Using 9spd chain rings with an 8spd chain

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jason Spaceman, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. I need new chain rings for my Kona AA, but I can't seem to find 4-bolt 8 speed rings anywhere,
    everything is 9 speed now. I found a shop that has some RaceFace 4-bolt 9 speed rings on sale, would
    these work with an 8 speed chain and gear system? Has anyone tried this before? Will my front
    derailleur still shift smoothly?

    J. Spaceman

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I need new chain rings for my Kona AA, but I can't seem to find 4-bolt 8 speed rings anywhere,
    > everything is 9 speed now. I found a shop that has some RaceFace 4-bolt 9 speed rings on sale,
    > would these work with an 8 speed chain and gear system? Has anyone tried this before? Will my
    > front derailleur still shift smoothly?

    Yes - no worries.

    Shaun aRe - BT, DT.