Using BMX frame to make 20" wheel touring bike?

I kind of like bicycles with twenty inch tires.

I once had a Bike Friday NWT and found it rolled fast
and was not as cumbersome as a full size wheel bike due
to its 20" wheels. The small wheels made the bike easy
to handle even when not folded. Easy to pick up.....
carry up stairs.... into house..etc.

BUT.... the reality of it was that I didn't NEED the
folding aspect of the NWT frame.... and in fact found
the added complexity of the hinge and al a nuisance

Having said that.... how feasible is it to build a
touring bike out of a good BMX frame? Could have 20"
wheels without the folding aspect.... just use long
handlebar and seat post extensions

see link

http://www.diamondbackbmx.com/depts.asp?deptid=6

Your best bet is something like a moulton http://www.alexmoulton.co.uk/

I have a bmx, its great for "messing around on" with my childer in
the local park.
As a converison to a touring bike - no way! The frame is very robust
(read heavy) and
the fork only accomodates a bmx ahead style headset and stem, the rear
dropout is for a
single speed and you can only use 15 mm axles... I could go on but I
think you get the idea.

Also check out Cannondale Hooligan - now that's what I call kool!
http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/08/ce/model-8HL1.html

"Rik O'Shea" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Your best bet is something like a moulton http://www.alexmoulton.co.uk/

Ahh yes.... would LOVE to have a Moulton but just too
pricey!! Ouch!

>Also check out Cannondale Hooligan - now that's what I call kool!
>http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/08/ce/model-8HL1.html

Very cool!!!

I go this idea from the latest Adventure Cyclist mag I
subscribe to.

They had an article abt RAGBRAI in it and a picture of
a guy that did the tour on what "looks" like a BMX bike
rigged up as a touring bike! No kidding. So I decide
to post abt this idea!!

On Mar 6, 11:45 am, [email protected] wrote:
> I kind of like bicycles with twenty inch tires.
>
> I once had a Bike Friday NWT and found it rolled fast
> and was not as cumbersome as a full size wheel bike due
> to its 20" wheels. The small wheels made the bike easy
> to handle even when not folded. Easy to pick up.....
> carry up stairs.... into house..etc.
>
> BUT.... the reality of it was that I didn't NEED the
> folding aspect of the NWT frame.... and in fact found
> the added complexity of the hinge and al a nuisance
>
> Having said that.... how feasible is it to build a
> touring bike out of a good BMX frame? Could have 20"
> wheels without the folding aspect.... just use long
> handlebar and seat post extensions
>
> see link
>
> http://www.diamondbackbmx.com/depts.asp?deptid=6

Is anyone still making something like the Haro Dart? 6SPD 20" rear
wheel, plenty fast and light, pretty compact. I loved mine when I was
younger, until that roller disk brake failed and I wrecked the thing
into a car. http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/260

This guy was selling one for $150 at the end of 06, maybe there are
more to be had. Hell, if I saw one of those for $150 I'd probably buy
it for nostalgia.

In article
<66fb4701-54e7-4cc0-8db9-9c805fef9b48@y77g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,
"Rik O'Shea" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 4:45 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> > I kind of like bicycles with twenty inch tires.
> >
> > I once had a Bike Friday NWT and found it rolled fast
> > and was not as cumbersome as a full size wheel bike due
> > to its 20" wheels. The small wheels made the bike easy
> > to handle even when not folded. Easy to pick up.....
> > carry up stairs.... into house..etc.
> >
> > BUT.... the reality of it was that I didn't NEED the
> > folding aspect of the NWT frame.... and in fact found
> > the added complexity of the hinge and al a nuisance
> >
> > Having said that.... how feasible is it to build a
> > touring bike out of a good BMX frame? Could have 20"
> > wheels without the folding aspect.... just use long
> > handlebar and seat post extensions
> >

> Your best bet is something like a moulton http://www.alexmoulton.co.uk/
>
> I have a bmx, its great for "messing around on" with my childer in
> the local park.
> As a converison to a touring bike - no way! The frame is very robust
> (read heavy) and
> the fork only accomodates a bmx ahead style headset and stem, the rear
> dropout is for a
> single speed and you can only use 15 mm axles... I could go on but I
> think you get the idea.

Sir! I would direct you to the lighter end of the BMX racing frames,
where frame weights dip below 3 pounds:

http://www.bikemania.biz/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FMF_Frame_CarbonP
ro5

For a normal seating position, you're going to need a long seatpost.
Recent BMX frames tend towards MTB seatpost diameters, so long seatposts
are available, at least if you're not too tall or too heavy. Getting the
bars high enough may or may not be a problem: a low road-style bar
position isn't going to be much higher than the normal place where BMX
bars go, and a high bar position can use either a tall stem or a
BMX-style riser bar.

BMX frame ends or not, there are derailer claws that will allow you to
hang a derailer off the back. I did this myself in converting an old
Kuwahara to a 6-speed, but a derailer drivetrain will also require a
frame respacing, which is only practical with a steel BMX frame.

For non-steel frames, you could use a hub gear system, of which the
obvious choice is the Sturmey-Archer XRF-8, which has 8 speeds, can be
as narrow as 115 mm, and has gearing especially suited to small wheels.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturmey-archer-hubs.html

Note that 115 mm is a bit wider than the stock width of 110 mm for BMX
rear ends, but it shouldn't matter.

This is a fun project, and I think the variant with a hub gear makes for
an interesting and very practical small-wheeler. The combined markets of
serious folders and recumbents mean there are some very nice wheels and
tires available if you want to spend some money on upgrades.

S-A claims 1840g for their 8-speed hub. Roughly speaking, add that to
the bike weight of a lightweight BMX, wave your hands a bit, and that's
probably what your finished bike would weigh, though there's a lot of
room to replace BMX-oriented parts with lighter bits if bike weight is a
real issue for you.

That said, I'd be flabbergasted if you could make the bike weigh more
than 30 pounds, and I think that 25 pounds would be possible with enough
money and parts changing.

A Norco Pro BMX weighs about 23 pounds:

http://www.norco.com/bikes/bmx/race/norco_pro_bmx.php

These are not heavy bikes, and they're cheap. Go for it!

On Mar 7, 6:24 am, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <66fb4701-54e7-4cc0-8db9-9c805fef9...@y77g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,
>  "Rik O'Shea" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 6, 4:45 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> > > I kind of like bicycles with twenty inch tires.

> > > I once had a Bike Friday NWT and found it rolled fast
> > > and was not as cumbersome as a full size wheel bike due
> > > to its 20" wheels. The small wheels made the bike easy
> > > to handle even when not folded. Easy to pick up.....
> > > carry up stairs.... into house..etc.

> > > BUT.... the reality of it was that I didn't NEED the
> > > folding aspect of the NWT frame.... and in fact found
> > > the added complexity of the hinge and al a nuisance

> > > Having said that.... how feasible is it to build a
> > > touring bike out of a good BMX frame? Could have 20"
> > > wheels without the folding aspect.... just use long
> > > handlebar and seat post extensions

A better basis might be a Xootr Swift
http://www.xootr.com/xootr/swift/bikes.shtml

On Mar 7, 9:24 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> >A better basis might be a Xootr Swift
> >http://www.xootr.com/xootr/swift/bikes.shtml

> I don't need the folding aspect
>
> Just want small compact wheels

I know, but in this case the folding aspect seeme not to add to weight
and complication.

DanK wrote:

> Is anyone still making something like the Haro Dart? 6SPD 20" rear
> wheel, plenty fast and light, pretty compact. I loved mine when I was
> younger, until that roller disk brake failed and I wrecked the thing
> into a car. http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/260

Those were Formula 1 BMX bikes. Redline and Diamondback also made
them, and probably others as well.

They were a flash in the pan even by bike industry standards. One of
the shops where I worked used an unsold specimen as a go-to-the-store
bike, after equipping it with tall BMX handlebars and front 'n rear
milk crates. Now that I think of it, that very bike would have made
an okay if somewhat offbeat tourer without further modification.

Chalo

[email protected] wrote:
> I kind of like bicycles with twenty inch tires.
>
> I once had a Bike Friday NWT and found it rolled fast
> and was not as cumbersome as a full size wheel bike due
> to its 20" wheels. The small wheels made the bike easy
> to handle even when not folded. Easy to pick up.....
> carry up stairs.... into house..etc.
>
> BUT.... the reality of it was that I didn't NEED the
> folding aspect of the NWT frame.... and in fact found
> the added complexity of the hinge and al a nuisance
>
> Having said that.... how feasible is it to build a
> touring bike out of a good BMX frame? Could have 20"
> wheels without the folding aspect.... just use long
> handlebar and seat post extensions
>
> see link
>
> http://www.diamondbackbmx.com/depts.asp?deptid=6

If you do not mind ISO 451-mm wheels:
<http://www.panabyc.co.jp/products/sports/PCMD.html>,
<http://www.cycleurope.co.jp/2008/mv9d.html>.

On Mar 7, 7:59 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> DanK wrote:
>
> > Is anyone still making something like the Haro Dart?  6SPD 20" rear
> > wheel, plenty fast and light, pretty compact.  I loved mine when I was
> > younger, until that roller disk brake failed and I wrecked the thing
> > into a car.  http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/haro/260

> Those were Formula 1 BMX bikes.  Redline and Diamondback also made
> them, and probably others as well.
>
> They were a flash in the pan even by bike industry standards.  One of
> the shops where I worked used an unsold specimen as a go-to-the-store
> bike, after equipping it with tall BMX handlebars and front 'n rear
> milk crates.  Now that I think of it, that very bike would have made
> an okay if somewhat offbeat tourer without further modification.
>
> Chalo

Thanks for the background. I wonder why they had such a short life
span?

Part of me hopes I'll find one of these on craigslist or at a yard
sale for a song - every so often I hear of someone finding one and it
rarely costs more than $50. I'd be a happy camper to make that find.

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you do not mind ISO 451-mm wheels:
><http://www.panabyc.co.jp/products/sports/PCMD.html>,
><http://www.cycleurope.co.jp/2008/mv9d.html>.

Cool!!

But where in the USA would I buy one?

Any place to mail order one?

[email protected] wrote:
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> If you do not mind ISO 451-mm wheels:
>> <http://www.panabyc.co.jp/products/sports/PCMD.html>,
>> <http://www.cycleurope.co.jp/2008/mv9d.html>.

> Cool!!
>
> But where in the USA would I buy one?
>
> Any place to mail order one?

I believe that you would have to get either bicycle as a gray market [1]
import. There is a potential source, but I am not sure if that
information should be publicly posted.

I would likely get one myself if I was sure I would be employed
throughout the year [2]. :(

[1] E.g. legal, but not imported through official channels.
[2] The recession has hit my area of work quite hard, with no signs of
improvement on the horizon.