Using Clipless pedal during Uphill offroads!!

soona

Jan 17, 2006
I find very difficult to clip into pedal when I have stop the ride during uphill especially on off-road. Every time, I tend to lost balance and fell down. Please advise…..

You're correct, it is difficult to clip in after stopping on a steep uphill and expect to continue climbing.

If you don't have the balance to perform the above, you basically have two choices:
1) don't stop
2) walk the bike up the hill

Scotty_Dog said:
You're correct, it is difficult to clip in after stopping on a steep uphill and expect to continue climbing.

If you don't have the balance to perform the above, you basically have two choices:
1) don't stop
2) walk the bike up the hill

soona said:
I find very difficult to clip into pedal when I have stop the ride during uphill especially on off-road. Every time, I tend to lost balance and fell down. Please advise…..
Nah, it's easy! All you have to do is stop while sitting on the bike. Rest one foot on a rock, tree root or other object and stay clipped in with the other foot. Then begin pedalling with the clipped in foot, regain balance and clip the other foot in.

Just make sure you're in a good gear. Too low will cause you to spin and lose balance. Better to pick a moderate to harder gear to pedal at a slow consistent cadence...

K50 said:
Nah, it's easy! All you have to do is stop while sitting on the bike. Rest one foot on a rock, tree root or other object and stay clipped in with the other foot. Then begin pedalling with the clipped in foot, regain balance and clip the other foot in.

Just make sure you're in a good gear. Too low will cause you to spin and lose balance. Better to pick a moderate to harder gear to pedal at a slow consistent cadence...

Thanks and i will try at this weekend.... :)

i used clips for two months bu my brain dont work right so ive been riding flats since. no probs going up hill:D

Try not clipping in until you have some movement in your bike. I put the center of my shoe (awkward yes) on the pedal and give a few good pushes. If I don't make it, my shoe is not clipped in, I step down and try it again. It takes a bit of practice.

dvddobson said:
i used clips for two months bu my brain dont work right so ive been riding flats since. no probs going up hill:D
It's actually easier to go uphill with clipless pedals once your confident with them. Flat pedals are harder to use on steep hills.

K50 said:
It's actually easier to go uphill with clipless pedals once your confident with them. Flat pedals are harder to use on steep hills.

I use SPD pedals for downhill too. I think i have better control with SPD-s on.

K50 said:
If your stuck in too hard a gear you won't be able to get going again, so you have to find that proper balance between power & spin. With practice it'll become natural.

I'm trying to teach my son not to ever stop on a hill unless he- 1.stalls (learn to shift in advance) or 2.to keep from falling - then to dab (push with the unclipped foot & pedal with the other & continue. It's better to keep climbing to the top of the hill as opposed to stoping mid climb (for no apparent reason) & have to start the climb again.

Momentum is everything. It can be difficult to maintain if your out of balance, unless you adjust your line.

soona said:
Last April I was on a Century ride (112 mi. total) and took a nasty spill at mile 36. With 76 miles to go and 12%-14% sustained climbs and some at 18% and 12,00 ft of climbing, I was in no position to really be riding let alone climbing. On occasion I had to get off and walk due to the incredible pain in my right leg. I probably walked a mile in the whole ride. In any case to get to your question, getting back on with an incline proved impossible, so here is what I did. I pointed my bike across the road to get back on and sometimes if I was really having a hard time I would go down the hill ever so slightly just so I could remount and I was good to go. Now I know you are offroad but I can't see that there would be any difference other than perhaps a steeper incline for you. Beats walking though.

woodchuck said:
Try not clipping in until you have some movement in your bike. I put the center of my shoe (awkward yes) on the pedal and give a few good pushes. If I don't make it, my shoe is not clipped in, I step down and try it again. It takes a bit of practice.
yea i use this method really does work well.