Using KK Power computer on Cycleops Fluid2

Thom_y

Aug 16, 2006
I decided to spend 50$ on the KK Power computer to use on my 2006 Cycleops FLuid2 trainer, as I wanted some estimation of power for my winter trainer sessions on my Trek 5200. I measured the wheel rollout (2109) for Michelin Carbon 700x23 and entered the recommended A & B constants in the computer. Having never had a power meter, I couldn't believe the numbers as they seemed way too high. And when I reviewed some of the threads of people who have tested their Cycleops Fluid2 trainers with a PT meter, it seems my computer is way off. For example, at 21 mph my KK meter was reading 350 W, while it seems others would suggest that the PT would read 285-295W. I tightened the flywheel the recommended 2.5 times after contact with the tire.

Has anyone found better constants to use in their KK Power computer with the Cycleops FLuid2, or have I just wasted $50.

Thanks.

Thom_y said:
I decided to spend 50$ on the KK Power computer to use on my 2006 Cycleops FLuid2 trainer, as I wanted some estimation of power for my winter trainer sessions on my Trek 5200. I measured the wheel rollout (2109) for Michelin Carbon 700x23 and entered the recommended A & B constants in the computer. Having never had a power meter, I couldn't believe the numbers as they seemed way too high. And when I reviewed some of the threads of people who have tested their Cycleops Fluid2 trainers with a PT meter, it seems my computer is way off. For example, at 21 mph my KK meter was reading 350 W, while it seems others would suggest that the PT would read 285-295W. I tightened the flywheel the recommended 2.5 times after contact with the tire.

Has anyone found better constants to use in their KK Power computer with the Cycleops FLuid2, or have I just wasted $50.

Thanks.

The conversion formula for the Fluid 2 is OFF big time....I noticed the same thing as you.

My suggestion....radical but you will eventually agree I think>>>>sell the Fluid 2 pronto(free add on Craiglist) and buy a Kurt. The Fluid 2 gets harder and harder to pedal over 30 minutes and then levels off but never perfectly.....There is no formula that will work for the Fluid 2 due to this fact.
The Kurt does not do this nor does it get easier to pedal as time passes like most other fluids.

Not only that but the Kurt just "feels" more road like with it's heavy flywheel....and it cannot leak.

Other option...keep the Fluid 2 and buy a power tap...then at least you will be able to hold a steady effort/power as a trainer ride passes by manipulating cadence and gearing as the Fluid 2 gets harder to pedal. This may be your best bet since you will eventually buy a power meter for the road right. :D