Using a bar end shifter with an Alfine hub.

RonSonic ??? wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:10:27 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> What's described here looks like a protection racket (techincally,
>> legally, "unfair trading practices", "restraint of trade", "attempted
>> monopoly practice" and suchlike depending on where you are), and in
>> Canada would very likely be illegal and in the States it would depend
>> on in which State it happens whether you can get the law enforced.
>> However, you have another much more effective tool than the law to
>> hand: publicity, naming and shaming transgressors.
>>
>> [...]

> Andre, she's writing from mainland China.

Indeed, which makes the situation a whole nutter kettle of fish.

Besides, if I recall correctly, Marian is friends with the bike shop
owner and involved with the association.

In article
<b1f87899-5751-4f51-9188-1596222d34b1@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Hank <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 12:31 am, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 05:42:31 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >If they would ship it, I would see Harris "San Jos8" as the perfect bike
> > >concept: buy that, and there's your perfect 8-speed commuter with room
> > >for fenders. But technically it has the red-band hub, not the new Alfine.

> > For the uninitiated, ie me, what's so special about the Alfine?
> >
> > Jasper

> Slight refinement with the internal mechanism, they claim smoother
> shifts. I think the big deal is that it's disc-brake compatible.

Yes. It's also worth mentioning that the price is (at least from Harris)
the same as the old "red band" hub, which I would take as a sign that
the Alfine will supersede the "red band."

In general, the Shimano 8-speed hubs seem to be the most beloved and
most refined of the recent 7-8 speed gearhubs, a substantial improvement
over the old (and still good) Shimano 7. SRAM has a new 9-speed
(i-Motion) which is at least as nice, if not better, but it also costs
more.

All of these discussions take place in the context of the Rohloff 14,
which offers MTB-levels of gear range, but at a stiff price.

I think that the reason hub gearing is getting a lot of attention now is
because it got a fair bit better in the last 5 years or so. Multiple
serious new hubs in the 7-9 speed range, all promising better efficiency
than in the past.

Since these things verge on maintenance-free and offer a very clean (not
to mention muck-resistant; my own interest revolves around creating a
mud-loving cyclocrosser) drivetrain, they're attractive.

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:55:19 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] may have
said:

>http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiawathacyclery/
>
>"That silver gizmo on the downtube shifter boss is a travel agent,
>intended to make short-pull brake levers work with v-brakes (aka
>linear pull). Coincidentally, it also amplifies the cable pull the
>correct amount to make an 8sp bar-end shifter index for the Alfine/
>Nexus 8sp hub. It works surprisingly well in the friction mode, too. "
>
> Thoughts?

If it works, that's good news; I loathe twist-grips, and Shimano has
not seen fit to offer any other kind of shifter for the Nexus as far
as I have been able to determine.

On Mar 25, 7:43 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> RonSonic ??? wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:10:27 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> What's described here looks like a protection racket (techincally,
> >> legally, "unfair trading practices", "restraint of trade", "attempted
> >> monopoly practice" and suchlike depending on where you are), and in
> >> Canada would very likely be illegal and in the States it would depend
> >> on in which State it happens whether you can get the law enforced.
> >> However, you have another much more effective tool than the law to
> >> hand: publicity, naming and shaming transgressors.

> >> [...]

> > Andre, she's writing from mainland China.

> Indeed, which makes the situation a whole nutter kettle of fish.
>
> Besides, if I recall correctly, Marian is friends with the bike shop
> owner and involved with the association.

The joke about her being my adopted mom has sufficiently crystallized
into reality by now that she's been trying to set me up with (and
marry me off to) friends of hers for about a year and a half now as a
way to ensure that I don't leave the country.

The little shop is completely unauthorized. Everything they sell is
gray market. Gray market Shimano, gray market SRAM, gray market
frames, gray market clothing. They'll admit straight out that the
reason that Bianchi frame is so cheap is because it's not actually
Bianchi (despite the bogus Made it Italy label) and if you wonder why
it is their Trek clothing costs less than the big bike shop that's
because Trek doesn't know they are selling it...

The best stuff that they have is generally fell off the back of a
factory goods that were diverted or which the factory never
acknowledged making in the first place. They also carry a wide
variety of counterfeit goods and OEM stuff that shouldn't be available
to the public.

Some of the stuff they have is legitimate. And some of the stuff the
other non pro shops have is not only legitimate but also good enough
to occasionally show up on newbies. Since the retail source of
legitimate goods can't be identified and since the big shop has gotten
big enough that they can't always even determine whether or not it
came from them it means that you end up being able to use stuff that
didn't come from them but it basically boils down to, if you aren't
me[1] then you have to buy from us (or at least order through us).

The big bike shop owner absolutely hates the little bike shop with a
passion that far outweighs anything they've done wrong to her and if
she could shut them down she happily would. When the policy of "you
can't use it at our events unless you bought it from us" got to be too
much of a headache (mostly caused by "us" changing from merely being
large to being huge) they changed it to "you can't use it unless you
got it from an authorized dealer."

This means it's okay for the guy who got my secondhand Cannondale to
ride it at an event but it's not okay for the couple that got their
Cannondales in Beijing to ride them at events. Mine really is a
Cannondale. Their's look like Cannondale but they don't weigh right
for the frames.

It's okay for me or Ji Yang to wear a "Great Wall" jersey from Max
Huerzler because we got them direct from Max Huerzler. It's not okay
for anyone else. No matter where they got the jersey they very
definitely didn't get it direct from Huerzler when his organization
did a trip to China and that means it wasn't authorized.

It also means if you have Shimano parts on your bike that when the
mechanic inspects it pre-race for the safety check then it better also
have the right serial numbers. He isn't going to go out of his way to
double check but he if it is recognizable OEM that isn't OEM for that
bike then it isn't going to be allowed.

Although this policy is basically in place because of the rivalry (I
think intense hatred is a better phrase actually) between the two
shops it's also part of an effort on the part of all the various
authorized bike shops across China to stamp out counterfeit and/or
unauthorized gray market bike stuff. For some strange reason that I
haven't quite figured out the high-end authorized bike shops seem to
be the only product or service I've encountered in China where, if you
think it costs too much, they won't give you the option to just buy
something fake instead.

-M

[1] I am me so none of the rules apply.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:10:45 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute <[email protected]>
wrote:

>also typically Shimano, to
>grab the segment for their proprietary disc mount.

Incidentally, a Shimano-to-6-bolt converter isn't that hard to find. But
does add relatively significant expense, I've seen them around 20 euros.

Jasper

On 24 Mar 2008 10:13:55 +0200, [email protected] (A R:nen) wrote:
>Marian <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> My local bike shop // cycling association will no longer allow people
>> to participate in races or group events if they are using equipment
>> that was purchased through unauthorized channels.

>The UCI rules on equipment are absurd enough as they are, but this goes
>well beyond that. What particular rule are they (ab)using to justify this?

She's in China, remember. I suspect the 'rule' is "we're organising the
damn thing. Follow our rules or play elsewhere.".

Jasper

Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> writes:
> On 24 Mar 2008 10:13:55 +0200, [email protected] (A R:nen) wrote:

> >The UCI rules on equipment are absurd enough as they are, but this goes
> >well beyond that. What particular rule are they (ab)using to justify this?

> She's in China, remember. I suspect the 'rule' is "we're organising the
> damn thing. Follow our rules or play elsewhere.".

I knew that. I suppose they could be enforcing the rule "They shall,
in the way they behave in the race, observe the legislation of the
country where the race takes place." (1.2.082) in conjunction with
legislation that is whatever whoever is in charge says it is. I bet
(cf 1.2.030) a rigorous application of this rule could make the
Olympics even more exciting...

On Mar 24, 11:10 pm, Andre Jute <[email protected]> wrote:
> What's described here looks like a protection racket (techincally,
> legally, "unfair trading practices", "restraint of trade", "attempted
> monopoly practice" and suchlike depending on where you are), and in
> Canada would very likely be illegal and in the States it would depend
> on in which State it happens whether you can get the law enforced.
> However, you have another much more effective tool than the law to
> hand: publicity, naming and shaming transgressors.
>
> First of all, let's look at this:

It is an attempted monopoly practice and I was responding specifically
to the fact that someone here is NOT buying Shimano because of
Shimano's attempts to restrict gray market. My LBS is doing their
best to restrict ALL gray market anythings, with a special focus on
counterfeit goods, goods that fell off the back of a factory, and
Shimano products whose serial numbers indicate that they should be OEM
rather than aftermarket. The third part of it is almost certainly
because the local shop is a shop-in-shop partner (do you guys have
shop-in-shop in NorAm and Europe?)

> > My local bike shop // cycling association will no longer allow people
> > to participate in races or group events if they are using equipment
> > that was purchased through unauthorized channels.

> If it's the local bike shop running races for their customers, they
> are entirely within their rights to say "this is a privarte club,
> members only -- and if you don't want to follow the rules, bugger
> off".
>
> If it is the local cycling association, which is open to the public,
> but taken over by the cycle shop interests, or unduly influenced by
> them ("It is in the interest of all cyclists to ensure a strong LBSs,"
> or similar circumlocutions will be a dead giveaway), the remedy is to
> make a public ruction in front of invited media, who you will have
> briefed up front. You can also get review by the courts of the actions

The local cycling association is technically a separate body from the
bike shop but the headquarters are on the third floor of the bike shop
and the secretary general is the owner of the bike shop. It's
certainly possible to be involved with the local cycling association
and NOT be an employee of the bike shop and it's even possible to be
involved with the local cycling association and not be a cyclist but
it doesn't happen much.

A number of the provincial level coms weren't riders until after they
got involved in the rules and regs side of it and some of them still
aren't. Almost none of the organizers of the Tour have anything at
all to do with cycling except for making a really classy professional
event.

I would never make a fuss about anything the LBS did. Even if the
bike shop owner's attempts to set me up with the bike shop manager
have (at least so far) failed, I'm practically family.

> of such public bodies but generally the best bet is tp get the local
> trading standards officers, whatever they may be called in your
> region, to act against the shop for colluding with the public body of
> the cycling association to restrain trade. If you present this as a
> form of corruption, the battle is won.

You assume that I want to.

> > > <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > > The second problem is how to get the Alfine hub. Here in Canuckland, buying
> > > through an official Shimano distribution channel (the dreaded LBS and our
> > > even more dreaded wholesale cartel) is simply not an option. Hideously
> > > expensive - not even worth asking for a price quote. And Shimano has been
> > > very naughty in squealching grey-market and mail-order sales, a key reason
> > > why I have not bought Shimano for 5 years.

> ... to be read with this from Marian:
>
> > This means that the guy who was wearing counterfeit Discovery kit was
> > told he had to wear other clothing to race on Saturday (a t-shirt
> > instead), and the guy whose 105 drivetrain was bought in Hong Kong had
> > to borrow someone else's bike because the regional Shimano rep
> > didn't recognize it as being either the correct drivetrain for that
> > frame or correct aftermarket serial numbers.

> I doubt it is Shimano, the Japanese firm, or their North American
> headquarters breaking anti-monopolies law and trade restraint law.

Definitely not their North American headquarters having anything to do
with that. :)

> They are far too fly to commit dangerous and expensive (fines can run
> into tens of millions) stupidities like that. But they may close their
> eyes to what a regional distributor who is otherwise independent does.
> So the first thing is to write Shimano a letter explaining the
> situation and to get a reply denying that they support such abuses.

But I want Shimano to continue liking me. I'm still trying to
convince them that they should hire me (without either making me move
to Shanghai or learn Japanese).

Writing letters would be very counterproductive.

> If it is the local Shimano importer and LBS operating a protection
> racket through undue influence in a local cycling association, as I

The LBS definitely has undue influence on the local Shimano rep. Back
before he was responsible for two provinces and one special economic
zone he used to be their head mechanic. If he's in town and they are
over-busy he still does wrenching for them.

> suspect, publicity and the local fair trading enforcement officers
> (who are not cops -- they don't need warrants; they're like the
> customs and excuse, a law onto themselves) will shut down their racket
> in very short order. It would help to catch the "local Shimano rep" on
> camera and tape telling people that they cannot ride if they didn't
> buy their components from him and his LBS accessories in his crimes.

You don't need to buy your components from him. You need to buy
authorized components. There is a difference.

One of my friends has Hong Kong purchased XTR which has the correct
aftermarket serial numbers. The shop will fix that bike for him and
the cycling association will allow him to use it in races even though
he didn't get the parts from them.
This guy's Hong Kong purchased 105 had serial numbers which indicated
it was gray market (don't ask me how, they just did) so the shop won't
fix his bike and the cycling association won't let him use it in
races.

If I bought my Chris King in China I'd be getting it from someone who
paid sales tax when they got it from a distributor that paid import
tax and it would cost almost twice as much. I'm currently waiting for
the dollar/renminbi exchange rate to hit 7 to 1 because while Y4050 is
practically the same as Y4150, Y3999 is vastly cheaper than Y4001. If
I weren't me I'd have to pay a nominal installation fee and wheel
lacing fee on goods purchased elsewhere but because I am me they'll
probably waive the charge and I'll take the mechanic out to dinner
instead.

> And you needn't be too delicate about explaining his precise
> relationship to Shimano: if he or the LBS who benefits from his
> shenannigans call him "the Shimano rep", that's a handle: call him
> that to the media and wait for Shimano indignantly to denounce him and
> his practices: more good publicity.

I prefer the handle "arrrgghh nononononono don't tickle me" since
that's usually what I say whenever he sneaks up behind me. I've also
been known to call him "hey stupid" but that's generally reserved for
his boss.

> > The unofficial policy remains that you can't use anything bought from
> > the rival bike shop but this is part of the official policy since
> > everything at the rival bike shop is grey market.

> Once more, if it is private club belonging to this LBS, you haven't
> got a foot to stand on. Start your own rival independent club.

The enemy camp tried to do that and in terms of independent cycling
clubs in China they're doing a pretty good job. It's just that the
public cycling association here is kind of sort of the most serious
amateur cycling association in the country so competing with them is a
pointless venture destined for failure.

> However, if this is a public cycling association unduly influenced by
> this one LBS, aided and abetted by "the Shimano rep", you have all the
> tools to hand already to put a stop to an abuse in a very short order.
> If you handle this right, Shimano will have no option but to help you
> put these guys down; just don't expect them to thank you for it (LOL).

The one LBS, their network of partner shops in five other cities,
their branch shop in another city, their repair shop out by where we
have training rides, and their two mini shops inside of malls.

The LBS has temporarily put a stop to opening new bike shops but only
because they ran out of trained employees to run them.

> I should say that I have no problem with local bike shops; I know
> which are incompeent, which crooks, which greedy, which merely
> unpleasant; I just give those a miss and import whatever I want from
> the Continent; I give such business as they want and can handle to the
> nice LBS and don't mind paying their prices to keep them in business
> in case I ever need them.

I'd give the mall shops a miss since I'm not doing folders or city
bikes and I'd also avoid the guys in Wenchang, Qionghai, Changjiang,
and Danzhou cities but I'd say somewhere around 75% of my stuff comes
from the main shop and all of my repair work is done by them. If I
import something from overseas it's usually because it is otherwise
unavailable in this country. As for the rest of my stuff, people are
just in the habit of giving me things for free ...

> I see absolutely no reason
> you shouldn't apply the same principles against your local LBS/Shimano
> distributor/cycling association cartel -- except that you don't
> threaten destructive publicity as I did in the case of the crooked
> computer merchant, you start with outraged publicity at this abuse of
> the public trust.

Well, I suppose it's
a) because I don't think ruining people is an especially productive
use of my time
b) think that their efforts are reasonable when it comes to running a
high quality business in China

Then, of course, I'm also friendly with them and owe it to them for my
ever deepening involvement in the Chinese professional sporting
world. If it weren't for the LBS/Shimano distributor/cycling
association in question I might be doing some kind of boring desk job
in Shanghai or New York instead of helping organize an international
triathalon right now.

-M

On Mar 25, 12:20 am, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:55:19 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] may have
> said:
>
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiawathacyclery/

> >"That silver gizmo on the downtube shifter boss is a travel agent,
> >intended to make short-pull brake levers work with v-brakes (aka
> >linear pull). Coincidentally, it also amplifies the cable pull the
> >correct amount to make an 8sp bar-end shifter index for the Alfine/
> >Nexus 8sp hub. It works surprisingly well in the friction mode, too. "

> > Thoughts?

> If it works, that's good news; I loathe twist-grips, and Shimano has
> not seen fit to offer any other kind of shifter for the Nexus as far
> as I have been able to determine.

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2671

The original 7 speed Nexus came with a lovely "rocker" style shifter
for flat bars with dial indicator.

landotter wrote:
> On Mar 25, 12:20 am, Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 15:55:19 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] may have
>> said:
>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/hiawathacyclery/
>>> "That silver gizmo on the downtube shifter boss is a travel agent,
>>> intended to make short-pull brake levers work with v-brakes (aka
>>> linear pull). Coincidentally, it also amplifies the cable pull the
>>> correct amount to make an 8sp bar-end shifter index for the Alfine/
>>> Nexus 8sp hub. It works surprisingly well in the friction mode, too. "
>>> Thoughts?

>> If it works, that's good news; I loathe twist-grips, and Shimano has
>> not seen fit to offer any other kind of shifter for the Nexus as far
>> as I have been able to determine.

> http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2671
>
> The original 7 speed Nexus came with a lovely "rocker" style shifter
> for flat bars with dial indicator.

And Alfine has a trigger shifter

--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

On Mar 25, 8:10 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
> > If it works, that's good news; I loathe twist-grips, and Shimano has
> > not seen fit to offer any other kind of shifter for the Nexus as far
> > as I have been able to determine.

> http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2671
>
> The original 7 speed Nexus came with a lovely "rocker" style shifter
> for flat bars with dial indicator.

I too hate twist-grips, especially on a winter bike wearing big mitts.
For my winter bike I found a 7 speed Nexus that was in need of a
shifter, and was very happy to source the rocker version. Simple and
easy, and after three winters it just keeps on working.

And while I love internal-gear hubs I will say that I've cycled
through each winter with mild concern for getting a flat, as removing
the rear wheel for a tube change is NOT fun in the cold. This is not
helped by Shimano's in-board cable hook-up mechanism, which is
probably fine for the other three seasons, but once it gets mucked
with slush it's really hard to get the thing hooked back in and the
wheel in place. If I didn't have to occasionally tow a trailer I'd
probably just do with a single-speed...

But it's very nice to know of the Alfine shifter mod!

Mark

Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:33:48 -0700 (PDT), [email protected]:

>And while I love internal-gear hubs I will say that I've cycled
>through each winter with mild concern for getting a flat, as removing
>the rear wheel for a tube change is NOT fun in the cold.

Why do you have to remove the wheel just to fix a flat?

Andreas

Andreas Oehler wrote:
> Why do you have to remove the wheel just to fix a flat?

My guess:
Replacing a tube in the brutal Canadian winter is orders of magnitude
easier and more reliable than patching.

Hell, that's what I do in the Georgia summer.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> And while I love internal-gear hubs I will say that I've cycled
> through each winter with mild concern for getting a flat, as removing
> the rear wheel for a tube change is NOT fun in the cold. This is not
> helped by Shimano's in-board cable hook-up mechanism, which is
> probably fine for the other three seasons, but once it gets mucked
> with slush it's really hard to get the thing hooked back in and the
> wheel in place.

Just carry one of these

<http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-1196498-5533743?asin=B0003008OK&AFID=Nextag&LNM=B0003008OK|Crme_Brlee_5-pc._Set_with_Torch&ref=tgt_adv_XSN10001>

--
Michael Press

On Mar 26, 11:26 pm, "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:33:48 -0700 (PDT), [email protected]:

> >> And while I love internal-gear hubs I will say that I've cycled
> >> through each winter with mild concern for getting a flat, as removing
> >> the rear wheel for a tube change is NOT fun in the cold.

> Andreas Oehler wrote:
> > Why do you have to remove the wheel just to fix a flat?

> My guess:
> Replacing a tube in the brutal Canadian winter is orders of magnitude
> easier and more reliable than patching.
>
> Hell, that's what I do in the Georgia summer.
>
> \\paul
> --
> Paul M. Hobson
> .:change the f to ph to reply:.

Has anyone ever produced a straight tube that you could replace
without removing the wheel?

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:26:30 -0400, "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Replacing a tube in the brutal Canadian winter is orders of magnitude
>easier and more reliable than patching.

Easier? Not when you've got a traditional gearhub on, let alone a fully
enclosed chaincase (those things are a ***** even in a well-lit dry warm
workshop).

Jasper

On Mar 26, 7:26 pm, "Paul M. Hobson" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:33:48 -0700 (PDT), [email protected]:

> >> And while I love internal-gear hubs I will say that I've cycled
> >> through each winter with mild concern for getting a flat, as removing
> >> the rear wheel for a tube change is NOT fun in the cold.

> Andreas Oehler wrote:
> > Why do you have to remove the wheel just to fix a flat?

> My guess:
> Replacing a tube in the brutal Canadian winter is orders of magnitude
> easier and more reliable than patching.
>
> Hell, that's what I do in the Georgia summer.
>
> \\paul
> --
> Paul M. Hobson
> .:change the f to ph to reply:.

Indeed. When it's -15C you don't really want to take your gloves off
and start fiddling with a patch and glue, which probably won't stick
anyway.

The good thing is that in the past 10 winters I've only had one flat,
and that was the front tire and I was only a few blocks from home.
While the urban roads are often bare, their curbsides usually remain
snow and ice covered and there's little debris. It's THIS time of the
year, when the melt is happening and everything is being uncovered
that I have to start watching what I'm cycling over.

Mark

On Mar 26, 4:33 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Mar 25, 8:10 am, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > If it works, that's good news; I loathe twist-grips, and Shimano has
> > > not seen fit to offer any other kind of shifter for the Nexus as far
> > > as I have been able to determine.

> >http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2671

> > The original 7 speed Nexus came with a lovely "rocker" style shifter
> > for flat bars with dial indicator.

> I too hate twist-grips, especially on a winter bike wearing big mitts.
> For my winter bike I found a 7 speed Nexus that was in need of a
> shifter, and was very happy to source the rocker version.  Simple and
> easy, and after three winters it just keeps on working.
>
> And while I love internal-gear hubs I will say that I've cycled
> through each winter with mild concern for getting a flat, as removing
> the rear wheel for a tube change is NOT fun in the cold.

Run the right tire and you're pretty much not ever going to get a
flat. Schwalbe Marathon, IRC Tandem, Vittoria Randonneur--that sort of
thing.

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 04:58:33 -0700 (PDT), JennyB
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Has anyone ever produced a straight tube that you could replace
>without removing the wheel?

Dear Jenny,

Sure, butt-ended tubes (straight as opposed to endless) were sold
about a century ago.

1916 Morley Bros., middle column:
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/morley/10.jpg

Mead, circa 1910, lower right:

http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S=arc/ScannedLit/1910's+MeadParts+7.jpg

1919 Black Beauty, left-hand "Securo" brand:

http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S=arc/ScannedLit/1919 black beauty/Black+Beauty+pg+24.jpg

Here's a 1911 motorcycle version, with the valve in the middle:

http://books.google.com/books?id=iqA2cUcijBkC&printsec=frontcover#PPA287,M1

Fiddling butt-ended inner-tubes into place could require a tire horn
and a tire mouse, right column:
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/morley/12.jpg

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:58:01 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 04:58:33 -0700 (PDT), JennyB
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Has anyone ever produced a straight tube that you could replace
>>without removing the wheel?

>Dear Jenny,
>
>Sure, butt-ended tubes (straight as opposed to endless) were sold
>about a century ago.
>
>1916 Morley Bros., middle column:
> http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/morley/10.jpg
>
>Mead, circa 1910, lower right:
>
>http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S=arc/ScannedLit/1910's+MeadParts+7.jpg
>
>1919 Black Beauty, left-hand "Securo" brand:
>
>http://www.nostalgic.net/index.asp?S=arc/ScannedLit/1919 black beauty/Black+Beauty+pg+24.jpg
>
>Here's a 1911 motorcycle version, with the valve in the middle:
>
>http://books.google.com/books?id=iqA2cUcijBkC&printsec=frontcover#PPA287,M1
>
>Fiddling butt-ended inner-tubes into place could require a tire horn
>and a tire mouse, right column:
> http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/morley/12.jpg
>
>Cheers,
>
>Carl Fogel

A better illustration of a tire mouse, ready to pull a butt-ended
inner-tube through the small opening in a hose-pipe style tire:
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/m-w/images/tiremouse.jpg

Bigger view of a tube horn, which reduced the friction by acting as a
smooth funnel for the 7-foot long rubber tube that was being dragged
into the tire by the mouse:
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/m-w/images/tubehorn.jpg

The lower-left page describes unstitching and removing a punctured
butt-ended tube, while the upper-left page describes inserting the
replacement:
http://www.blackbirdsf.org/m-w/images/doubletubebooklet.jpg

Some tubular-style tires of that era were glued to the rim, but were
solid, like a radiator hose, with no stitching seam facing the rim.
Instead, there was a small opening for inserting and removing the
inner tube, which you lined up with the valve-hole on the rim.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel