using a crank puller

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:40:33 GMT, "Rich"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>grease the thread between the extractor/crank, as greased threads will take
>considerably more force, making it less likely to strip,

Is this relevant here? The load is being applied after the puller is
screwed home.

I agree that when tightening threads, lubrication helps because the
two halves of the thread are sliding over each other.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Been there, done that. I grease the tapers now. FWIW, TA
> recommend greasing tapers even if Shimano don't. If no-one
> believes me I'll scan the instructions for the Axix Light BB.

To grease the tapers or not to grease them is one of those religious
wars. When I first started working on bikes I was told not to but I
always do now. The crank I couldn't remove had been installed not be me
but by an LBS when the bike was new some 11 years previously. They also
damaged the threads on the steerer. Brand new bike with a headset that
couldn't be tightened.

--
Dave...

Simonb wrote:

> Is it a hollow spindle? If so, you need a plug to stop the puller
> pushing into the hole:
>
> http://www.sjscycles.com/store/item3310.htm (probably cheaper
> elsewhere)

/Much/ cheaper. Most people have at least in their pocket. They're called
"1p coins".

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)