Using 2 Head lights (light&Motion, CatEye)

mysrh

Apr 2, 2006
What do you think the idea using 2 head lights?
I'm thinking to get Light & Motion Solo Logic (prolly MV one) to allow me seeing the road I'm riding on. The other one maybe CatEye El500 or EL501 used for its blinking ability and focus beam so it'll be visible enough to drivers/others.

Wondering also, is Light&Motion Vega, how is the mounting? I read its light is good enough for commuting purpose, but the mounting can be really bad.

mysrh said:
What do you think the idea using 2 head lights?
I'm thinking to get Light & Motion Solo Logic (prolly MV one) to allow me seeing the road I'm riding on. The other one maybe CatEye El500 or EL501 used for its blinking ability and focus beam so it'll be visible enough to drivers/others.

Wondering also, is Light&Motion Vega, how is the mounting? I read its light is good enough for commuting purpose, but the mounting can be really bad.
I know several people who use a similar combination as you mention. I use a Cateye HL-EL400 almost exclusively in flash mode as an easily pocketable "to be seen, not see" light for twilight and inclement weather conditions. I could be wrong, but I didn't think that the larger HL-EL500 or 510 have a flash mode for some bizarre reason.
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/battery_headlights_chart.html

Hi Serenaslu, do you also use a second light to allow you to see your surrounding?

I wonder, too, if using the light&motion light only will do the job, since I certainly don't want to distract other people being blinded from the light, hence I might not want to use it all the time.

Serenaslu is right, the Cateye EL-500 doe not flash, I've got one. I've had a few drivers flash their high beams at me, so its definitely a "be seen" light.

i use the L&M vega mounted on my handlebar and L&M Solo Logic Mv mounted on my helmet (battery goes into jacket pocket - it's currently winter in the southern hemisphere).

I have not had any problems with the mounting for the Vega and never had it fall off like what some people say (reviews on mtbr.com). my only caution is that the beam's rather narrow, so it's not very useful for peripheral vision especially in the absence of street lighting. that is the reason why i decided to get the Solo Logic and to have it mounted on my helmet - it allows me to see where my head points to and it also has a pretty good spill beam unlike the Vega.

HTH

boon

Gday Boon, with your Vega, mind telling me how wide is the beam in comparison to Solo?

And is the MV any different to ARC Li-on, the only thing I know MV can be used with any batteries from L&M.

the beam (including spill beam) on the vega is probably about 1/5 to 1/4 as wide as the Solo Logic. the put things into perspective: the spill beam on the Solo Logic is so wide that i can see my handlebar and bike computer without having the tilt my head fully down, i.e. a slight downward tilt of the head and moving my eyes down.

the Mv comes with a NiMH battery pack, whereas the ARC Li-Ion is...Li-Ion. from the specs on L&M's website, i think the run time is about the same, so the advantage with the Li-Ion battery is size/weight and charge time. the Mv comes with a 14-hour slow charger and can be a hassle to use. that battery can be charged using L&M's multi-chem rapid charger, which i highly recommend if you're going down to Mv path.

boon