Using cycling glasses at night.

Drinky

Guest
Last winter I was shot at by someone in a van with a pellet gun and a
few weeks ago, I was hit hard on the chin by a small stone that was
thrown up by a car. The consequences of being hit in the eye by either
of these does not bear thinking about.

Consequently, to offer some protection at night/in poor light, I
decided to buy a clear lens for my M-Frame sunglasses (according to
Oakley, they are very impact resistant).

The problem is that they are rubbish in the dark. Every set of
headlights seems to be multiplied by 4 which is blinding. I also dug
out some very old Smith specs that I have with bright yellow lenses -
but these are not much better.

Do people here use eye protection at night and, if so, what are you
using and just how good are they at dealing with oncoming headlights?

I use clear lensed safety specs. Work well for me.

Cheers, helen s

"Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Last winter I was shot at by someone in a van with a pellet gun and a
> few weeks ago, I was hit hard on the chin by a small stone that was
> thrown up by a car. The consequences of being hit in the eye by either
> of these does not bear thinking about.
>
> Consequently, to offer some protection at night/in poor light, I
> decided to buy a clear lens for my M-Frame sunglasses (according to
> Oakley, they are very impact resistant).
>
> The problem is that they are rubbish in the dark. Every set of
> headlights seems to be multiplied by 4 which is blinding. I also dug
> out some very old Smith specs that I have with bright yellow lenses -
> but these are not much better.
>
> Do people here use eye protection at night and, if so, what are you
> using and just how good are they at dealing with oncoming headlights?

As I wear prescription glasses I get a degree of protection at all times,
and as they have an anti relective coating I do not get relections caused by
headlights that I would get from an uncoated lens.

You could always order a pair of glasses from your optician with "plano"
lenses (ie with no reractive correction) but you would be looking at about
£200 for a non "naff" looking pair!

Drinky wrote:

> Do people here use eye protection at night and, if so, what are you
> using and just how good are they at dealing with oncoming headlights?

Clear safety specs from RS, a couple of quid. No problem with
headlights, very little problem with rain.

R.

also plenty of safety specs at www.screwfix.com and your local B&Q

--
..... it's not difficult, it's not exactly rocket salad

Drinky wrote:

8<

> Do people here use eye protection at night and, if so, what are you
> using and just how good are they at dealing with oncoming headlights?

I also (always) wear safety glasses, the ones with replaceable lenses.
Thus dark for daytime and clear for night/evening.
I use the nice looking ones, made by Bolle.

--
Mike

I use clear lenses if it is windy (hence dusty). I've just started wearing
them in the cold as well to stop my eyes watering.
Not had any problem with headlights.
For the record I'm using Madison DArcs, which with three lenses work at out
a a tenner a shade. But they are starting to scratch pretty quickly.

Drinky wrote:
> Last winter I was shot at by someone in a van with a pellet gun and a
> few weeks ago, I was hit hard on the chin by a small stone that was
> thrown up by a car. The consequences of being hit in the eye by
> either of these does not bear thinking about.

The chances of those things hitting eyes and causing blindness are so
small that, unless it's sunny, I usually don't wear any eye protection at
all for the sake of comfort and better vision.

~PB

"Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Last winter I was shot at by someone in a van with a pellet gun and a
> few weeks ago, I was hit hard on the chin by a small stone that was
> thrown up by a car. The consequences of being hit in the eye by either
> of these does not bear thinking about.
>
> Consequently, to offer some protection at night/in poor light, I
> decided to buy a clear lens for my M-Frame sunglasses (according to
> Oakley, they are very impact resistant).
>
> The problem is that they are rubbish in the dark. Every set of
> headlights seems to be multiplied by 4 which is blinding. I also dug
> out some very old Smith specs that I have with bright yellow lenses -
> but these are not much better.

Don't have that problem with my Bolle Vigilantes, especially if I keep them
clean and give them a periodic going-over with anti-fog.

John
> Do people here use eye protection at night and, if so, what are you
> using and just how good are they at dealing with oncoming headlights?

in message <[email protected]>,
Drinky ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Last winter I was shot at by someone in a van with a pellet gun and a
> few weeks ago, I was hit hard on the chin by a small stone that was
> thrown up by a car. The consequences of being hit in the eye by either
> of these does not bear thinking about.
>
> Consequently, to offer some protection at night/in poor light, I
> decided to buy a clear lens for my M-Frame sunglasses (according to
> Oakley, they are very impact resistant).
>
> The problem is that they are rubbish in the dark. Every set of
> headlights seems to be multiplied by 4 which is blinding. I also dug
> out some very old Smith specs that I have with bright yellow lenses -
> but these are not much better.
>
> Do people here use eye protection at night and, if so, what are you
> using and just how good are they at dealing with oncoming headlights?

I use cheap yellow polycarbonate lenses at night. I have clear lenses for
my M-Frames which are fine for dull lighting conditions but yellow is
much better if it's actually dark. Protecting your eyes - from wingy
beasties if nothing else - is fairly important to safety.

;; Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

John Griffiths wrote:
> "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Last winter I was shot at by someone in a van with a pellet gun and a
>> few weeks ago, I was hit hard on the chin by a small stone that was
>> thrown up by a car. The consequences of being hit in the eye by
>> either of these does not bear thinking about.
>>
>> Consequently, to offer some protection at night/in poor light, I
>> decided to buy a clear lens for my M-Frame sunglasses (according to
>> Oakley, they are very impact resistant).
>>
>> The problem is that they are rubbish in the dark. Every set of
>> headlights seems to be multiplied by 4 which is blinding. I also dug
>> out some very old Smith specs that I have with bright yellow lenses -
>> but these are not much better.

> Don't have that problem with my Bolle Vigilantes, especially if I
> keep them clean and give them a periodic going-over with anti-fog.
>
> John
>> Do people here use eye protection at night and, if so, what are you
>> using and just how good are they at dealing with oncoming headlights?

Like a previous poster I use Madison D'Arcs of which the 'orangey ' coloured
lenses are supposed to be for night time use.I was a bit sceptical but they
do seem to give a better view for some reason.No problem with
scratching,just wash them occasionally in the washing up water .

Sam Salt

"Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do people here use eye protection at night and, if so, what are you
> using and just how good are they at dealing with oncoming headlights?

I use Rudy project Kerosene with interchangeable lenses. The clear ones are
excellent at night.

Ken