using compressor to air tires

roadbike123

Jan 15, 2006
I have a compressor and want to know if it is a good idea to use it to air up road bike tires. Any problems or pitfalls with this idea? And . . . Where do I purchase a presta and schraeder head for such a use. I would like a brass one, push on type like bike shops use.

Thanks

roadbike123 said:
I have a compressor and want to know if it is a good idea to use it to air up road bike tires. Any problems or pitfalls with this idea? And . . . Where do I purchase a presta and schraeder head for such a use. I would like a brass one, push on type like bike shops use.

Thanks
You can get the adapter for the valves at any bike store. If you plan on using a compressor for car tires, beware (or rather, keep in mind) that cars run at much lower pressures than bike tires. As long as you got a proper manometer, it should be trouble free (and easier) to use a compressor.

the trouble with air compressors is that they transfer large volumes of air in a very short span of time.

many users have sent perfectly good tires and tubes to their final reward in a few quick seconds as bicycle tires, even large mountain bike tires, require a relatively small volume to achieve maximum pressure.

a flow rate valve can be installed on the compressor to slow down the transfer rate.

Air compressors generally can't pump above 90 psi. They store the air at that and the laws of physics (or something) dictate that air will not naturally move from an area of low pressure to an area of higher pressure. Get a good floorpump and be done with it.

bobbyOCR said:
Air compressors generally can't pump above 90 psi.

Most go well above 90. At work we crank up the compressor to power different nail guns running off the same tank and there not very big either.

Why not just use a floor pump?

Thomas

Thomas13ss said:
Most go well above 90. At work we crank up the compressor to power different nail guns running off the same tank and there not very big either.

Why not just use a floor pump?

Thomas
Industrial maybe, but your common home small compressor or petrol station compressors are only built for filling large volume, low pressure tyres. Not the high pressure tyres on road bikes.

Get a compressor, floor pumps are fo po people. $99.99

00915310000.jpg

bobbyOCR said:
No, compressors are for lazy people.

Compressors are for smart people. Plus, I never liked that kind of air that won't move from an area of low pressure to an area of high pressure.

bobbyOCR said:
Industrial maybe, but your common home small compressor or petrol station compressors are only built for filling large volume, low pressure tyres. Not the high pressure tyres on road bikes.
I have two compressors for home use. One is very portable (no tank) and claims to pump to 110 psi. The other, still portable but with a small tank will pump to at least 150 psi. I have it set to cycle to maintain 110 to 120 psi.

I still would not use them to pump bike tires since it takes longer to inflate, check, deflate, check, .... with the compressor than it does to inflate past desired psi, press release valve until preasure is at desired level, and ride using a floor pump.

vadiver said:
I have two compressors for home use. One is very portable (no tank) and claims to pump to 110 psi. The other, still portable but with a small tank will pump to at least 150 psi. I have it set to cycle to maintain 110 to 120 psi.

I still would not use them to pump bike tires since it takes longer to inflate, check, deflate, check, .... with the compressor than it does to inflate past desired psi, press release valve until preasure is at desired level, and ride using a floor pump.
I must be missing something over in WA. Not a single compressor that I have seen and or used has been able to pump past 90psi using the pressure-guage pump attachment. It barely takes any time to use a floorpump (plus its cheap) to get it up to 90+.

bobbyOCR said:
I must be missing something over in WA. Not a single compressor that I have seen and or used has been able to pump past 90psi using the pressure-guage pump attachment. It barely takes any time to use a floorpump (plus its cheap) to get it up to 90+.
Air tools are where these are at. I also have some "emergency" pumps but I consider them more lights and electrical devises to jump start are car.

But you are correct with the floor pump. $50 us gets a good floor pump vs. well over $100 for a tool compressor.

I have both, and scuba cylindars at 3000 psi (regulated to around 120 -150 psi). I use my bike pump on my bike, all others on my car. The bike pump is just so much more efficient for the bike than the "tanked" air, IMHO.

bobbyOCR said:
I must be missing something over in WA. Not a single compressor that I have seen and or used has been able to pump past 90psi using the pressure-guage pump attachment.
You realize, don't you, that compressors have pressure regulators on them? They are often set to 90 psi as that's a standard for air tools, but can go much higher.

DMF said:
You realize, don't you, that compressors have pressure regulators on them? They are often set to 90 psi as that's a standard for air tools, but can go much higher.

the compressor i've got at home has two outlets, one regular and one high pressure. the regular outlet will do about 90psi, the high pressure around 150psi.

i've never used it on a bike, by the time you switch it on and it gets to pressure and is ready to use (~1 minute) i could probably have done front/back on the floor pump and had time left to spare.

--brett

DMF said:

Yikes! $89.00! Add that to the cost of your compressor.... That would be $50.00 more than I paid for a good floor pump. I also agree that a floor pump is very efficient. Added feature and benefit: It's portable. After blowing up my tubes (and my ear drums) in a warm car after a long ride, I now inflate where I ride.

DMF said:

I have one of these connected to my Scuba tank. One tank of air lasts me about a year and all I do is grab the hose and fill the bike. Simple, fast east and efficient.

I haver it attached to a coiled yellow hose I got from Home Depot. No compressor, no noise, tec.

Since I already had 4 scuba tanks the whole setup was cheap.