USOC's latest scandal

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bikeadman, Feb 24, 2003.

  1. Bikeadman

    Bikeadman Guest

    <A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/24/sports/othersports/24OLYM.html">ht
    tp://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/24/sports/othersports/24OLYM.html</A>

    U.S.O.C. Ensnared in Another Controversy

    By RICHARD SANDOMIR

    lawyer for a former United States Olympic Committee executive said yesterday that confidential
    information about his client's relocation expenses was released to a Denver newspaper as part of an
    effort to force the organization's embattled chief executive, Lloyd Ward, from his position. "The
    release of confidential employee personnel documents and the subsequent dialogue about it creates a
    gross distortion," said Philip Hilder, the lawyer for Toby Wong, the executive who resigned earlier
    this month to pursue other business opportunities after only nine months as the Olympic committee's
    chief marketing officer. "It is patently obvious to me that current and former members of the
    U.S.O.C. are attempting to use Ms. Wong as a pawn in their attempts to remove Mr. Ward."

    The Denver Post reported yesterday that Wong received a $50,000 relocation bonus and subsequently
    billed the organization another $34,000 to stay in two Colorado Springs hotels while she planned to
    relocate from an apartment outside of Phoenix. Hilder said the contract was cleared by the
    U.S.O.C.'s compensation committee, and that it was clear to Wong that the $34,000 was approved by
    Ward. But Mike McManus, of the compensation committee, said he never saw Wong's contract calling for
    the bonus, rather that it was cleared by Ward and Paul George, the committee chairman. Senator Ben
    Nighthorse Campbell, Republican of Colorado, who has called for Ward's resignation, told The Denver
    Post that he had no doubt that Ward authorized Wong's hotel payments. "The C.E.O. authorizes things
    like that," he said. "The buck lands on Ward's desk." The Denver Post received detailed information
    about which days Wong stayed in the two hotels and how much the Olympic committee paid. She never
    relocated, but she was preparing to look for a residence in Colorado Springs. Ward was recently the
    subject of an ethics investigation into his directing a staff member to help advance a business
    proposal from his brother and a friend to provide backup power for the Pan American Games in August
    in the Dominican Republic. He eventually lost his $184,800 bonus for "creating the appearance of a
    conflict of interest." In the aftermath of the ethics investigation, six Olympic officials resigned,
    including Marty Mankamyer, the U.S.O.C. president. Ward was asked to step down in a private meeting
    on Jan. 12 with William J. Hybl, a former president, but he has refused to leave. But one of his
    public supporters, Bill Stapleton, a U.S.O.C. vice president, who led a group that forced
    Mankamyer's ouster, is said to be ready to seek Ward's resignation, three Olympic officials said.
    "Lloyd's outlived his usefulness to that group," said one member of the policy-making executive
    committee, who spoke on condition of anonymity. Stapleton could not be reached. "I have no knowledge
    of that," Ward said last night. "Your information is better than mine." He declined to comment on
    any details of the Wong matter. Dissatisfaction with Ward stems from the ethics investigation, his
    performance at a Senate Commerce Committee hearing in January into ethics problems at the
    organization and his refusal to resign from Augusta National Golf Club, a men's-only club. Last
    year, during the Salt Lake Winter Olympics, Ward said that he wanted to be his own chief marketing
    officer. But two months later, he hired Wong, a former executive for Coca-Cola and Nike. Wong, who
    was born in Canada, received an agreement that allowed her to commute from Arizona, where she had
    applied for United States citizenship. (Hilder said immigration officials required her to maintain
    that residence until her citizenship was approved.) Then, in negotiations for her severance package,
    she agreed to repay about half of the $34,000 in hotel expenses because of a dispute with the
    U.S.O.C. over personal and business costs. McManus said "some of the business expenses were deemed
    excessive." Hilder would not say why Wong did not use her relocation bonus to make her hotel
    payments. Last week, Hilder denied accusations made by Campbell that Wong was about to

    severance of nearly $150,000 constituted "hush money."

    Tags:

  2. Magni

    Magni Guest

    Time to put the Olympics out of their pain.

    Magni

    --
    Dear, you cannot drink gin and tonic in the middle of the night. You must have whisky to give you
    energy. --Margaret Thatcher

    "BikeAdman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    former
    > executive for Coca-Cola and Nike. Wong, who was born in Canada, received an agreement that
    > allowed her to
    commute
    > from Arizona, where she had applied for United States citizenship. (Hilder
    said
    > immigration officials required her to maintain that residence until her citizenship was approved.)
    > Then, in negotiations for her severance
    package, she
    > agreed to repay about half of the $34,000 in hotel expenses because of a dispute with the U.S.O.C.
    > over personal and business costs. McManus said
    "some
    > of the business expenses were deemed excessive." Hilder would not say why Wong did not use her
    > relocation bonus to make her hotel payments. Last week, Hilder denied accusations made by Campbell

    her
    > severance of nearly $150,000 constituted "hush money."

  3. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

  4. "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Magni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Time to put the Olympics out of their pain.
    >
    > They did that when they allowed professionals into the Olympics.

    Oh, right Tom. Like the athletes of the 50's and 60's from eastern european countries, and the
    soviet union???? more professional than 92% of the D3 US "PRO" bikers. And that refers to most of
    the sports.

    You are quite possibly the author of the Most Stupid Posts in this newsgroup!

    Keep it up, dumbass!

    Thanks, Ronde Chumpion