Using different tire sizes?

tasd

Jul 23, 2010
*Realized this question would be better off in the equipment thread. Sorry about the double post!*

Hey guys!

First off, just wanted to say thanks for all the help in recent months. I got my first real bike this year, and enjoyed every minute of tuning, correcting, and learning in general. I had so much fun, I decided to build a fixed gear to keep me from tinkering with my other bike :D

With the help of archived posts here and other forums, I have been able to get through everything thus far pain free. Now, I hit my first speed bump.

I was able to pick up a tec9 Deep V wheelset from a friend for cheap. The plan was to clean it up, paint it and put it on the new fixie. Time consuming, but no biggie right? Wrong.

I have never seen a tire this tight before. I snapped a lever trying to get it off myself, so decided to let a LBS give it a go. After about a half hour in the back, the mechanic comes out shocked asking me how in the world I was able to get it on there. He said it was the tightest he ever worked on.

These were pre-mounted tubes and tires from the company (700 x 25c), exactly as advertised.

So my question is, what do you think I should do? I dont want to put the work into the wheels, only to destroy them getting the tube/tire back on. Can I put a different size tire on? If so what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance. Glad I became part of this community :D

Switching to different size isn't raelly going to help. I would try a different brand or type. Did you strech your tires? I would suggest you try a folding tire, these are normally more flexable.