Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Using XTC Giant X-country as a Tourer?

Started by Jake · · Last activity · 4 posts · 586 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
11 December 2003
Last activity
12 December 2003
Original author
Jake
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
586
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've got a Giant XTC 2003 model(12kg), only 17inch frame, with my 190cm tall
    body(85kg). DOesn't seem to cause much grief ergonomically with 200km week
    commuting because the seat sits quite high. But I'm not savvy on the pros
    and cons of touring frames and would appreciate some insights/insults
    regarding.

    Cheers,
    Jake

  2. Jake said:

    I've got a Giant XTC 2003 model(12kg), only 17inch frame, with my 190cm tall
    body(85kg). DOesn't seem to cause much grief ergonomically with 200km week
    commuting because the seat sits quite high. But I'm not savvy on the pros
    and cons of touring frames and would appreciate some insights/insults
    regarding.

    One source of problems can be the length of the chainstay
    WRT panniers. You need to be able to set your rear panniers
    back far enough so your heel doesn't hit them on the back-half
    of the pedal stroke. Of course there's a million ways around
    this, the foremost being not using rear panniers.
    Probably use a Bob yak or suchlike for off road?

    Is the XTC a dual suspension model ?
    If so, can you fit a normal rack - or do you need
    one of those seatpost attached versions...

    Anyway, the only other thing I can think to suggest is this:
    We found that in the first few weeks of touring we were both
    getting sore necks. We soon discovered that this was because
    we were craning our heads to wonder at the scenery. A more
    "relaxed" adjustment of the steering (i.e. raising the handlebars)
    seemed to fix it. Lets face it, if you're off touring, you
    don't want to be staring at the road, pounding away the kilometers.

    -kt

    --
    Kingsley Turner,
    (mailto: [email hidden])
    http://MadDogsBreakfast.com - Travel Tales: The good, bad, and down-right ugly

  3. Jake said:

    I've got a Giant XTC 2003 model(12kg), only 17inch frame, with my 190cm
    tall body(85kg). DOesn't seem to cause much grief ergonomically with
    200km week commuting because the seat sits quite high. But I'm not savvy
    on the pros and cons of touring frames and would appreciate some
    insights/insults regarding.
    Cheers, Jake

    I think the 17 inch frame a bit small for you at 190cms. I'm 188cms &
    ride either 18/19/20 depending on top tube length. That said, for a
    touring bike the XTC Giant could be a bit light. I checked out an XTC 1
    frame at a bike shop one day. Super light frame!, down tube felt like a
    beer can! I wouldn't be buying one & expecting a long life out of it.
    One blow from a stick or rock to the down tube could seriously
    compromise it's strength. It may ride really nice & be a great
    trail/race bike but I wouldn't think it a good start for a touring bike.
    The weight of all your gear plus you has to be suported by the bike.
    Does the XTC have rack mounts? or are you using a BoB trailer? I tour
    with an older MTB with BoB & can feel the frame flex quite a bit under
    full load. I'm using a 15 year old Ti frame that probably does flex more
    that a steel frame, but I'm using what I've got. If you're planning a
    long tour & to out of the way places, a steel MTB or purpose built
    touring bike would be the go.

    --

  4. Bikesoiler said:
    Jake said:

    I've got a Giant XTC 2003 model(12kg), only 17inch frame, with my 190cm
    tall body(85kg). DOesn't seem to cause much grief ergonomically with
    200km week commuting because the seat sits quite high. But I'm not savvy
    on the pros and cons of touring frames and would appreciate some
    insights/insults regarding.
    Cheers, Jake

    I think the 17 inch frame a bit small for you at 190cms. I'm 188cms &
    ride either 18/19/20 depending on top tube length.

    Heh, yeah, my bike is a 19 inch, and im 168 cm.
    *slaps bike shop people*
    wanna swap? its a giant boulder se 😉

    Quoted message said:

    That said, for a
    touring bike the XTC Giant could be a bit light. I checked out an XTC 1
    frame at a bike shop one day. Super light frame!, down tube felt like a
    beer can! I wouldn't be buying one & expecting a long life out of it.
    One blow from a stick or rock to the down tube could seriously
    compromise it's strength. It may ride really nice & be a great
    trail/race bike but I wouldn't think it a good start for a touring bike.
    The weight of all your gear plus you has to be suported by the bike.
    Does the XTC have rack mounts? or are you using a BoB trailer? I tour
    with an older MTB with BoB & can feel the frame flex quite a bit under
    full load. I'm using a 15 year old Ti frame that probably does flex more
    that a steel frame, but I'm using what I've got. If you're planning a
    long tour & to out of the way places, a steel MTB or purpose built
    touring bike would be the go.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.