USian's: don't forget to set your clocks ahead!

news:S%[email protected]...
> Nancy Young wrote:
> > "Lefty" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> >> They tried it in 1972 during the "energy crisis". It was dark at 8
> >> A.M.in winter in Michigan. There were some kids standing out in the
> >> cold and dark waiting for school buses, or walking along icy roads
> >> in the dark.

> > It's dark later in Michigan to start with! being at the far end of
> > the time zone. I remember being there at Thanksgiving time and my
> > niece
> > leaving for school in the pitch dark.
> >
> > nancy

> Where is it they have 6 months of sun and 6 months of darkness? Is that

the
> North or South pole? Or is it Alaska?
>
> Jill

It is at and near both poles, and within the arctic (antarctic) circle.
--
Lefty

Life is for learning
The worst I ever had was wonderful

Lefty wrote:
> "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Where is it they have 6 months of sun and 6 months of darkness? Is
>> that the North or South pole? Or is it Alaska?
>>
>> Jill

> It is at and near both poles, and within the arctic (antarctic)
> circle.

Remind me not to move there :)

jmcquown wrote:
> Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM tomorrow
> morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!
>
> I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate; starting
> next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an additional 4 weeks
> (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By that I assume they mean it
> won't get dark as early as it does in the winter.
>
> Jill

I hated "springing forward" when I was a kid, but now I like DST. Nice
to get home from work, and have a couple of hours of daylight left.

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat 01 Apr 2006 12:53:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?
>
>> Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM tomorrow
>> morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!
>>
>> I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate; starting
>> next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an additional 4
>> weeks
>> (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By that I assume they mean
>> it
>> won't get dark as early as it does in the winter.

> Until this year, the holdouts on Dalight Savings Time were Hawaii,
> Indiana,
> and Arizona. Indiana finally caved this year, so it only leave the other
> two. I, for one, am glad that we don't observe it in Arizona.

I had a sales job for a while, when I lived in Chicago, and I had a few
calls every year in Indiana. I'd always check to see what time it was there,
when I made appointments, because I could never remember when it was the
same and when it was an hour off. Seems that there were some areas in
Indiana that followed DST, too. Maybe a couple of the border cities or
something.

Donna

jmcquown wrote:

> Where is it they have 6 months of sun and 6 months of darkness? Is that the
> North or South pole? Or is it Alaska?

Neither. Both poles have longer days during the summer and longer nights during
the winter. There periods of almost total light and almost total darkness are
short. .

On Sun 02 Apr 2006 01:20:00p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it D.Currie?

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Sat 01 Apr 2006 12:53:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> jmcquown?
>>
>>> Daylight Savings Time (in most, not all States) begins at 2:00AM
>>> tomorrow morning so set your clocks before you go to bed!
>>>
>>> I heard something on the news and wasn't sure if it's accurate;
>>> starting next year they are expanding Daylight Savings Time by an
>>> additional 4 weeks (?) to allow for more "energy conservation". By
>>> that I assume they mean it won't get dark as early as it does in the
>>> winter.

>> Until this year, the holdouts on Dalight Savings Time were Hawaii,
>> Indiana,
>> and Arizona. Indiana finally caved this year, so it only leave the
>> other two. I, for one, am glad that we don't observe it in Arizona.

> I had a sales job for a while, when I lived in Chicago, and I had a few
> calls every year in Indiana. I'd always check to see what time it was
> there, when I made appointments, because I could never remember when it
> was the same and when it was an hour off. Seems that there were some
> areas in Indiana that followed DST, too. Maybe a couple of the border
> cities or something.
>
> Donna

You're right. Not all of Indiana observed DST, but I can't recall where
the divisions were.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> > Don't blame scientists!! Anyway it's very much a case of cutting off the
> > board at one end and nailing the piece to the other end.

> I love that. Perfect.
>
> It's the scientist's fault anyway. It's always their fault.
>
> nancy

*taking umbrage* I'm a scientist. It's not my fault :)

On Sun 02 Apr 2006 02:57:33p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Arri London?

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> > Don't blame scientists!! Anyway it's very much a case of cutting off the
>> > board at one end and nailing the piece to the other end.

>> I love that. Perfect.
>>
>> It's the scientist's fault anyway. It's always their fault.
>>
>> nancy

> *taking umbrage* I'm a scientist. It's not my fault :)

Can you prove it?

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun 02 Apr 2006 01:20:00p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it D.Currie?
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> On Sat 01 Apr 2006 12:53:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>>> jmcquown?

>>> Until this year, the holdouts on Dalight Savings Time were Hawaii,
>>> Indiana,
>>> and Arizona. Indiana finally caved this year, so it only leave the
>>> other two. I, for one, am glad that we don't observe it in Arizona.

>> I had a sales job for a while, when I lived in Chicago, and I had a few
>> calls every year in Indiana. I'd always check to see what time it was
>> there, when I made appointments, because I could never remember when it
>> was the same and when it was an hour off. Seems that there were some
>> areas in Indiana that followed DST, too. Maybe a couple of the border
>> cities or something.
>>
>> Donna

> You're right. Not all of Indiana observed DST, but I can't recall where
> the divisions were.

It was right between two of my customers, which drive me batty. Short drive
though it was.

Donna

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 02 Apr 2006 02:57:33p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Arri London?
>

> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >>
> >> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote

> >> I love that. Perfect.
> >>
> >> It's the scientist's fault anyway. It's always their fault.
> >>
> >> nancy

> > *taking umbrage* I'm a scientist. It's not my fault :)

> Can you prove it?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬

LOL yes. My word is my bond.