Using a 10 speed Daytona chainring with Record 10 cranks in 9 speed drivetrain

When my son was in high school he did a couple junior races so I set
him up with a 44-tooth big ring so he would comply with junior gear
restrictions.
He's neither in hs nor racing any longer, so when I embarked on a fixed
gear project recently I thought I'd offer to swap him the 44 for a 53
that I have in my parts box.

To sweeten the deal I told him I'd not only clean up/tune up his bike,
but I'd be willing to swap the Veloce 170 cranks on his bike, for a set
of Record 172.5 crankset that I had tried out a few years ago and
decided against using (he could probably benefit from the extra length,
having long surpassed me in the length department).

I was working on the bike last night and had two senior moments. First,
I realized that the 53 chainring is a Daytona 10-speed and his bike is
a 9-speed, so it will require wider spacing to accomodate the 9-speed
chain. Can I achieve this just by using the chain ring bolts from
Veloce cranks with the Record cranks, or do I need any additional
spacers?

The other realization was that ... did I mention that the 53 ring is a
_Daytona_ 10-speed chainring? The crank is Record. So the roll off pin
on the ring is between two bolt holes, rather than being next to the
bolt hole, Record style. So aside from effectively rendering this pin
more or less useless and being generally inelegant ... is this a bad
thing?

I think I know the answer, but I'm entertaining suggestions to the
contrary. Do I have to leave him with his Veloce cranks and go out and
get myself another set of 170s for my fixed gear?

Thanks

> I was working on the bike last night and had two senior moments. First,
> I realized that the 53 chainring is a Daytona 10-speed and his bike is
> a 9-speed, so it will require wider spacing to accomodate the 9-speed
> chain. Can I achieve this just by using the chain ring bolts from
> Veloce cranks with the Record cranks, or do I need any additional
> spacers?
>
> The other realization was that ... did I mention that the 53 ring is a
> _Daytona_ 10-speed chainring? The crank is Record. So the roll off pin
> on the ring is between two bolt holes, rather than being next to the
> bolt hole, Record style. So aside from effectively rendering this pin
> more or less useless and being generally inelegant ... is this a bad
> thing?

Both should be no problem, i've switched Centaur(Daytona)/Record
9/10 chainrings and it all worked fine. Don't forget to switch the BB with
the cranks. Record uses 102mm and Daytona 111mm.

[email protected] wrote:
> When my son was in high school he did a couple junior races so I set
> him up with a 44-tooth big ring so he would comply with junior gear
> restrictions.
> He's neither in hs nor racing any longer, so when I embarked on a fixed
> gear project recently I thought I'd offer to swap him the 44 for a 53
> that I have in my parts box.
>
> To sweeten the deal I told him I'd not only clean up/tune up his bike,
> but I'd be willing to swap the Veloce 170 cranks on his bike, for a set
> of Record 172.5 crankset that I had tried out a few years ago and
> decided against using (he could probably benefit from the extra length,
> having long surpassed me in the length department).
>
> I was working on the bike last night and had two senior moments. First,
> I realized that the 53 chainring is a Daytona 10-speed and his bike is
> a 9-speed, so it will require wider spacing to accomodate the 9-speed
> chain. Can I achieve this just by using the chain ring bolts from
> Veloce cranks with the Record cranks, or do I need any additional
> spacers?

No need to do anything. The 9s chain will work just fine with the 10s
ring. The difference is miniscule.

> The other realization was that ... did I mention that the 53 ring is a
> _Daytona_ 10-speed chainring? The crank is Record. So the roll off pin
> on the ring is between two bolt holes, rather than being next to the
> bolt hole, Record style. So aside from effectively rendering this pin
> more or less useless and being generally inelegant ... is this a bad
> thing?

Not at all...it really means little. A well adjusted front der will
eliminate any problems

[email protected] wrote:
> When my son was in high school he did a couple junior races so I set
> him up with a 44-tooth big ring so he would comply with junior gear
> restrictions.
> He's neither in hs nor racing any longer, so when I embarked on a fixed
> gear project recently I thought I'd offer to swap him the 44 for a 53
> that I have in my parts box.
>
> To sweeten the deal I told him I'd not only clean up/tune up his bike,
> but I'd be willing to swap the Veloce 170 cranks on his bike, for a set
> of Record 172.5 crankset that I had tried out a few years ago and
> decided against using (he could probably benefit from the extra length,
> having long surpassed me in the length department).
>
> I was working on the bike last night and had two senior moments. First,
> I realized that the 53 chainring is a Daytona 10-speed and his bike is
> a 9-speed, so it will require wider spacing to accomodate the 9-speed
> chain. Can I achieve this just by using the chain ring bolts from
> Veloce cranks with the Record cranks, or do I need any additional
> spacers?
>
> The other realization was that ... did I mention that the 53 ring is a
> _Daytona_ 10-speed chainring? The crank is Record. So the roll off pin
> on the ring is between two bolt holes, rather than being next to the
> bolt hole, Record style. So aside from effectively rendering this pin
> more or less useless and being generally inelegant ... is this a bad
> thing?
>
> I think I know the answer, but I'm entertaining suggestions to the
> contrary. Do I have to leave him with his Veloce cranks and go out and
> get myself another set of 170s for my fixed gear?

Ignore all 9/10 chainring labels. Your life will go on, just
with less unnecessary stress.

It's easy to pull out the pin and tap a new hole for a 3mm
screw behind the arm. Or pony up $$$$ for a Record ring. . .

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org