had to, it rescinded the rule.

    A bad idea still.
    --
    Lefty

    Life is for learning
    The worst I ever had was wonderful

  14. Pete C.

    Pete C. Guest

    Glitter Ninja wrote:

    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > >I think the whole thing is silly. Pick a time and stick with it!

    > Amen, sister. I hate Daylight Savings Time with a passion. Some of
    > my crazier neighbors in the western part of the state refuse to partake
    > in DST, and I'm in agreement with him.
    >
    > Stacia

    DST lost all relevance many many decades ago. It no longer "saves"
    anything. Regardless of what time the clocks say the length of daylight
    is the same and we're either lighting it at home or at work.

    Loose the idiotic DST and get on with life. Time zones are also
    irritating, I say we do UCT time for all. 8am is 8am no matter where you
    are on the planet. Just get used to the sun rising at 11pm somewhere.

    Pete C.

  15. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 15:46:39 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    > > Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM tomorrow
    > > morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!
    > >
    > > I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate; starting
    > > next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an additional 4 weeks
    > > (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By that I assume they mean it
    > > won't get dark as early as it does in the winter.

    > As anyone told those rocket scientists that if they extend daylight savings
    > time so that we use less energy in the evening we will be waking up in the
    > dark and using it then instead?

    http://inventors.about.com/od/fstartinventors/ss/Franklin_invent_6.htm

  16. sf

    sf Guest

    On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 18:39:34 -0600, jmcquown wrote:

    > Arri London wrote:
    > > Dave Smith wrote:

    > >> As anyone told those rocket scientists that if they extend daylight
    > >> savings time so that we use less energy in the evening we will be
    > >> waking up in the dark and using it then instead?

    > > Don't blame scientists!! Anyway it's very much a case of cutting off
    > > the
    > > board at one end and nailing the piece to the other end.

    > I think the whole thing is silly. Pick a time and stick with it!

    I send that! I don't care if it's Daylight Savings or Standard, just
    don't switch.

  17. sf

    sf Guest

    On 2 Apr 2006 03:13:00 +0200, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Sat 01 Apr 2006 12:53:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?
    >
    > > Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM tomorrow
    > > morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!
    > >
    > > I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate; starting
    > > next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an additional 4 weeks
    > > (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By that I assume they mean it
    > > won't get dark as early as it does in the winter.

    > Until this year, the holdouts on Dalight Savings Time were Hawaii, Indiana,
    > and Arizona. Indiana finally caved this year, so it only leave the other
    > two. I, for one, am glad that we don't observe it in Arizona.

    You Go Hawaii and Arizona!
    I clearly remember my childhood in Michigan, listening to the Chicago
    radio stations and feeling sorry for them when they had to switch...
    AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN.

  18. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Don't blame scientists!! Anyway it's very much a case of cutting off the
    > board at one end and nailing the piece to the other end.

    I love that. Perfect.

    It's the scientist's fault anyway. It's always their fault.

    nancy

  19. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Lefty" <[email protected]> wrote

    > They tried it in 1972 during the "energy crisis". It was dark at 8 A.M.in
    > winter in Michigan. There were some kids standing out in the cold and dark
    > waiting for school buses, or walking along icy roads in the dark.

    It's dark later in Michigan to start with! being at the far end of the time
    zone. I remember being there at Thanksgiving time and my niece
    leaving for school in the pitch dark.

    nancy

  20. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "Lefty" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> They tried it in 1972 during the "energy crisis". It was dark at 8
    >> A.M.in winter in Michigan. There were some kids standing out in the
    >> cold and dark waiting for school buses, or walking along icy roads
    >> in the dark.

    > It's dark later in Michigan to start with! being at the far end of
    > the time zone. I remember being there at Thanksgiving time and my
    > niece
    > leaving for school in the pitch dark.
    >
    > nancy

    Where is it they have 6 months of sun and 6 months of darkness? Is that the
    North or South pole? Or is it Alaska?

    Jill