Using 135 spaced hub in a 130 spaced frame?

wide_ride

Aug 14, 2003
Hello all,

I have an old steel frame that I'm converting to a single speed and the chainstays are spaced at 130mm. I bought a set of wheels on eBay and it was noted that the rear hub was spaced for 130, but they're Surly's that are 135mm. I should have researched that a bit more before the purchase ... oh well. So, to the question. Has anyone spread the chainstays of a steel frame to fit a larger hub and if so, did it work ok?

Also, the rims are Salsa Delgado-X, 22mm wide, a bit wider than the average road rim I believe. Will road brakes (Shimano 600) work ok on a rim that wide? Once again, poor planning on my part.

Thanks,
JR

wide_ride said:
Hello all,

I have an old steel frame that I'm converting to a single speed and the chainstays are spaced at 130mm. I bought a set of wheels on eBay and it was noted that the rear hub was spaced for 130, but they're Surly's that are 135mm. I should have researched that a bit more before the purchase ... oh well. So, to the question. Has anyone spread the chainstays of a steel frame to fit a larger hub and if so, did it work ok?

Also, the rims are Salsa Delgado-X, 22mm wide, a bit wider than the average road rim I believe. Will road brakes (Shimano 600) work ok on a rim that wide? Once again, poor planning on my part.

Thanks,
JR
the brakes should work fine. Can you squeeze it in, yes, but it will be tight and a real pain to take the wheel on and off. If it's not the best frame in the world you could try spreading it with a bit of force (it has been done with some muscle and bits of timber), no guarantees it comes out very even. Otherwise you could get it spread the proper way by a frame builder.

You don't need a frame builder to change your spacing for you. The 2.5mm per side wont' be too bad to stretch in/out when you are putting the wheel in and taking it out.

If you really want to though, you can change the spacing *yourself* with a couple of 2x4's and some string, to check alignment. Here's the page that tells how to do it, and good reading even if you don't:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html