Using SRAM PowerLink with a Shimano chain???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jimmer23, Nov 12, 2005.

1. jimmer23

jimmer23 New Member

Has anyone tried this? My LBS didn't have anymore of the Wipperman conneX links that I usually use, so I picked these up. Seems to be ok, but didn't lock as tight as I'm accustomed to. Using on a 9 speed Dura Ace chain. Any thoughts?

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Sram gold link works on a shimano 9 chain.Folks been doing it for years.

3. jimmer23

jimmer23 New Member

Cool, that's what I thought. Thanks Boudreaux.

4. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

A few months ago I put a gold powerlink on my wife's Tiagra-equipped bike (it had some generic Shimano chain) and the powerlink was a good 1mm wider than the link it replaced. It was enough to cause it to catch on the front derailleur cage when she shifted, so I tossed the Shimano chain and threw a SRAM on.

Not sure why it happened other than the bike was shipped with some funky chain, but just check yours out after you install it to make sure you don't have the same problem.

5. jimmer23

jimmer23 New Member

Ok Boudreaux, still there? What do you think about using a 10-speed chain on an otherwise 9-speed drivetrain? The only reason I ask is that 1) there seems to be more choices these days in 10-speed chains, and 2) using a narrower 10-speed chain may slightly resolve some chainline issues I am having with my new crank (although I shouldn't be crosschaining anyway I suppose). I don't see why it wouldn't work, but who knows I could be overlooking something dumb done by Shimano such that just maybe the DA9 rear cogs are too fat for the narrower 10-speed chain. Thanks for your insight.

6. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

It'll work, but it's kind of pointless. There are plenty of 9 speed chains to be had. Just say no to cross chaining. Simple problem, simpler solution.

7. jimmer23

jimmer23 New Member

Word. Thanks.