Using a bar end shifter with an Alfine hub.

Jasper Janssen wrote:
> Easier? Not when you've got a traditional gearhub on, let alone a fully
> enclosed chaincase (those things are a ***** even in a well-lit dry warm
> workshop).

Yes. We know. That's the point of this whole discussion. Not sure why
you snipped the portion that made all this clear.

\\paul
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 03:37:41 -0700 (PDT), JennyB
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mar 27, 7:58 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Fiddling butt-ended inner-tubes into place could require a tire horn
>> and a tire mouse, right column:
>>  http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/morley/12.jpg
>>

>That's not something I'd like to try by the roadside, but I'm thinking
>that butt-ended tubes might be useful with clincher tyres for utility
>cyclists and tourists.

Dear Jenny,

Other people hoped that butt-ended tubes would make tire repair
easier, but butt-ended tubes vanished because they weren't really
easier to replace and produced poor results.

With a heavily loaded touring bicycle or an even heavier motorcycle,
you're either crouching next to the beast, trying to work on the tire
through the frame and hoping that it doesn't fall over (or onto you)
from the center-stand, or else you're trying to do the same thing with
the beast lying on its side, which is still awkward.

It's always easier to work on the tire out of the frame. We just
shrink from the task of getting it in and out.

Early motorcycles show why butt-ended tubes seemed attractive. You had
to get the wheel out from the chain and pedals on one side, a huge
drive-belt on the engine side, and plenty of frame and fenders.

The cheerful orange paint, tidy white tires, and trailing center-stand
can't disguise the horrors of pulling this rear wheel:

http://www.asl-testsite.co.uk/motors/normal/Flying_Merkel-Model-V-1911.jpg

Who can be blamed for wanting a magic flat-fix method that skipped the
part where you pulled that rear wheel by the side of the road in the
rain, fixed it, and then reinstalled the wheel?

But butt-ended tubes vanished because fiddling them into place with
the wheel in the frame is actually more trouble than removing and
reinstalling the wheel. (Butt-ended tubes also tended to produce a
tire with a flat spot or a lump.)

There's no magic method for fixing flats. It turns out to be faster
and easier to work on the wheel alone. You save more time and trouble
by working on just the wheel than you spend getting it in and out of
the frame.

Trials riders like Gordon Jennings could change a rear motorcycle tire
in well under six minutes back in the 1950s, stop and go in the mud,
on 250-pound machines like this, using steel tire levers eight inches
long:
http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/uploads/post-26-1136539265.jpg

The "quick" release levers welded to the axles eliminated wrenches and
the air bottle slanting back above the gear case had a hose long
enough to reach either tire.

Jennings and his rivals had to fight the fender, brake rod,
brake-stay, brake-drum, heavy chain, chain guard, through-axle, a
collar fitting or two on the inside, and adjusters on the outside,
plus a wheel and tire that weighed more than a modern bicycle.

But it was still faster and easier than working on the same wheel in
the frame and trying to stuff a butt-ended tube into the tire.

Like a lot of clever schemes, the butt-ended inner tubes slowly
vanished because they didn't offer any real advantage in the field.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:07:33 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

[snip]

>Early motorcycles show why butt-ended tubes seemed attractive. You had
>to get the wheel out from the chain and pedals on one side, a huge
>drive-belt on the engine side, and plenty of frame and fenders.
>
>The cheerful orange paint, tidy white tires, and trailing center-stand
>can't disguise the horrors of pulling this rear wheel:
> http://www.asl-testsite.co.uk/motors/normal/Flying_Merkel-Model-V-1911.jpg

[snip]

An email asked if that's a thorncatcher on the motorycle's rear
fender:

http://www.asl-testsite.co.uk/motors/normal/Flying_Merkel-Model-V-1911.jpg

No, it's just the retaining spring for the center stand, which is
tucked up for riding.

***

Here's a similar retaining spring with the center stand down for
parking:
http://www.asl-testsite.co.uk/motors/normal/HD-1907.jpg

The black triangular bracing shows how the center-stand worked when
you heaved the motorcycle back and up. Modern center stand have moved
forward to just behind the foot pegs.

***

Here's a thorncatcher on the front fender of an early motorcycle:
http://www.asl-testsite.co.uk/motors/normal/Adler-1902.jpg

Above, note the interesting front brake. Below is another:
http://www.asl-testsite.co.uk/motors/normal/NSU-1901.jpg

***

An early racer whose bicycle-assist pedals have toe-clips fitted:
http://www.asl-testsite.co.uk/motors/normal/Indian-Racer-1908.jpg

Bike-chain on the right, engine-chain on the left. Pedaling with that
seat and handlebar must have been uncomfortable. The small rear
engine-side sprocket suggests that high-speed engine-side gearing
needed all the help that it could get from the pedals to get going.

***

Bicycle-frame motorcycle with 5-arm quasi-front-chain-ring used on the
rear, showing more normal engine gearing.
http://www.asl-testsite.co.uk/motors/normal/Nelk-1905.jpg

***

Lady's--er, step-through frame, reverse barber-pole gas tank,
water-cooled engine (no pump, just convection), complicated controls,
walking-stick grips, and squeeze-bulb horn:
http://www.asl-testsite.co.uk/motors/normal/Scott-1910.jpg

What looks at first like a lonely bicycle crank and pedal on the rear
axle is the actually first kick-start. It's actually mounted slightly
forward of the axle and turns a pulley, which pulls a wire, which
finally connects to the engine:
http://www.discoveringyorkshire.net/ViewMedia.aspx?MediaId=3816

A better angle, showing a Scott ready to be kick-started:
http://scottownersclub.org/Images/1913ish_brighton_1993.JPG

Typical Scott rider about to stomp down on the kick-start with
sickening fury:
http://scottownersclub.org/Images/1914_djw.jpg

Modern kick starts soon moved forward, but the rear-mounted Scott
kick-start survived into the 1920s on the Flying Squirrel.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

> Trials riders like Gordon Jennings could change a rear motorcycle tire
> in well under six minutes back in the 1950s, stop and go in the mud,
> on 250-pound machines like this, using steel tire levers eight inches
> long:
> http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/uploads/post-26-1136539265.jpg

That bike Gordon is riding: would you know what model that is? My father
still has a 1958 AJS Model 18 C/S, the 500cc single which was by then a
twin to some Matchless model.

I believe the C/S of the model designation was "Competition/Scrambler,"
though Mr. Jennings' ride seems to have a single seat.

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 05:47:11 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Trials riders like Gordon Jennings could change a rear motorcycle tire
>> in well under six minutes back in the 1950s, stop and go in the mud,
>> on 250-pound machines like this, using steel tire levers eight inches
>> long:
>> http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/uploads/post-26-1136539265.jpg

>That bike Gordon is riding: would you know what model that is? My father
>still has a 1958 AJS Model 18 C/S, the 500cc single which was by then a
>twin to some Matchless model.
>
>I believe the C/S of the model designation was "Competition/Scrambler,"
>though Mr. Jennings' ride seems to have a single seat.

Dear Ryan,

Aaargh! Jackson, not Jennings! Jackson, Jackson, Jackson!

Senility stomps in on little aphasic galoshes.

Er, I mean, what an odd typo. How kind of you not to notice it.

Where were we?

The thread where the picture appears suggests that the machine started
out as a twin to a Matchless model. It's a 1957 AJS 350cc works bike,
TLP 686.
http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6887

(Not 666, as rivals sometimes speculated.)

If you read to the end of that thread, the obvious comment appears
that a works bike is rather different than what came off the showroom
floor.

The top riders of that era usually rode highly modified machines.

For example, Miller's GOV 132 was a good forty pounds or so lighter
than a stock Ariel 500, his later Bultacos tended to have Mikuni
carburetors instead of Amals, and his Hondas were converted to
dry-sump engines. In the 1970s, the joke was that the only thing
interchangeable between a Honda TL250 and what the works riders used
was the gas cap.

Yikes! Even the link in my favorites says Jackson, not Jennings. Next
I'll be talking about Colonel Tinker, the famous early US bicycle
racer.

Cheers,

Charles Vogel

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:49:54 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 05:47:11 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>In article <[email protected]>,
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>
>>> Trials riders like Gordon Jennings could change a rear motorcycle tire
>>> in well under six minutes back in the 1950s, stop and go in the mud,
>>> on 250-pound machines like this, using steel tire levers eight inches
>>> long:
>>> http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/uploads/post-26-1136539265.jpg

>>That bike Gordon is riding: would you know what model that is? My father
>>still has a 1958 AJS Model 18 C/S, the 500cc single which was by then a
>>twin to some Matchless model.
>>
>>I believe the C/S of the model designation was "Competition/Scrambler,"
>>though Mr. Jennings' ride seems to have a single seat.

>Dear Ryan,
>
>Aaargh! Jackson, not Jennings! Jackson, Jackson, Jackson!
>
>Senility stomps in on little aphasic galoshes.
>
>Er, I mean, what an odd typo. How kind of you not to notice it.
>
>Where were we?
>
>The thread where the picture appears suggests that the machine started
>out as a twin to a Matchless model. It's a 1957 AJS 350cc works bike,
>TLP 686.
> http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6887
>
>(Not 666, as rivals sometimes speculated.)
>
>If you read to the end of that thread, the obvious comment appears
>that a works bike is rather different than what came off the showroom
>floor.
>
>The top riders of that era usually rode highly modified machines.
>
>For example, Miller's GOV 132 was a good forty pounds or so lighter
>than a stock Ariel 500, his later Bultacos tended to have Mikuni
>carburetors instead of Amals, and his Hondas were converted to
>dry-sump engines. In the 1970s, the joke was that the only thing
>interchangeable between a Honda TL250 and what the works riders used
>was the gas cap.
>
>Yikes! Even the link in my favorites says Jackson, not Jennings. Next
>I'll be talking about Colonel Tinker, the famous early US bicycle
>racer.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Charles Vogel

A page with some slightly later 350cc AJS articles in PDFs:

http://www.ajs-matchless.info/index...+niet+geauthoriseerd+domein.+(www.google.com)

Things can get confusing, since Jackson did scrambles on a 500cc AJS.

A quick history of some type and winners:

http://www.ssdt.org/sitebody/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

> On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:49:54 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 05:47:11 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
> >wrote:

> >>That bike Gordon is riding: would you know what model that is? My father
> >>still has a 1958 AJS Model 18 C/S, the 500cc single which was by then a
> >>twin to some Matchless model.
> >>
> >>I believe the C/S of the model designation was "Competition/Scrambler,"
> >>though Mr. Jennings' ride seems to have a single seat.

> >Dear Ryan,
> >
> >Aaargh! Jackson, not Jennings! Jackson, Jackson, Jackson!
> >
> >Senility stomps in on little aphasic galoshes.
> >
> >Er, I mean, what an odd typo. How kind of you not to notice it.
> >
> >Where were we?
> >
> >The thread where the picture appears suggests that the machine started
> >out as a twin to a Matchless model. It's a 1957 AJS 350cc works bike,
> >TLP 686.
> > http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6887
> >
> >(Not 666, as rivals sometimes speculated.)
> >
> >If you read to the end of that thread, the obvious comment appears
> >that a works bike is rather different than what came off the showroom
> >floor.
> >
> >The top riders of that era usually rode highly modified machines.

Ah. So probably no relation.

Wikipedia has an entry for the Matchless G80/AJS 18:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matchless_G80

My father's 1958 18CS would be the "competition" model.

The closest he's come to trials riding was that time he was riding it in
the backyard and threw himself into the bushes,