Using vintage Cinelli stem?

Kerry Montgomery

Guest
Hi all,
Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I taking
an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a test that
could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?
Thanks much,
Kerry

On Nov 9, 10:30 am, "Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I taking
> an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a test that
> could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?
> Thanks much,
> Kerry

Which Cinelli stem? The 1st generation 'hidden bolt' design was a
known problem. OTOH, I've used other various Cinelli stems for well
over 25 years without incident. One of the Cinellis I now have (bought
new) is 17 years and lotsa miles old. I never give riding it a second
thought.

"Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> writes:

>Hi all, Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s
>parts. Am I taking an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli
>stem? Is there a test that could be done to the stem to verify that
>it's sound? Thanks much, Kerry

First of all, if you're talking about using a Cinelli 1-A stem, they
were made all the way up through the early 1990's I think, so you
might be talking about something only 15 years old. Secondly, most of
the 1970's parts are incredibly beefy and robust (they were designed
without CAD); Cinelli stems were 310 grams, the bars were 320 grams,
which is 50% heavier than similar parts made today. Cinelli had a
reputation for being as tough as Campagnolo in the vintage era.

Ok, i'll lay down the gauntlet. I don't think you'll find many people
who have seen a Cinelli 1-A stem fail ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

"Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> writes:

>Hi all, Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s
>parts. Am I taking an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli
>stem? Is there a test that could be done to the stem to verify that
>it's sound? Thanks much, Kerry

First of all, if you're talking about using a Cinelli 1-A stem, they
were made all the way up through the early 1990's I think, so you
might be talking about something only 15 years old. Secondly, most of
the 1970's parts are incredibly beefy and robust (they were designed
without CAD); Cinelli stems were 310 grams, the bars were 320 grams,
which is 50% heavier than similar parts made today. Cinelli had a
reputation for being as tough as Campagnolo in the vintage era.

Ok, i'll lay down the gauntlet. I don't think you'll find many people
who have seen a Cinelli 1-A stem fail ...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On Nov 9, 9:38 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 9, 10:30 am, "Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I taking
> > an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a test that
> > could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?
> > Thanks much,
> > Kerry

> Which Cinelli stem? The 1st generation 'hidden bolt' design was a
> known problem. OTOH, I've used other various Cinelli stems for well
> over 25 years without incident. One of the Cinellis I now have (bought
> new) is 17 years and lotsa miles old. I never give riding it a second
> thought.

The Cinelli 1R creaked and didn't hold the bars, but, IIRC, it did not
have a reputation for breaking. I have 1A stems from the '70s that
are still going strong. I have never heard of one of these things
breaking. He will need 26.4mm bars, though. -- Jay Beattie.

On Nov 9, 9:38 am, Ozark Bicycle
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Nov 9, 10:30 am, "Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I taking
> > an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a test that
> > could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?
> > Thanks much,
> > Kerry

> Which Cinelli stem? The 1st generation 'hidden bolt' design was a
> known problem. OTOH, I've used other various Cinelli stems for well
> over 25 years without incident. One of the Cinellis I now have (bought
> new) is 17 years and lotsa miles old. I never give riding it a second
> thought.

The Cinelli 1R creaked and didn't hold the bars, but, IIRC, it did not
have a reputation for breaking. I have 1A stems from the '70s that
are still going strong. I have never heard of one of these things
breaking. He will need 26.4mm bars, though. -- Jay Beattie.

"Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
> Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I

taking
> an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a test

that
> could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?
> Thanks much,
> Kerry

Here's a link to info on early Cinelli stems and bars:

http://www.43bikes.com/cinelli-bars-stems.html

The Cinelli 1A forged aluminum stems at the bottom of the web page were
great. They were designed for use with 26.4mm Cinelli bars. Ambrosio also
made bars this size. A lot of the other companies like 3TTT and Nitto made
bars that were 25.8mm or 26mm in diameter. Many lower priced bars and
stems were 25mm.

As long as there are no cracks or deep scratches in Cinelli 1A stems and
they haven't been used with bars smaller than 26.4mm there should be no
problem.

Back in the early 1970s when Cinelli and 3TTT bars and stems were scarce,
it was common practice to use these stems with undersize bars. At the time
there were no warnings against this practice.

I had a Cinelli 1A stem that I used with a 25mm bar for about 32 years. I
had the set on a number of different bikes and thought all of the warnings
I've seen recently to be exaggerations.

The bars were only 38cm wide and a few months ago I decided to switch to
wider bars with this stem. When I tried to spread the clamp it broke right
across the front. I was surprised at how easily it cracked with very
little force. I've seen clamp bolts on Cinelli and 3TTT stems strip or
break when over tightening them to fit undersize bars but never the forged
aluminum stems.

Heed the warnings about not using these 26.4mm stems with undersize bars.

Cinelli also made a 1R model shown on the link above plus the 1XA shown on
the link below. One of these models had a bad reputation for breaking. It
was probably the 1R stems.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/cinelli-road.html

A later version of the 1XA, the 1XE used 26mm bars.

Chas.

"Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
> Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I

taking
> an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a test

that
> could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?
> Thanks much,
> Kerry

Here's a link to info on early Cinelli stems and bars:

http://www.43bikes.com/cinelli-bars-stems.html

The Cinelli 1A forged aluminum stems at the bottom of the web page were
great. They were designed for use with 26.4mm Cinelli bars. Ambrosio also
made bars this size. A lot of the other companies like 3TTT and Nitto made
bars that were 25.8mm or 26mm in diameter. Many lower priced bars and
stems were 25mm.

As long as there are no cracks or deep scratches in Cinelli 1A stems and
they haven't been used with bars smaller than 26.4mm there should be no
problem.

Back in the early 1970s when Cinelli and 3TTT bars and stems were scarce,
it was common practice to use these stems with undersize bars. At the time
there were no warnings against this practice.

I had a Cinelli 1A stem that I used with a 25mm bar for about 32 years. I
had the set on a number of different bikes and thought all of the warnings
I've seen recently to be exaggerations.

The bars were only 38cm wide and a few months ago I decided to switch to
wider bars with this stem. When I tried to spread the clamp it broke right
across the front. I was surprised at how easily it cracked with very
little force. I've seen clamp bolts on Cinelli and 3TTT stems strip or
break when over tightening them to fit undersize bars but never the forged
aluminum stems.

Heed the warnings about not using these 26.4mm stems with undersize bars.

Cinelli also made a 1R model shown on the link above plus the 1XA shown on
the link below. One of these models had a bad reputation for breaking. It
was probably the 1R stems.

http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/cinelli-road.html

A later version of the 1XA, the 1XE used 26mm bars.

Chas.

"Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Nov 9, 9:38 am, Ozark Bicycle
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Nov 9, 10:30 am, "Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> > Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I
>> > taking
>> > an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a test
>> > that
>> > could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?
>> > Thanks much,
>> > Kerry

>> Which Cinelli stem? The 1st generation 'hidden bolt' design was a
>> known problem. OTOH, I've used other various Cinelli stems for well
>> over 25 years without incident. One of the Cinellis I now have (bought
>> new) is 17 years and lotsa miles old. I never give riding it a second
>> thought.

> The Cinelli 1R creaked and didn't hold the bars, but, IIRC, it did not
> have a reputation for breaking. I have 1A stems from the '70s that
> are still going strong. I have never heard of one of these things
> breaking. He will need 26.4mm bars, though. -- Jay Beattie.

Hi all,
Thanks for the input; it sounds like I may not be risking my neck too much.
The 1A on this web page is (almost) the exact stem I have:
http://tinyurl.com/2b6sy9
My stem differs from the one in the photo in that mine has grooves similar
to the ones inside the XA shown further down the web page.
I couldn't find any designation on my stem, nor on its plastic bag, that
indicated which model. The stem is stamped with: Cinelli Milano Made in
Italy Reg N. 935128.
Oh, I do have the matching Cinelli bars, so no fit problems there.
Thanks again,
Kerry

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
> Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I taking
> an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a test that
> could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?

A Cinelli #1 chromed steel stem? No worries, ride with confidence.

Aluminum maybe not so much. NOS, sure; used may have a 'history'...
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
> Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I taking
> an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a test that
> could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?

A Cinelli #1 chromed steel stem? No worries, ride with confidence.

Aluminum maybe not so much. NOS, sure; used may have a 'history'...
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kerry Montgomery wrote:
>> Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I
>> taking an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a
>> test that could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?

> A Cinelli #1 chromed steel stem? No worries, ride with confidence.
>
> Aluminum maybe not so much. NOS, sure; used may have a 'history'...
> --

Andrew,
Thanks. Aluminum, NOS, its only history has been resting in a box in my
house for 30+ years.
Thanks,
Kerry

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kerry Montgomery wrote:
>> Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I
>> taking an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a
>> test that could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?

> A Cinelli #1 chromed steel stem? No worries, ride with confidence.
>
> Aluminum maybe not so much. NOS, sure; used may have a 'history'...
> --

Andrew,
Thanks. Aluminum, NOS, its only history has been resting in a box in my
house for 30+ years.
Thanks,
Kerry

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:

> "Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> >Hi all, Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s
> >parts. Am I taking an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli
> >stem? Is there a test that could be done to the stem to verify that
> >it's sound? Thanks much, Kerry

> First of all, if you're talking about using a Cinelli 1-A stem, they
> were made all the way up through the early 1990's I think, so you
> might be talking about something only 15 years old. Secondly, most of
> the 1970's parts are incredibly beefy and robust (they were designed
> without CAD); Cinelli stems were 310 grams, the bars were 320 grams,
> which is 50% heavier than similar parts made today. Cinelli had a
> reputation for being as tough as Campagnolo in the vintage era.
>
> Ok, i'll lay down the gauntlet. I don't think you'll find many people
> who have seen a Cinelli 1-A stem fail ...

I also run the Cinelli 1A stem. No hint of worry ever.

--
Michael Press

On Nov 9, 12:44 pm, "Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Kerry Montgomery wrote:
> >> Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I
> >> taking an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a
> >> test that could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?

> > A Cinelli #1 chromed steel stem? No worries, ride with confidence.

> > Aluminum maybe not so much. NOS, sure; used may have a 'history'...
> > --

> Andrew,
> Thanks. Aluminum, NOS, its only history has been resting in a box in my
> house for 30+ years.

If it's been stable this whole time--I'd risk it.

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
> Hi all,
> Have been thinking about building a bike using NOS 1970s parts. Am I taking
> an unreasonable risk, especially with the Cinelli stem? Is there a test that
> could be done to the stem to verify that it's sound?
> Thanks much,
> Kerry

while the aluminum could have aged slightly, this will have made it
stronger, not weaker. the only other consideration is the cinelli wedge
system can split steerer tubes if tightened excessively, but that's not
a function of age. other than that, you'll be fine.