Using the phone while riding

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
You may not believe but I have been seeing riders on the road who are using their phone while moving. I wonder what those riders think of the situation, that it is safe to do that or are they just daredevils with their riding? I don't know if there is already a law against the use of phone while riding but there is a law against a vehicle driver to use the phone while in front of the steering wheel whether the car is on a traffic stop or not.

I actually agree with you and feel that there should be a law against cyclists using their phones, if there isn’t one already where I live. Riding a bike with one hand and being distracted is just asking for an accident. They’re going to end up either losing their balance and hurting themselves (which I don’t really care for, play stupid games, win stupid prizes) but what’s worse is they can cause a motorist trauma by not paying attention to the road and end up getting hit by them.

Whenever I get a call on my bike, I always pull over onto the sidewalk and take it there.

I think there definitely should be a law if there isn't yet since it's even more dangerous compared to cars since you basically can't answer it hands-free.

While I can't speak for those riders, I can assure you that using a phone while cycling is incredibly dangerous. It not only puts the rider at risk, but also endangers others on the road. In many places, it's actually illegal, just like with driving a car. As for peloton dynamics, clear and timely communication is key, but that should never involve a phone. Let's prioritize safety and focus on the ride.